What might be causing this ant to behave this way? Warning: May be disturbing

winnie

Arachnopeon
My immediate thought is some sort of parasitic fungus...

Some sort of ophiocordyceps so for sure
My first thought was less specific. Just some kind of disease or parasite. Eventually, though, I thought of Ophiocordyceps as well.

winnie

Arachnopeon
Venom. I feel so stupid that it took this long for it to occur to me. Our home is a bug-lover's paradise. We have a huge variety of arthropods, including spiders, wasps, centipedes, and so on. I still can't say this with 100% certainty, but I think the most likely culprit is venom.

Heck, we have poisonous ones, too. So many things could cause this.

Last edited:

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
Venom. I feel so stupid that it took this long for it to occur to me. Our home is a bug-lover's paradise. We have a huge variety of arthropods, including spiders, wasps, centipedes, and so on. I still can't say this with 100% certainty, but I think the most likely culprit is venom.

Heck, we have poisonous ones, too. So many things could cause this.
Very true! There are a lot of possibilities in this instance. Although, the main reason I lean towards it being a fungus is that...

A) if it were pesticides you would likely see a group of ants dying in a similar way.

B) if it were venom, the ant would likely be more injured or would be in the mouth of a predator.

C) that looks like the pose fungus afflicted ants assume before a fruiting body bursts forth to spread spores. Typically this is from a high point not the floor though.

I could absolutely be wrong, this is just what I feel explains the situation best with the information available. I may be overlooking something, either way interesting find. Thanks for sharing.