what size tank can i use for my irmina?

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
im getting mixed messages i have a 3inch irmina she is VERY defensive she will rear up and strike over and over again and stay like that even after i leave her alone and she is in a cricket keeper but i have a small exoterra tank ( 45 x 30 x30 cm) set up made up for a crested gecko but im not getting one now and i wana put the irmina in it... its filled to the rim with coco fiber and has 2 really big plant and 2 pieces on bark for hiding place so there not really ALOT of room instead more decor and hiding places.

just looking for some idea if i should put her in there

also im trying to free up the cricket keeper for a new p.cam :) (redneck is so right about them there so purrrdddy)

thx guys

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
That's WAY too big. I mean it's doable, but keep in mind in a setup like that it'll be harder to find your spider and they'll be a LOT more places for prey items to hide and die before they get eaten (assuming you don't tong feed). I keep a 7" L. violaceopes in one with a lot of bark and fake plants and she STILL has a ton of room.

Just go down to Canadian tire/home outfitters and pick up one of these snapware pasta containers.

they cost about $8. Drill some holes, and you're good until they hit the 4.5" mark. I keep two 4" irminia in these setups and they still have lots of space. I've had no problems so far.

In the meantime, you can use your exoterra for a big pokie or something!

Last edited:

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Just go down to Canadian tire/home outfitters and pick up one of these snapware pasta containers.
they cost about $8. Drill some holes, and you're good until they hit the 4.5" mark.

Nice ones.

OP:

Its not impossible, you just have to know what you are doing and how the spider will behave inside the enclosure. I keep three adult T's in 33 gallon tall exoterra enclosures with no problems at all.

Know how to feed so you don't have rotting feeders around the enclosure, and know the habits of the sp. in question so it isn't stressed in its home, and you can do it.

If you are not too sure what to do, take Hobo's advice.

Last edited:

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have P. cambridgei with 5-6 cm (2-2.3 inches) LS housed in half a litre glass jar where you house pickled stuff. I will leave it there one more molt, so it grows up to 7-8 cm(3-3.5 inches) LS, then I will move it to home made terrarium measuring 30x30x40 cm wich I am soon finishing decorating it with one huge root, bark on the back and I will throw some pothos inside as well. I will post pictures of making it soon.

You don't need to sell it though, if you know how to decorate it. Take it as an aprotunity of your imagination. ;)

Last edited:

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep my female 4.5" P. cambridgei in a foot cube exo terra.
It was free anyways, and this girl is always out, plus I tong feed.