What sort of insect will fit my needs?

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey guys, normally i'm in to nothing but scorps, but i've decided to branch out a little due to boredom and interest.

Here's what im looking for:

1) A communal insect
2) Must make no noise or any smell
3) I'd like it to be relatively low work to maintain
4) Nothing that require live prey
5) Can be house in a medium sized rubbermade
6) Readily reproduce
7) Able to thrive at room temps (78F)

I already own some B. dubia for feeders. I'd like a "rarer" more colorful type roach, or some type of milipede. These seem to be the only things that come to mind, but any other suggestions are welcome!

Recommend me some really cool look low maintance roaches, beetles, insects, or millis!

thanks - ryan

edit: pics of setups of suggested critters would be an added bonus!

Last edited:

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
liking the looks of those What. I should add i want something that will readily breed in captivity. I just want to maintain a little colony of non deadly friend bugs for a change :)

I was looking at those and Ephibolus pulchripes.

Or mybe jsut a small colony of some colorful roaches. Keep the suggestions coming, they are very helpful!

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, phasmids (stick bugs) fit your criteria perfectly, but you will want to check the legality of keeping them in your area. (I'm not familiar with the laws on "Planet Funk," ;) but phasmids are restricted in many places, as a potential agricultural pest). They reproduce parthenogenetically and for this reason UTMOST CARE must be taken to ensure that there are NEVER any escapes. This would include properly disposing (ie, freezing) of all substrates and removed food items to ensure that any overlooked eggs are neutralized. That's about the biggest pain in the butt with keeping them.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh! Oh! Iknow! Iknow! Pick meeee!

What a FUN endeavor! You may want to look into Eublaberous prosticus (orange headed roaches). They fit your criteria perfectly! No climbing the glass, no noise and though some say they have an odor - I have not experienced one. And I must add that I am a NAZI when it comes to odors in my home...;) They're very colorful, active and super handleable and friendly! They don't run when the light comes on and are always doing something interesting...also SO not picky eaters, as long as their protein levels are kept up. These guys are more fun to watch than a fish aquarium...or maybe I'm just weird? :cool: Good luck!

Last edited:

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think millipedes fit the bill. There are several dealers that can offer a number of good options.

I find the babies endearing ("cute" is not a word I can use since I am male).

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awwwwwww, shucks!

I have to admit to being charmed by the Giant African black millies...they remind me of the caterpillar in Alice in Wonderland. Very cute. (that's right - I said it! lol) They don't move around much and can be rather dull, unless you can find time to handle them and "baby talk" them without other "rightminded" adults to catch you...lmao. :D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
you can also add isopods to a lot of different types of enclosures, or keep them on their own as a pet in their own right

edit:
scorp-corp! that's clever! :)

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And there are some seriously "cute" and colorful pill bugs available..:clap: We keep them in our T. tanks for a captive "cleaning crew". Friendly and interesting...easy to keep!

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
would a milli/isopod combo be possible? if so where would I get the little rollie pollies? This what im leaning towards right now, if possible. Thanks!

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
would a milli/isopod combo be possible? if so where would I get the little rollie pollies? This what im leaning towards right now, if possible. Thanks!
Millis & pillbugs do quite well together, they eat the same stuff and the pills will help keep the enclosure clean. As for where to get them, I just walk down to a creek and flip a piece of rotten wood. Bingo.

I have also heard of people leaving sheets of wet newspaper on the ground in their yards, look underneath the sheets in the middle of the night and there's your pillbugs. :)

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Millis & pillbugs do quite well together, they eat the same stuff and the pills will help keep the enclosure clean. As for where to get them, I just walk down to a creek and flip a piece of rotten wood. Bingo.

I have also heard of people leaving sheets of wet newspaper on the ground in their yards, look underneath the sheets in the middle of the night and there's your pillbugs. :)
Would that only be in a certain area in the US? I mean, if that's the case ima go set that up right now. (Florida)