what should my next pet be?

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok I want something easy to care for. that is somewhat different. and is good for display. I was thinking about dart frogs but they are pretty expensive. oh yeah I also need it to fit in a ten gallon tank

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Why not try mantellas. They are just as colorful and beautiful. A few species are small enough to permenantly house in a ten gallon. Although a 20 or 30 gallon long can be set up more beautifully with live plants and such. They are also cheaper than Dendrobates.
Mike

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lasiodora
Why not try mantellas. They are just as colorful and beautiful. A few species are small enough to permenantly house in a ten gallon. Although a 20 or 30 gallon long can be set up more beautifully with live plants and such. They are also cheaper than Dendrobates.
Mike
mantellas mostly are WC, they need cooler temps and it can be hard to find food small enough at times, although some of the mantellas are stunningly colorful! white's tree frogs, waxy monkey tree frogs and red eyed tree frogs are somewhat easy to care for although a ten gallon is not really the best size terrarium for them as they prefer more height.
Ed

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
a whites tree frog, isnt that what your avatar is? and maybe I will stay with inverts. not sure if im ready for a vertabrate.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
a whites tree frog, isnt that what your avatar is? and maybe I will stay with inverts. not sure if im ready for a vertabrate
i thought you already had snakes?

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
a whites tree frog, isnt that what your avatar is? and maybe I will stay with inverts. not sure if im ready for a vertabrate.
yes, my avatar is a "blue" phase white's tree frog. out of all my reptiles, frogs, and inverts the inverts are the easiest to care for, particularly the "dry" species (brachypelmas, aphonopelmas, grammostolas, etc.).
Ed

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I thought johnny had snakes too. Anyways, atavuss' avatar is a White's tree frog, and a 10 gal. would be too small for one. If you like tree frogs, perhaps you could look into green tree frogs. I've never worked with dart frogs and mantellas, but I've always thought they weren't easy to care for. A single leopard gecko would do well in a 10 gal. tank, and they're quite easy to care for. Although they're not exactly unique pets. Adult rosy boas and Kenyan sand boas would do well, and are quite simple to care for.

Bry

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by atavuss
mantellas mostly are WC, they need cooler temps and it can be hard to find food small enough at times, although some of the mantellas are stunningly colorful! white's tree frogs, waxy monkey tree frogs and red eyed tree frogs are somewhat easy to care for although a ten gallon is not really the best size terrarium for them as they prefer more height.
Ed
Yes, they are wild caught and some need cool temps. This does not mean they are not hardy and easy to keep. As for food items, a fruit fly culture can be easily started and small sized crickets can be ordered. Captive bred animals can be established only if wild caught animals are worked with to begin with. If you do the research and set up the right environment and temps then they are as easy to keep as Dendrobates. I even know someone who breeds Mantella laevigata. I tend not to shy away from animals that sound difficult to keep, but that's just me. I like the challenge.
Mike

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah i did have snakes but i sold it. i figure i could use the space for something cooler. B. smithi to be exact. anyways thanks for the info. BTW did you guys know you can get galopagose tortoises. that just blew me away when I seen them on a price list. and tiger cubs are only 500 bucks jesus that would be cool. but they're not for me. ill stick with my bugs