What to expect with P. metallica sling growth

5dice

Arachnopeon
I'm not planning on overfeeding or rushing development. Not planning on breeding at this point. Just want a good, healthy T for a good lifespan. Currently the 1" sling is living in a spacious (2 1/2" w X 2 1/2" d X 4" tall) Pico de Gallo seasoning bottle.

How long before I can expect to have to re-house? I know that each T is different. Depends on heat, humidity and food. But ballpark... 6 months? A year? Two?

I think I'm going to go Exo Terra from now on for anything bigger than a sling, IF it makes sense. The Exo Terra Nano (their smallest) is 8x8x12. Is that too big for the first re-house? Seems like it might be. Which means I'll need to find a smaller home in-between? Will nano be about right for full grown, or would the 12x12x18 be a better choice at adult size?

Thanks, in advance!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I have just rehoused my 5" girl frim the Nano to the next size up. She was a little cramped in the Nano. As I feel she has a bit of growth still to come I got her the bigger one for the rest of her days.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm not planning on overfeeding or rushing development. Not planning on breeding at this point. Just want a good, healthy T for a good lifespan. Currently the 1" sling is living in a spacious (2 1/2" w X 2 1/2" d X 4" tall) Pico de Gallo seasoning bottle.

How long before I can expect to have to re-house? I know that each T is different. Depends on heat, humidity and food. But ballpark... 6 months? A year? Two?

I think I'm going to go Exo Terra from now on for anything bigger than a sling, IF it makes sense. The Exo Terra Nano (their smallest) is 8x8x12. Is that too big for the first re-house? Seems like it might be. Which means I'll need to find a smaller home in-between? Will nano be about right for full grown, or would the 12x12x18 be a better choice at adult size?

Thanks, in advance!
@Toxoderidae for some comments ;)

If your sling is like 1-2" after it molts, I'd not put it into a Nano for the reason I mention below, I tend to be more cautious when it comes to my critters eating. Though, I do believe one could put it in a Nano small have it thrive. Depends on how diligent the owner is IMO.

There's different lines of thought in rehousing. Some believe in rehousing incrementally, some don't see a problem with dropping their tiny T into a large FINAL container immediately, they often say (well they live in the jungle, and that's HUGE in size etc etc).

What we don't know is how much volume they actually live in at different points in their life cycle for a given species. Most of this knowledge is not known for the majority of T species.

A main reason why some people rehouse gradually is to increase the probability of prey/predator interactions. A small T MAY not find the food in a large setup for many reasons.

For a small Poki sling, I'd put it in something that is large enough to make it feel secure so that when you do husbandry it won't do laps around the tank and leave hah.

I've seen AF P. metallica's run full speed in person, despite being smaller for a Poki, they are very, very fast compared to their Poki cousins. Don't underestimate its speed because of its size.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
32oz deli is perfect past 1.5''. as @viper69 said, very fast and flighty. Out of my 3, I have one that has no fears, one that is extremely skittish, and one that is just kinda "there" growth rate is not fast, even with a ton of eating and high temperatures. My male, who I've had for about a year come october has molted twice in my care, now he is about 1.5 inches and is in a Jamie's AMAC box. So not fast growing, but voracious eaters once they get over that little sling fear of everything. One of the more fun pokies to keep and rehouse to me.