what to feed feeder insects??

Puddlesngramps

Arachnopeon
How can I make 100% sure that I'm giving my dubia roaches pesticide free veggies? What else should I feed them that is also safe for tarantulas?

I'm also considering trying crickets out, but haven't looked into their care yet.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
My dubias get apples, oranges, and dog food. My crickets get poultry feed.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
For the small spiderlings, I’ve heard breeders feed them meal worm slices (If you are considering raising various feeders.)

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Never worried about pesticides on veggies, and won't start now. 75% fruits/vegetables/grains straight out of the fridge and pantry, 25% protein (dry dog food).

Jimmyboi

Arachnopeon
I wash all of my produce. You can also remove the skin if you're worried about any foliar spray!

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
For fruits, I mostly use carrots, bananas and apples. Just wash the fruit first, then peel it.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
How can I make 100% sure that I'm giving my dubia roaches pesticide free veggies? What else should I feed them that is also safe for tarantulas?

I'm also considering trying crickets out, but haven't looked into their care yet.
Personally just freeze all your Dubia's and get some real roaches like Blatta lateralis and Eublaberus posticus.

I feed my roaches roach chow, (which I also feed to my crickets). B. lateralis I would feed apples plus roach chow.

E. posticus I feed roach chow, apples, oranges, (once in a great while not often, oranges act as an aphrodisiac) fed them raw spinach leaves today before heading to work.

You can research on everything you can feed them, alot of info out there.

Eublaberus posticus will be hard to find, not abundantly sold. B. lateralis you'll find.

Last edited:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Honestly, I never washed the veggies I gave my roaches. I never lost a single animal to pesticide poisoning.

If you're super worried about it, I'd feed oats for calories, fish food for protein, and potatoes for moisture. This seems to be the safest combination, IMO.

Like it or not, anything you feed is going to have pesticides and I have honestly not heard of a single keeper losing anything to pesticides fed in food. I could be wrong (e.g. dog food and roach growth inhibitors seems like a genuine issue) but everything will be trial and error.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Emm...are B. dubia not real roaches? I'm curious what you have against them.
Do you have adult T's?

When my T's hit about the 3 inch dls size they flat out refuse to eat Dubia roaches. Every single one of them used them as foot stools minus my arboreals. My arboreals would find them and leave'em.

I didn't use them for long due to that. 1 inch slings up to about 2.5 inches will eat them. They are a waste of money. If you don't live in Florida or other Southern states that don't allow them try those roaches and you'll see the difference.

I'm only referring to tarantulas not other other animals.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Personally just freeze all your Dubia's and get some real roaches like Blatta lateralis and Eublaberus posticus.

I feed my roaches roach chow, (which I also feed to my crickets). B. lateralis I would feed apples plus roach chow.

E. posticus I feed roach chow, apples, oranges, (once in a great while not often, oranges act as an aphrodisiac) fed them raw spinach leaves today before heading to work.

You can research on everything you can feed them, alot of info out there.

Eublaberus posticus will be hard to find, not abundantly sold. B. lateralis you'll find.
Which roaches don’t climb plastic:/glass and are large enough to feed lasiodora ?
Which roaches do good room temperature?
My dubia are struggling I don’t know if they will ever breeed .

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
Do you have adult T's?

When my T's hit about the 3 inch dls size they flat out refuse to eat Dubia roaches. Every single one of them used them as foot stools minus my arboreals. My arboreals would find them and leave'em.

I didn't use them for long due to that. 1 inch slings up to about 2.5 inches will eat them. They are a waste of money. If you don't live in Florida or other Southern states that don't allow them try those roaches and you'll see the difference.

I'm only referring to tarantulas not other other animals.
Yup, and IME most of them take dubias with no trouble.
Haven't tried other roaches except red runner nymphs yet, maybe they are better.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Yup, and IME most of them take dubias with no trouble.
Haven't tried other roaches except red runner nymphs yet, maybe they are better.
That's amazing then, all of my T's as soon as they hit sub-adult would never take another Dubia.

All my terrestrials would just stick one foot on it and that was about it.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
Dubias eat anything.. from leftover fruits and veggies to repashy bug burger.

Crickets and worms eat bug burger the best

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Big bug burger?:rofl::D
I'd like to think that plant-based burgers (like black bean burgers from Morningstar Farms) would be good feeders, but you get better bang for your buck from dog/cat/fish food combined with frozen/thawed apples.

Maybe as a supplement.