What kind of Scorpion is this?

Chris Behof

Arachnopeon
I live in Phoenix, AZ and just found this small scorpion in my house today. I am a huge snake/reptile guy but don't know squat about scorpions since we just moved out here.

I believe there are at least 30 different types of scorpions in AZ so I need help narrowing it down to see if it is a possible threat to my family/dogs.

I found it on the ceiling in my kitchen and it very small, maybe the width of a dime or so.

Thanks a bunch for the help!

Chris Behof
CB Reptiles
www.cbreptiles.com

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My guess, an immature Centruroides sculpturatus - Arizona bark scorpion. Not threatening to a healthy adult unless allergic but it can be medically significant, I'm not sure how a dog would take to a sting from these but these are among the more venomous of the species in the US.

Sting Reports on this forum
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=125724

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
It guess it could be a immature Centruroides sculpturatus. It is not very dangerous to a healthy adult but could be medically significant to a child or, in your case, a dog. But don't take this as a bad thing. Scorpions are incredible animals. Do you plan on keeping this one?

Chris Behof

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the help guys!

I'll assume its a bark and take appropriate precautions. And yes, I will try to raise it up for a while!

Crickets are fine for food I'm guessing?

Chris

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
100% positive C.sculpturatus, an instar 4 judging by the size...probably molted a few weeks ago, judging by the striking coloration.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
lifestages in scorpions are called instars, at birth they are instar 1, when they molt, instar 2, then they molt to instar 3 etc etc

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Thanks for the help guys!

I'll assume its a bark and take appropriate precautions. And yes, I will try to raise it up for a while!

Crickets are fine for food I'm guessing?

Chris
Yes, crickets will be fine. Try to replicate the habitat you found it in. Good luck!:)

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Hahahaha.......I found it in my kitchen, should I put a plate and a spoon in the cage? ; )
That is funny.:) No, sand. Try to find some away from roads or places that it could have been sprayed with chemicals. Also, bark is a must, especially vertically. Research more about it if you are seriously planning to keep it.;)

Kaos

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hahahaha.......I found it in my kitchen, should I put a plate and a spoon in the cage? ; )
Yep, and use pasta as substrate :p

Nah, copy the outside environment near your house and it should be fine.