What tarantula spins the most webs

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love webs. I don't know why but I think it is so cool. So what tarantula webs the most and what tarantulas spin funnel webs.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First that comes to mind is GBB. My P. crassipes is also a pretty heavy webber.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
P. murinus has to be up there with the top webbers. Although i've seen some horned baboon species with some seriously impressive webbing also.

Lorum

Arachnosquire
Also, Chilobrachys fimbriatus. IME, spiderlings of Lampropelma violaceopes and Heteroscodra maculata spin a lot of web too (in the enclosure, not only as funnel webs).

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Of the nine different T's I have kept (I can list if you would like but mostly the common ones) definitely C. cyaneopubescens and P. murinus (GBB and OBB). My avics webbed a bit but nothing like those two. The OBB laid down a mat of webbing on the floor of the tank and would literally crawl underneath it and stalk crickets from below :D

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They aren't tarantulas, but they are called funnel web tarantulas, check out Acanthogonatus francki and pissi. They arent theraphosidae species, but they are Nemesiidae. Theyre like little dwarf tarantulas. They web A LOT.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i think my murinus is defective, its neither defensive (anymore) nor a heavy webber. i guess thats what i get for taking in charity cases... :wall:

(i'm joking, btw. it has a pretty sweet tunnel, but i was hoping for the murinus standard extra thick webbing everywhere when i got it.)

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I also love webbers. I agree with P. murinus and C. cyaneopubescens. Also, H. incei is a good webber.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I can vouch for the GBB, and A. pissi as heavy webbers. The A. pissi's web is very strong and thick, almost like that of an eggsac. She had webbed her waterdish to her web and it was like ripping through thin cardboard to get it out.

I'll also add C. fimbriatus and C. perezmilesi. Both are heavy webbers, though not as much as the GBB or pissi. I've also had an OBT for a week now, and so far no huge web action. Hopefully she'll be a heavy webber too!

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Out of my OBT, GBB, H. mac and C. fimbriatus. I have to hand it to the C. fimbriatus. Anything Chilobrachys is a amaizing webber. No waiting for webs either. My GBB and C. huahini are having a webbing race. Oh, and not to mention C. huahini pushes 8" and is very animated! They make lots of "trip wires" too. :clap: They have a pinkish/yellow color changing look.

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
Out of my OBT, GBB, H. mac and C. fimbriatus. I have to hand it to the C. fimbriatus. Anything Chilobrachys is a amaizing webber. No waiting for webs either. My GBB and C. huahini are having a webbing race. Oh, and not to mention C. huahini pushes 8" and is very animated! They make lots of "trip wires" too. :clap: They have a pinkish/yellow color changing look.
I second this! My. Chilobrachys fimbriatus has covered every square inch of its enclosure.

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Avicularia minitrix hands down the best webber I have, everything in the enclosure is covered with a blanket of webbing.

Art

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In my experience..

-C. cyaneopubescens (GBB) - Filled his enclosure with a huge tube web. Stopped all of the webbing since his mature molt though.

-A. purpurea - She is in one of those Micheal's plastic rectangular cubes, lid filled with substrate on the bottom. The entire top of her enclosure is a big tube web with a tube web that leads down and out on each corner. Really impressed with the amount she webbed up.

-P murinus (OBT) - I've had mixed results with the 3 that I own. The 2 I have from SharpFang have been opposites since day 1 in their new homes. One climbed to the top and made an Avic-like tube web that it has now extended across the top, all the way down to the substrate where it dug out an elaborate tunnel. The other dug straight into the ground and has made a nice little tunnel, but webbing.. none lol.

In a separate OBT case, web all around the enclosure. Where's the substrate? IDK all I see is WEB! {D

-C. fasciatum - Has webbed similar to my GBB actually. She dug out a shallow trench and followed up with a nicely constructed tube web throughout. I'd say it's about 60% of what my GBB had.

last but not least...

- C. darlingi - I have 5 growing babies.. Well, they're all about 2" now. Elaborate tunneling systems in each enclosure, and web all over the place. Sometimes I have to tear the lids off because they web it up so much! lol

Last edited:

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I <3 C. Fasciatum

and I'm with OP. Webbing is freaking awesome. Love Ts that web a lot.

Niloticus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Heavy webbing t's.

I've been pretty fortunate to have a good variety of spiders that I've kept over the years and think back at some of the crazy webs they make. Heck, there's tons toward the top as far as webbing: chilobrachys, avics, malaysian earth tiger, obt, pokes, skeletons, sun tiger, so many, too many to name them all even. :drool:

Niloticus