What they call home....

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Question on Enclosures mainly for my A. Geniculata.

OK shes currently in a pet pal with a mix of potting soil and verma with a small water dish and a hide and thats it. I was wondering ,maybe when shes gets a bigger tank,what plants are good for her enclosure?I brought some fresh moss which ill stick down when shes hardened and i heard about keeping Venus Fly traps, i wouldnt mind putting one of them in. But are there any other plants which will grow well in her enclosure which you people will suggest :)

Her enclosure is usually around 80 Humidity and 81 temp

thanks people

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I have tried live plants with my a. avicularia, and all I got was mold, stink, and roots! I have since switched to silk plants. You can cut them and shape them to make an attractive arrangement, they are washable and they come in just about every variety you can imagine. Plus, they on't grow and will stay EXACTLY as you arranged them. I spend too much time taking care of my Ts already, so just flopped with live plants!!

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In my opinion moss is a no-no; it'll encourage cricket reproduction if a female decides to lay eggs at it.. on the upper hand though, a cricket is more likely to eat this than your spider if it comes to moulting

you can't go wrong with fake plants, I frequently steal bits from my mothers :D

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've found philodendrons to stay alive pretty well, and the Zamifolia I put in with my Avic seems quite invincible.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use live plants that I know arn't finicky and picky.
If they have lived in my house and not rolled up and died between the kids and cats. Then I know they'll do ok inside the enclosiers.
I don't use moss because I don't want to make a cricket nursery in the tanks. And I will use fake plants as well.
I just have a few live plants. So cleaned them up and put them into use.
When decorating an enclosier the twins and I have a ' anything that's safe and will fit is open decoration game.' view. :)

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
so moss is a big no no?doh! i got a big bag of the stuff lol >_<

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by Grael
so moss is a big no no?doh! i got a big bag of the stuff lol >_<
It's not a big no-no... it just depends on whether you want to deal with potential pinheads running all over ... not saying it WOULD happen... just that it can, and is a bit more likely with moss... I have used dried Forest Moss stuff for awhile now, and no problems... of course, I don't go mist-crazy like some people either... ;)

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mister Internet
It's not a big no-no... it just depends on whether you want to deal with potential pinheads running all over ... not saying it WOULD happen... just that it can, and is a bit more likely with moss... I have used dried Forest Moss stuff for awhile now, and no problems... of course, I don't go mist-crazy like some people either... ;)
so are there any benefits from putting moss in a T enclosure?

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes - as I wrote earlier cricks will feast on it rather than your spider. Plus it looks nice :)

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
I don't know about T's, but my centipedes LOVE it for using as a hide instead of a "hard" hide.... just put a pile of forest moss in the enclosure and they will wiggle around in that and feel safe, no need for a hide...

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mister Internet
I don't know about T's, but my centipedes LOVE it for using as a hide instead of a "hard" hide.... just put a pile of forest moss in the enclosure and they will wiggle around in that and feel safe, no need for a hide...
only pet i got is nova :D i chucked in some of that moss in my cricket tank so they can feast on it ^_^ so i got some use for it