What scares/kills centipedes?

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm going to try pandanus, glue traps, and ivermectine to see which works best. Just earlier today a small centipede (2" long) made its' way up my leg and bit me in my thigh while I was BBQing burgers.

I caught it and took a pic - is this a juvenile scolopendra subspinipes?

http://twitpic.com/2t311
Don't forget to write a bite report!!!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow, that is a cool pede but i don't think I'd want them running free in my house either. I think you're on the right track with glue traps, etc. Maybe regular mousetraps would even work. Bait them with raw meat...

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
That is not a morph that is currently available in the hobby, I would try collecting them and Im sure youll have more buyers than pedes.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
One thing nobody else has suggested yet...if you get rid of what they eat, they will stop coming around. If you use traps with bait, I think that would only attract more. Get rid of the prey, and you'll get rid of the predators too.

--Joe

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Find yourself a fiance/wife/girlfriend. Tell her she looks fat. Every living creature (including centipedes) will run like a bat out of hell, as should you.

Cheers,
Nate

Last edited:

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
Get a pet chicken. They will eat them, and any other crawlies they can find. You get free eggs too!

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
A bite from an adult Scolopendra subspinipes may very well kill a chicken.
Well It'd have to bite it somewhere other than its beak, and most animals that eat things they wouldn't want to bite them are equipped to take it out quickly and safely. I. E. birds of prey that have been known to eat rattlesnakes. Chickens seem to peck apart larger insects rather than try to choke it down whole like a fish eating bird would from what I've seen.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well It'd have to bite it somewhere other than its beak, and most animals that eat things they wouldn't want to bite them are equipped to take it out quickly and safely. I. E. birds of prey that have been known to eat rattlesnakes. Chickens seem to peck apart larger insects rather than try to choke it down whole like a fish eating bird would from what I've seen.
Have you kept a large Scolopendra centipede before? The species we're talking about here is Scolopendra subspinipes dehaani, which can reach 10" in length. Unless you're talking about a new, undiscovered species of giant chicken, I highly doubt a normal chicken would try and eat a 10" centipede (or anything bigger than 7", for that matter), and even if it did try, it would most certainly be bitten. Furthermore, the venom of this species is widely accepted to be the most potent among the genus.

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
Have you kept a large Scolopendra centipede before? The species we're talking about here is Scolopendra subspinipes dehaani, which can reach 10" in length. Unless you're talking about a new, undiscovered species of giant chicken, I highly doubt a normal chicken would try and eat a 10" centipede (or anything bigger than 7", for that matter), and even if it did try, it would most certainly be bitten. Furthermore, the venom of this species is widely accepted to be the most potent among the genus.
Actually I have. I don't currently, but I have had VERY large ones. They did scare me a little sometimes. If one that big wanders into your house, it is a HUGE target and you could easily smash it with something......

If the chicken/chickens eat all of the ones in the area when they are smaller, there shouldn't be that many really huge ones out and about. Not to mention along the lines of removing the food the centipedes are after, chickens love to eat roaches/crickets/earwigs/whatever. It might not be a total solution, but I don't think it is as bad of an idea as you are making it out to be.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Actually I have. I don't currently, but I have had VERY large ones. They did scare me a little sometimes. If one that big wanders into your house, it is a HUGE target and you could easily smash it with something......

If the chicken/chickens eat all of the ones in the area when they are smaller, there shouldn't be that many really huge ones out and about. Not to mention along the lines of removing the food the centipedes are after, chickens love to eat roaches/crickets/earwigs/whatever. It might not be a total solution, but I don't think it is as bad of an idea as you are making it out to be.
There are videos on Youtube demonstrating how even centipedes with their entire rear half squashed under a person's foot can still bite, so...

As for what you said about reducing prey populations, I admit I was a little too shortsighted to think of that. Definitely I agree. I think he would be better off with a group of them than just one though.

jettubes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There are videos on Youtube demonstrating how even centipedes with their entire rear half squashed under a person's foot can still bite, so...

As for what you said about reducing prey populations, I admit I was a little too shortsighted to think of that. Definitely I agree. I think he would be better off with a group of them than just one though.
i have chickens, iv seen a chick grab a six inch centipede and eat it, they just put there foot on it and peck its head off, i have no doubt a chicken would think twice about eating a big juicy centipede. my uncle lives in QLD seen his chickens scratching around and grabing huge E.rubripes. So chickens will no doubt eat a 10 inch subspinipes no matter how dangerous. Or big.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i have chickens, iv seen a chick grab a six inch centipede and eat it, they just put there foot on it and peck its head off, i have no doubt a chicken would think twice about eating a big juicy centipede. my uncle lives in QLD seen his chickens scratching around and grabing huge E.rubripes. So chickens will no doubt eat a 10 inch subspinipes no matter how dangerous. Or big.
Wow, cool. A couple of pics would be nice. Better yet, a video! I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious as to how a chicken takes down a big centipede. :)

And btw...

iv seen a chick grab a six inch centipede and eat it.
LOL {D

jettubes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow, cool. A couple of pics would be nice. Better yet, a video! I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious as to how a chicken takes down a big centipede. :)

And btw...

LOL {D
:embarrassed: HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH LMAO !!!! :clap: well pretty much just pecks it to pieces, if you through a pede in with a chicken they go crazy, also seen them take down wandering male crassipes (Tarantula) which was at least 6-7inch they eat anything lol

edit: chick meaning baby chicken well picked up ROFL

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:embarrassed: HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH LMAO !!!! :clap: well pretty much just pecks it to pieces, if you through a pede in with a chicken they go crazy, also seen them take down wandering male crassipes (Tarantula) which was at least 6-7inch they eat anything lol

edit: chick meaning baby chicken well picked up ROFL
Lmao I was just messing around. I know what you meant to say lol. {D

Ihaggerty1313

Arachnopeon
Man... I'm not a fan of Centipedes by any means. I don't wish them any harm since they have a crucial role in the eco systems they are a part of. Plus, you can't really talk trash about something that has survived millions of years and not changed one bit!

However I think I'd rather jump into shark infested seas than have something like that roaming freely around my house. JESUS CHRIST! Am I glad I don't live in Thailand. And to think.... I was going to build a summer house there!

Here's my question. Does that thing like just walk through the living room into the kitchen, go into the fridge, grab a budweiser, chuck up the dude sign and leave? Even if you tried to step on it, it'd probably chuck you the bird from under your shoe and your foot would start walking away from you!

When I say JESUS CHRIST people I mean JESUS CHRIST!

-Ian

Memento

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Kind of a late reply, but if the other suggested methods don't work, try getting some pure peppermint oil (the real stuff, not synthetic - Mentha x piperita), putting a few drops on some cotton balls, and hiding these around the house.

We've used this method in the past to drive out many types of pests, including smaller species of centipedes (not pests per se, but our house was overrun with them when we moved in), ants, silverfish, etc. It works to deter smaller rodents as well. Even if it doesn't work on the larger centipedes directly, it should at least drive off some of their food sources. Just be sure to replace the cotton balls once in a while.

Last edited:

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Chicken or Guinea birds are good ideas, but arent they messy and noisy as hell? I once caught 6 chicks and let me quote this " PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP" all night long. Only time they shut up was when I fed them then I had a slight break. Good thing I had a nice size savannah monitor at the time lol, those chicks lasted about a week haha.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One thing nobody else has suggested yet...if you get rid of what they eat, they will stop coming around. If you use traps with bait, I think that would only attract more. Get rid of the prey, and you'll get rid of the predators too.

--Joe
In my opinion, this is right on the money. Eliminating the food source could be difficult, but no prey, no pedes.

Late

Arachnopeon
Very late reply but why would you want to maim the pedes in any way tbh?