What Species of Avic i this?

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
There is no specie called Avicularia metallica it´s Avicularia cf. metallica

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
hmmm . . . was not aware of that distinction - thanks for the info.
Cf means confer (compare) = Avicularia "probably" metallica

It is not even sure the real Avicularia metallica exists in the hobby, many holotypes and descriptions where destroyed during ww2 so there is no material left to compare it to.

There are 2 different Avicularia cf. metallica in the hobby.

Avicularia cf. metallica "Cayenne, French Guyana"
This is the most common one in the hobby with reddish hair on the sides of the abdomen and on the front part of the abdomen closest to carapace.

Avicularia cf. metallica "Surinam"
This is from the same locality as the real A. metallica is described from and could possible be the real A. metallica but that we might never know? This one has a completely black abdomen without any red hairs.

John Kanker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There is no specie called Avicularia metallica it´s Avicularia cf. metallica
well it is listed in the wsc

mf metallica Ausserer, 1875....................Suriname [urn:lsid:amnh.org:spidersp:001816]
A. m. Ausserer, 1875: 185 (Df).
A. m. Peters, 2003: 89, f. 359, 362 (Dm).

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well it is listed in the wsc

mf metallica Ausserer, 1875....................Suriname [urn:lsid:amnh.org:spidersp:001816]
A. m. Ausserer, 1875: 185 (Df).
A. m. Peters, 2003: 89, f. 359, 362 (Dm).
Read again what i wrote, the holotypes are gone

John Kanker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Read again what i wrote, the holotypes are gone
you said there is NO species called Avicularia metallica.
and I just pointed out that there is a species called Avicularia metallica. the fact that the holotypes have gone or the paper is rubbish or what we have in the hobby should be called Avicularia cf. metallica is irelivant because there is still a spider described as Avicularia metallica so there is a spider that is called Avicularia metallica, only we do not know which it is.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
you said there is NO species called Avicularia metallica.
and I just pointed out that there is a species called Avicularia metallica. the fact that the holotypes have gone or the paper is rubbish or what we have in the hobby should be called Avicularia cf. metallica is irelivant because there is still a spider described as Avicularia metallica so there is a spider that is called Avicularia metallica, only we do not know which it is.
Yes, you are correct, i shouldnt have written the way i did, but they should always be spelled with cf.

Zman181

Arachnoknight
I'll take better pics and post them soon. I'm really confused with this one. I've seen Peru purple Avicularia sp which closely resemble this specimen.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Cf means confer (compare) = Avicularia "probably" metallica

It is not even sure the real Avicularia metallica exists in the hobby, many holotypes and descriptions where destroyed during ww2 so there is no material left to compare it to.

There are 2 different Avicularia cf. metallica in the hobby.

Avicularia cf. metallica "Cayenne, French Guyana"
This is the most common one in the hobby with reddish hair on the sides of the abdomen and on the front part of the abdomen closest to carapace.

Avicularia cf. metallica "Surinam"
This is from the same locality as the real A. metallica is described from and could possible be the real A. metallica but that we might never know? This one has a completely black abdomen without any red hairs.
Interesting . . . I guess mine is Avicularia cf. metallica "Surinam"
then - - white tips on the end of all it's hairs, but no red hairs at all.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Interesting . . . I guess mine is Avicularia cf. metallica "Surinam"
then - - white tips on the end of all it's hairs, but no red hairs at all.
No, no reddish, white or pink tips. Completely black hairs if it is from Surinam.

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
It almost looks live an A avic and A cf metallica hybrid :?

Edit: this is a response to the original picture not chris's ninja post.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Chris: Avicularia cf. metallica "Cayenne, French Guyana

Zman181

Arachnoknight
Thank you Falk. Now I want to get my hands on a few more Avicularia cf. metallica
Just love the way they look.

Zman181

Arachnoknight
Absolutely gorgeous both of them. I'm looking into keeping them as well. Thanks for recomending them. :)