What Roach Species Do You Keep?

Stickytoe

Arachnopeon
I'm still establishing the Deropeltis. I received some large nymphs not too long ago and nearly all are adults now. The adult females resemble the nymphs in appearance and the males molt out with full wings.

I'm keeping them on damp coco-fiber & peat mix. Feeding Rhacodactylus gecko diet, dog food, fruits & veggies.

kaddys

Arachnopeon
VERY nice list Nicole.... I'm trying to establish my Deropeltis paulinoi colony...maybe 30 individuals I've purchased from a few places... any tips on establishing them... are you keeping them moist or dry? What substrate? Thanks in advance...
HI FROM A NOVICE TO AN EXPERT CAN YOU GIVE ME ANY HELP I HAVE STARTED KEPPING B. DUBIA FOR FEEDERS FOR JUVENILLE BEARDED DRAGONS THAT I HAVE BUT THE ADULTS ARE A BIT BIG SO I NEED THE MEDIUM SIZE SO THE QUESTION IS CAN ANYONE HELP ME IN TELLING ME HOW TO SEX THESE BUGS BEFORE THEY BECOME FULLY GROWN. I KNOW WHEN THEY ARE ADULTS YOU CAN TELL BY THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WINGS AND I HAVE A FEW ADULTS BUT WANT MORE FEMALES SO IS THERE ANY WAY YOU KNOW WHAT SEX THEY ARE BEFORE THEY ARE FULL GROWN SO I DONT HAVE TO KEEP THEM ALL AND NOT FEED TO DRAGONS AND HAVE SURPLUS MALES PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME I BET YOU ALL THINK I AM MAD DONT YOU BUT AS YOU CAN SEE I DONT KNOW WHAT I AM DOING SO WOULD RATHER ASK.

sidguppy

Arachnopeon
ARGH!:eek:

two things:
#1: proper punctiation
#2: get yourself a lighter and melt the capslock key please
:rolleyes: ;)

spyderguy1983

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have B Dubia. I started a colony to be strictly feeders. After keeping them for a while they really make you want to start keeping roaches as pets.

kaddys

Arachnopeon
ARGH!:eek:

two things:
#1: proper punctiation
#2: get yourself a lighter and melt the capslock key please
:rolleyes: ;)
sorry if you was referring to me , i told you i was new at this and did't know not to use CAPS. won't make the same mistake again.

sidguppy

Arachnopeon
yesterday added 2 species and a load of tesselata's to broaden the genepool

so now I have
Achrimandrita tesselata (a lot)
Blaptica dubia (ditto)
Ellipthorhina chopardi (small group)
Periplaneta australicae (small group including some tiny nymphs)

believe me I'll keep the lid of the last species very closed and there's only the tiniest holes in there for air. ;P genuine plague material {D

Aquanut

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
HI FROM A NOVICE TO AN EXPERT CAN YOU GIVE ME ANY HELP I HAVE STARTED KEPPING B. DUBIA FOR FEEDERS FOR JUVENILLE BEARDED DRAGONS THAT I HAVE BUT THE ADULTS ARE A BIT BIG SO I NEED THE MEDIUM SIZE SO THE QUESTION IS CAN ANYONE HELP ME IN TELLING ME HOW TO SEX THESE BUGS BEFORE THEY BECOME FULLY GROWN. I KNOW WHEN THEY ARE ADULTS YOU CAN TELL BY THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WINGS AND I HAVE A FEW ADULTS BUT WANT MORE FEMALES SO IS THERE ANY WAY YOU KNOW WHAT SEX THEY ARE BEFORE THEY ARE FULL GROWN SO I DONT HAVE TO KEEP THEM ALL AND NOT FEED TO DRAGONS AND HAVE SURPLUS MALES PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME I BET YOU ALL THINK I AM MAD DONT YOU BUT AS YOU CAN SEE I DONT KNOW WHAT I AM DOING SO WOULD RATHER ASK.
I had these for a while, but had so many i didnt care. Sorry no one had a useful answer to your question. Dubia is very common in the hobby, hopefully someone will get you the answer. If not try starting a new thread titled "sexing dubia nymphs" Good luck!

PeriplanetaAmer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have new roaches:

Shellfordela tartara (in USA, Blatta lateralis)
Eurycotis opaca
Gromphadorhyna portentosa
Elliptorhina chopardi
Phoetallia palida
Rhyparobia maderae "gold"
Lucihormetica subcinta
Byrsotria rothi
Panchlora nivea
Archimandrita tesselata
Blaptica dubia
Blaberus giganteus
Loboptera decipiens

And the new ones:

Blattidae sp. "Sry Lanka"
Schultesia lampridyformis
Blaberus craniifer "Black wings"
Ergaula capucina

I lost my P. nivea "Big" becouse the electric system of my house failed and they died.

Cheers!:)

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally Posted by kaddys View Post

Whew! That was a mouthful! {D
First: Welcome to the AB board!;)
Second: you can tell the difference in sexes by turning them upsidedown and observing the last segment in their abdomen. I am NOT a scientist and do not speak in scientific terms...therefore you will have to figure out what I mean by trial and error..lolol
The last segment in a female is broader and wider...the males are thinner and skinnier...
hahahaha good luck with this!
I think someone (oldhag?) put an sex-me I.D. guide for these on the board not too long ago. Use the search function....
We use dubia's to feed our dragon, also and believe me; they can eat them like potatoe chips! :eek:
Don't worry too much about the male/female ratio with these roaches, hon. If you have even a few males - your colony will be just fine! Keep them very warm and fed clean food/water. You'll have a plague on your hands soon....
Good luck!

We keep:
G.portentosa
B.dubia
E.posticus

Last edited:

ShawnH

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Colonies of:

G. portentosa

G. grandidieri

B. parabolicus

B. craniifer (Black wing)

nichts

Arachnopeon
Blaberus craniifer
Blaptica dubia
Ergaula capucina
Princisia vanraewebeki Black & White

i will get next month

Aeluropoda insignis
Archimandrita tesselata

REAL

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I only got discoidis and dubias.

I hate you guys, make me look bad.

Well I'm getting them, they're getting shipped out this Monday.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My updated list of roach kids...lol

G. portentosa (thousands of them)
B. dubia
B. giganteous (so COOL!)
B. fumigata
E. prosticus
T. petevariana (so CUTE!)
fuscus/cranifer hybrids

{D ;P ;P {D