What to do when you get bit?

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Before you go after me about combining ibuprofin and booze I'm going to go in record as saying I've consumed prodigious amounts of the latter followed by ibuprofin for...oh...about 20 years and never had a problem.

BigBryan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i was also wondering if the alcohol thing was a joke. but now that i think about it alcohol + pain killer = wont feel a thing lol. makes sense

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The problem is knowing when you've taken too much ibuprofen or drank too much booze, or both.

If you don't know how well your body can handle it, you could easily kill yourself.

Jackuul

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What if you don't partake in the consumption of alcohol (a teetotaler like myself) and do get tagged? Is there any alternate for numbing the pain?

I did have a nice wasp sting last week (it hid under the car handle! It knew what it was doing, that beeep) and I did have some minor pain, but I treated that with first squeezing from the sides the poison, which cam out as a clear liquid, followed by sucking and spitting, then some rubbing alcohol, neosporin, and 6 ibprofins. One thing I did notice was my heart began to beat at a brisk pace for about half an hour, and I did have a minor headache, but that was about it.

So, if a T 'bite' is as bad as that, great. But if it's worse, then what?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How much do you weigh to be taking 6 ibuprofen? I'd think 2 would be sufficient...

Jackuul

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ibuprofen is not as toxic as people make it out to be.

[edit]I have to stop misspelling ibuprofen. I keep forgetting that darn u.
[edit 2] For myself to even reach near the toxic levels I would need to take around 50 ibuprofen 200mg capsules. 1200 is chickenfeed compared to that. Even a 50kg (110 lb) human would need to take 5,000 mg, or 25 200 mg pills to be near the beginning of the toxic levels - and even then from person to person it varies. It can cause bleeding of course, and gastrointestinal side effects and also all that other stuff if you do consistent high doses, but it is a heck of a lot less toxic than aspirin. I usually never take pain medications anyways, and when I do it is because I am in real pain.

Last edited:

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If it was 9/10 of college students would die within their first week at school. Who didn't drink themselves into oblivion then throw a handful of ibuprofen down their throat before passing out?

Dave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

[edit]I have to stop misspelling ibuprofen. I keep forgetting that darn u.
Over the counter painkillers due a number on your liver long term. Sure, you can take a bunch of them with really no immediate side effects, but over time you're killing your liver.
Come to think of it, alcohol does the same thing...

Jackuul

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If it was 9/10 of college students would die within their first week at school. Who didn't drink themselves into oblivion then throw a handful of ibuprofen down their throat before passing out?
Teetotlers like myself, although I might be the only one.

Over the counter painkillers due a number on your liver long term. Sure, you can take a bunch of them with really no immediate side effects, but over time you're killing your liver.
The rarity that I do use them means my system is pretty much fine. Organic foods I have been doing for a few years, and the future purchase of a reverse osmosis filter so that I can save my pineal gland from calcification is next.

Otherwise I might be stuck with taking melatonin for my insomnia issues for the rest of my friggen life. At least it gives me my dreams back.

So back to spider bites! Would it be worse than the wasp sting I received, and are there any alternates to alcohol for lessening any swelling or bodily discomfort caused by the venom?

Also, if I extract the venom quickly (syringe) would that have an immediate effect on the outcome of envenomation, pain, etc, if I get a 'wet' hit?

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We're not discussing long term use of pain killers and alcohol.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So back to spider bites! Would it be worse than the wasp sting I received, and are there any alternates to alcohol for lessening any swelling or bodily discomfort caused by the venom?

Also, if I extract the venom quickly (syringe) would that have an immediate effect on the outcome of envenomation, pain, etc, if I get a 'wet' hit?
Of course alcohol use is not required in the treatment of tarantula bites, lol. Pain killers and benedryl (whose aid in these situations is questionable but can't hurt) are options. The hospital undoubtedly has stronger pain killers and other medications for severe symptoms. Everything I've ever read about venom extraction and T bites has indicated it's of no use.

rvtjonny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
that's freaking awesome!

what, praytell, lead you to the conclusion all that crap is a good idea?

i hope you are joking... mixing painkillers + muscle relaxers + alcohol is completely stupid to take. throw an epipen into the mix and my only hope is that it kills you and doesn't just give you brain damage so your body craps up the medical system for the next 20 years
Thanks dude :? Do you have a bug up your ss or something? I don't normally take any kind of drugs for any reason nor am i an alcoholic so think ill live another day to tell about it. thinking maybe you need a drink today :D

blix

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ive never been bit...but from reading bite reports i think the best thing to do is take some Benadyrl a shot of stiff liquor and then just relax and wait for the magic to happen. ive been waiting for my first bite and i know its going to be from something ridiculous like my H. mac or my Pokie. But from what i know trying to seperate ur self from the wound (aka bleeding or cutting) is just a pointless endeavor and will likely lead to worse problems. also going to the hospital is probably worthless because from what ive seen most doctors look at you like ur an idiot for messing with tarantulas and they give u some motrin and a bill for $900 dollars lmao. sooooo not being a pro at gettin bit this is just anecdotal but from what ive gathered chilling ur ass out with some motrin and some anti-histamines are ur best option.
So you are giving a long advice on something you've never experienced? ...

Dave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We're not discussing long term use of pain killers and alcohol.
If you get tagged once a year and down 6 pk's and a shot of hard liquor, here's to you. Good luck with the liver.

This seems to be turning into an argument that's going round and round with two different viewpoints, so I've said what I needed to say and won't be commenting on the alcohol thing anymore in this thread.
No hard (liquor) feelings. I don't want to cause any pain(killers). (Ok, my jokes really "bite"). Honestly though, I'm just trying to take the "sting" out of the debate. OK! I'll stop... (my liver from working properly) :D :D

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks dude :? Do you have a bug up your ss or something? I don't normally take any kind of drugs for any reason nor am i an alcoholic so think ill live another day to tell about it. thinking maybe you need a drink today :D
Andrew's a great guy but I agree he's probably having a lousy day. God knows I've had them.

Dreamslave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Come on people! Most bites from t's won't even necessitate the use of any type of painkiller or alcohol or crystal meth or whatever! Stop debating about if you should get drunk/high or not when being bit!!! Just like a bee sting for none-allergic people, do you take painkillers or get drunk? Come on!!! :wall:

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Come on people! Most bites from t's won't even necessitate the use of any type of painkiller or alcohol or crystal meth or whatever! Stop debating about if you should get drunk/high or not when being bit!!! Just like a bee sting for none-allergic people, do you take painkillers or get drunk? Come on!!! :wall:
We're not talking about dry bites. How many times have you been on the receiving end of a big old worlder pumping and dumping? How do you address the situation?