What plant is this, RobC uses it.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Cool. I picked up a couple dracaenas and a bromeliad for my monitor enclosure over the weekend. They definitely enjoyed the leafy coverage.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've read a lot of conflicting info about the size of this plant; 6 to 12 inches, but then ...up to 10 feet. Could be many diff varieties, an official taxonomy problem or simply hobbyist ID prob. I bet you did an image search, a lot of shapes and sizes, does make a person wonder.

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If they aren't getting much sunlight they are going to grow slow, if they are getting lots it's going to grow fast. But for a dollar who cares. Just rip them out plant them a new and you could even put the ones you ripped out in your living room! No plants were harmed in the making of this hobby!

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, you can. I'll take a picture of my palm hybrids in my T enclosure and post em. And show you how it came. well... after I washed them all and whatnot.

---------- Post added 05-14-2013 at 02:04 PM ----------

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The one in the back is a Dieffenbachia.

I wonder why he's using them as they're toxic as hell and can't stand low right, but it's definitely a Dieffenbachia.
Finally someone got the ID of the plant in the background right!

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I went and got a few at HomeDepot today, it is Chamaedorea elegans imo, aka Parlor Palm.
If you bought them from home depot, I'd be a little cautious since they use pesticides. You might be better off returning them and purchasing some online that sells them without pesticides. OR. Plant some in a small container, put in a spider from outside, and see how it fairs. If it dies or starts to seem ill, then you know the pesticides are still active.

I lost a Gorgyrella sp. "red trapdoor" to home depot plants so I'm speaking out of experience.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Good point to mention, I considered that. When I got home, I dropped them in a 200 gal tank outside that captures rainwater, left them their for 24 hours, sunk to the bottom. Water, sun, ...breaks that stuff down over time kept them outside for several days. They are doing great in a terr I have now, no signs of ill health. Imo, so far, great terr plants.

tODDski

Arachnopeon
You should immediately wash the plant and use organic media afterwards. If there's pesticides, they will not be in the plant, but on it instead. As mentioned, time will break down the pesticides; however, so will a warm bath, new media and paper towel drying.

I mainly keep amphibians, and this process has never let me down. That's in at least 20 years of husbandry to my creatures.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Good point to mention, I considered that. When I got home, I dropped them in a 200 gal tank outside that captures rainwater, left them their for 24 hours, sunk to the bottom. Water, sun, ...breaks that stuff down over time kept them outside for several days. They are doing great in a terr I have now, no signs of ill health. Imo, so far, great terr plants.
Hey, Galapheros...just wondering if the palms are still doing good. If you don't mind me asking; what kind of substrate do you have in your terrarium, and what kind of lighting set-up are you using? I'm considering using some of these myself.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just went to this thread by chance, would've missed you asking otherwise. About 3 weeks ago I broke that terr down, I had a bad mite problem in there. I was using it as kind of a graveyard for things not eaten and thought the isopods would keep up but they didn't. The two palms are still alive, I put them in pots and putting them outside for a while. One looks fine and has new growth but the other was not looking good, I think it's still alive though. In that terr I was using a mix of sand and coco fiber and keeping it moist, something around 2 parts course sand and 1 part fiber. If a person is really into it, I thought it might be a good idea to pot them in good potting soil mix and bury the pot flush with the surface, something like that.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks for the info Galapheros, much appreciated. I've read that those palms are fairly hardy plants, and that they can handle indoor lighting conditions.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah they never seemed to need more light, as far as that goes. But I feel the soil they were in was not enough for them, maybe they simply could have used some natural fertilizer/compost around the roots.

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the info Galapheros, much appreciated. I've read that those palms are fairly hardy plants, and that they can handle indoor lighting conditions.
Yeah they are tanks. I've sold the avic I put in there a while ago, tank is empty of spiders and have quit watering them for two or three months. Still alive and kicking.

And yes, my T room gets sun like once in a blue moon, and the light is only on for max 4 hours. They don't really need much of any light at all.