what merits a tank cleaning ?

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Outside of mites, and molds, if I have a T that eats everything of its prey. When should I schedual regular tank cleaning ?

How often would you clean a very dry GBB tank ?

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Outside of mites, and molds, if I have a T that eats everything of its prey. When should I schedual regular tank cleaning ?

How often would you clean a very dry GBB tank ?
Depends, I daily maintain water, food remains removal, wipe the defecation off the glass of my terrarium, defecation removal from substrate, wash out clean and refill waterdishes. Depends on the state of your tank really.

Usually during the day when the Ts are usually retired and least active.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have some tanks that have not had a substrate change in two or more years....

Regards, Mike

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've had my GBB for 5 days... It hasn't pooped yet. The feeding schedual I've devised is one cricket every other day ( ie 3 one week, 4 the next ) How often should I see him poop ?

I'd assume I could use one of those sponges on a stick I see for aquarium glass to clean it off. If it'll take off algea, it should take off poop !

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd assume I could use one of those sponges on a stick I see for aquarium glass to clean it off. If it'll take off algea, it should take off poop !
I just use a pair of tweezers and a peice of rolled up wet paper towel...

Regards, Mike

seanrc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Speacialy if the T doesnt need the Tank to be humid .. somtimes people go bonkers with how much water they spray or pour onto substrate . which most of the time will lead to mold .. you dont want that of course... what kinda T is it by the way?

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
uh, it is impossible that your t eats without leaving remains of its prey in the tank. this will be a) small chitin pills and b) poo;P.

sometimes a t will hide the chitin pills away - i have some that will drop them cleanly in the water dish and others that will bury them. so even for dry cages, i change out the substrate about once a year (give or take), if i cannot find most of the prey leftovers.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've had my GBB for 5 days... It hasn't pooped yet. The feeding schedual I've devised is one cricket every other day ( ie 3 one week, 4 the next ) How often should I see him poop ?
2-3 crickets a week is a healthier, leaner diet. You can just drop them all in at once, unless you have a particular reason for feeding one cricket at a time. :) As for when it will poop? Who knows? Tarantula metabolisms are weird, I suggest you not hold your breath. ;)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
>Outside of mites, and molds, if I have a T that eats everything of its prey.
>When should I schedual regular tank cleaning ?
i don't have regular tank cleaning. i do a tank cleaning (by that i mean something that involves removing the occupant and cleaning and/or replacing everything in there) when the substrate is irreparably corrupted or for burrowers when the sub won't carry a burrow anymore. other than that, which is on the order of once every year or two, spot cleaning is all i do.

>How often would you clean a very dry GBB tank ?
i've had two (males, *sigh*) GBB go from slings to mature with out ever having a tank cleaning. since these guys thrive so dry there really is no reason to clean their cages. they both went from a vial to a medium-small critter keeper that they matured in without a single tank cleaning.

edit:
also, talking about a number of crickets a week is essentially useless you also say how big they are. even then the size of the spider and conditions it is kept in would be needed to know if that is going to be too little, in the generally accepted range, power feeding, or straight out too much.

guitarlust

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
clean

what happens if the poop is dried tothe walls??:8o

if its dried to the walls use a wet paper towel to wipe it off. it doesnt take much to clean dried poop from walls. i wet a paper towel and wrap it around a chopstick and scrub till the poop is gone.

as to the thread question of when to clean an enclosure, i just spot clean when i see remains or poop. like others before me i maintain water on a somewhat daily basis (i'm forgetful at times, but not long enough to where the Ts get dehydrated, no way). i change the substrate out once a year, give or take, depending on the state of the substrate.

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what exactly does tarantula poop look like? I've only been an owner for 6 weeks now, so i guess i havn't been fortunate enough to notice...

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
is it me or is there a obsession with tarantula poo :8o going on here :rolleyes: lol:D

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Unless there is mold, mite explosion, or smell, I spot clean only.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
what exactly does tarantula poop look like? I've only been an owner for 6 weeks now, so i guess i havn't been fortunate enough to notice...
Little white specks, like tiny bird poop. All four of my Ts tend to bury theirs, or poop at the edge of the tank so that it falls down into the tiny space between the dried peat moss and the side of the enclosure.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Water dish removal

How do you guys remove your water dish for cleaning. Since I have been bit in the past by a T I'm a little freaked out about putting my hands in the tank.

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How do you guys remove your water dish for cleaning. Since I have been bit in the past by a T I'm a little freaked out about putting my hands in the tank.
I use a pair of metal tweezers that are about 10" long.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my cyrio is the only real dirty one. with her, i have to wipe sh*t off the sides at least once a week. and she's still in her terrestrial stage, so i don't understand why she goes on the walls.