what... the...???

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Okay, opinions needed please. I think my A. geniculata is in the process of moulting but I'm really not sure because she's in such a strange position. She's definately premoult because her pink patch on her abdomen is totally black now.

About an hour or so ago she started webbing frantically all over the walls and floor of her little corner.

She's now propped against the side of the tank in a REALLY odd position. Left side is up against the tank and the right is just stuck out in mid air. I've taken some pics but I'm not sure how well you'll be able to tell her position from them.

All of her legs are moving VERY slightly back and forth a fraction of a millimetre.

front view;

Arial view;

What the hell's she doing? Moulting in a funny position or just playing sillybuggers? :)

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
haha, that looks funny, i read that some T's molt on thier side, so maybe thats what shes doing, she's kind of on her side i guess, i'm not to sure, maybe shes playing "make the human worried" game. haha. If she is molting you will know in a few hours. good luck.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I had a G. rosea molt on her side once.
Have your camera ready and get as many pics. as you can.
Sideways molts dont happen often and they are the best to photo.

Good luck with the molt and pictures.

Ernie

Last edited:

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
didn't touch her, just left her to it... the result? One happily moulted geniculata :)

She’s grown one hell of a lot! She I’m going to move her to a bigger tank that I have when she’s all hardened off because she’s grown so much. I really can’t believe how much bigger she is. Have just this second managed to get a full-length shot of her because she’s come out of hiding and is now filling her water bowl in.

ISN'T SHE CUTE!!!!!!

And here’s her skin. 5cm end to end

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
wow those are most probably the best molting pics ive seen! nice Geniculata by the way ^_^

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Those are definitely some nice pics. Very good for showing how the fangs are soft and white when freshly molted.

John
];')

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, so soft and completely white :) I was a little shocked at how big they look though!

Anyway, she was sold to me as a female, and I think she is from looking this picture. You can obviously see a little pouchy groove thing between her booklungs;

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :) The abdomen shed skin isn't too great, so I really can't tell the sex from that.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
I agree: excellent pictures! Congratulations on a successful molt.

Joy

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
:D Congrats on a molt well done, and a lovely T, shes really beautiful...

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:) cool pics , mine is due to molt anytime now too. also i should be going to collect my trinidad chevron tomorrow(monday , 24)=D but if he , the chappie im going to see has anything else thats interesting i,ll see if i can afford more:rolleyes: just out of interest where abouts in leicester?

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by ithuriel
:) cool pics , mine is due to molt anytime now too. also i should be going to collect my trinidad chevron tomorrow(monday , 24)=D but if he , the chappie im going to see has anything else thats interesting i,ll see if i can afford more:rolleyes: just out of interest where abouts in leicester?
small village near Market Bosworth, how about you? I've never found an exotic pet shop in Leics, do you might sharing where your supplier is?? :D

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:) i live just off the saffron lane , next to the estate but its pretty quiet here most times. i go to a small shop near wigston on burleigh avenue to get my crics n stuff . basically he is a herpatologist(sp) but also sells spiders too. i know he had a blondi n some pokes plus a smithi n fireleg but im getting my chevron from someone who supplies to the pettrade. he has his own huge collection of snakes , reptiles plus some scorpions n Ts and also lives in wigston. i,ll ask him tomorrow if its ok to give you his number n you can talk to him then , seems a nice enough chap. his name is matt by the way:rolleyes: sometimes id forget my head if it wasnt screwed on

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah brilliant, Wigston isn't far away at all. I can't even find any cricket suppliers you see and I refuse to go to petsmart. I'm actually in Manchester at uni at the moment, near a very good tarantula stockist but I'll be home for Easter so I'll nip over to Wigston and have a look then :)

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:) remember its on burleigh avenue , they have a site on the net , scales and tales.com , if i remember correctly:? though granary pets in wigston proper also sells crics n locust they hardly ever have any inverts in there though it was the store i got the number for matt from:) i just asked n they gave:D

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My li'l Boehmei freaked me out one time when she was small 'cause she was trying to molt on her side. She was all stiff and on her side and I thought she was dead.....what a tricker!