what to do when the power is out

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
With the recent power outs from storms, and reading posts from a member whose collection died because if power outs, I would like to make a thread dedicated to what solutions can be used in case someone's power is out for hours or days. The info is already here on AB,but iI would like to collect it in one place.
Some solutions I have read so far:
Heating bricks on a grill, and place these close to but not on top or right beside the enclosures.

Cook water on a grill, fill bottles with this water and place them near the enclosures

Make use of insulation, thermoboxes, heat packs, Styrofoam.

Maybe add some info about how to evacuate as soon as possible in case of emergency?
Thanks for any and all respose!

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've tried hot water bottles under a thick blanket to heat only a few tarantulas though I think these only lasted for a few hours. Perhaps the blankets weren't insulating enough.

As far as materials holding heat longer (heat capacity) though, water is probably the best choice for every day materials. Also, don't add salt! The more pure it is, the better it will hold heat.

Another option: you could always sleep with them under the covers. ;)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I have never dealt with a power outage while owning a pet. But here is my two cents worth.

Disposable thermal blankets can be bought in quantity and they don't take up much space when in storage.

You wouldn't have time to build it after the fact, but some people who have large windows facing the sun have built powerless heaters using a bunch of aluminum cans housed mostly in four boards and two window panes. It won't spread heat out without a fan, but would provide something. Google it for details

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
How can you read this thread if you have a blackout??
Good point :p
However, some people managed to get posts on here by using family and friends, or their own provider. As long as the battery of the phone is loaded, it is possible.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Electric generators* and you're done.

Or, like Occupy Wall Street fellas did, those bicycles connected to a motor and a diode, but I'm not sure if that's enough for defeat the likes of Blankfein and such, uhm. Bullets are better, IMO :-s

* Not joking, I have one in the cellar if I need (however I didn't buy back then that for T's)

creepa

Arachnoknight
Good point :p
However, some people managed to get posts on here by using family and friends, or their own provider. As long as the battery of the phone is loaded, it is possible.
The last blackout we had here in the Netherlands near Amsterdam included mobile phone and mobile internet so if that happens again we still cant read this thread...

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Anyway another option when there's a (serious) black out is... T's, really? Nope. Trash & raid everything, like in the Big Apple during that one of '77 ah ah.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Keep 72 hour heat packs on hand. Move enclosures to an interior room or closet.
Multiple sling enclosures can fit in a cooler with a heat pack- make sure it's vented. Resist the urge to check on them. Every time you open the door, lid, etc, warmth is lost.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The last blackout we had here in the Netherlands near Amsterdam included mobile phone and mobile internet so if that happens again we still cant read this thread...
That sounds like a covert weapons test to be honest.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I have a wood stove ;), also a lot of gas fireplaces will still work in a power outage, most of them have a pilot or ignition button.

creepa

Arachnoknight
I have a gasoline generator but its on my boat so i have to get it first...

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
That sounds like a covert weapons test to be honest.
A weapons test? In the Netherlands?? Lol, nope, we use the forests in Germany or Belgium for that...
More likely that some dumb*** connected the wrong wires, or decided that the best spot for planting a tree was in his garden, but that cable was in the way....:p

cold blood

Staff member
A weapons test? In the Netherlands?? Lol, nope, we use the forests in Germany or Belgium for that...
More likely that some dumb*** connected the wrong wires, or decided that the best spot for planting a tree was in his garden, but that cable was in the way....:p
key word was covert...that means the people would be completely in the dark about it...ya know, a big secret.;)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
key word was covert...that means the people would be completely in the dark about it...ya know, a big secret.;)
I know. But in a country this small, and the area that Creepa referred to, so overpopulated, that is simply not possible ;)