what to do about taking off the chelicerates ot a tarantula?

napalm

Arachnopeon
well, here's the story, some years ago when I wasn't into tarantulas, a cousin (one of those guys you wish you had nothing to do with) brought 2 tarantulas that some local kids had given him as a "gift".
The local kids had taken off their chelicerates so they didnt bite, he didnt seem to care alot, he saw it more as a toy to his kids than as a living animal I guess.
I only knew that, as every other spider, they would have no way of eating, and needless to say, I knew some time later thay they had died.
the question would be, what would be the best way to deal with that situation, euthanize the tarantulas as soon as possible?

the only happiness for me was that they got urthicaria, hehehe

Cthulhu1254

Arachnopeon
Well that would probably depend on the extent of the damage and the health of the spider. If he's a nice fat little guy he might be able to tough it out until his next molt, and if the damage isn't great, regrow the chelicerae so that it can eat again. I'm not really sure if that would result in working chelicerae after just the first molt, I don't have any experience with lost limbs. In any case it might not be necessary to euthanize it until the abdomen gets dangerously small. They can go quite a while without eating under normal circumstances so you could get a good while of enjoyment out of the poor spider before the end.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Or you could cup the tarantula in your hands, crush a cricket and then place it on his fangs.

They'll generally eat like that. There's a bunch of threads on this subject. The one you want to look for involves a theraphosa blondi.