what kind of roach?

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most likely Blaberus discoidalis. Male too, from your comparative size description.

bakaichi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow Cryasta~~ those are cool

I recall we had some up at SFU before, but only had it for one semester.

i was lucky enough to do some testing on it :p

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Whoa they're still there?! They keep Isopods in the same aquarium, right?

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah they do, must be some old colony for you to remember lol!

MCO Reptiles

Arachnopeon
I too have an unidentified roach....
Today I was mailing an order of Gromphadorhina portentosa and I found a roach with wings in the tank! I only keep hissers and I have never had any other species. The only arthropods I've received recently were two tarantulas and a scorpion. But they were individually packed and were never in contact with the roaches. I started off with 5 hissers a few years ago and got a shipment of 231 when my numbers went down, as I sell them on ebay. But when the box came in, I counted every one individually and put them in my breeding tank. There were a few "nymphs" that I saw but I don't remember seeing any odd looking ones. Keep in mind that I got that shipment in late august. So what type of roach can grow from not noticeably different from a G. portentosa to this in that amount of time. Thank you, I hope the image link works.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58477308@N02/5368047975/

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I too have an unidentified roach....
Today I was mailing an order of Gromphadorhina portentosa and I found a roach with wings in the tank! I only keep hissers and I have never had any other species. The only arthropods I've received recently were two tarantulas and a scorpion. But they were individually packed and were never in contact with the roaches. I started off with 5 hissers a few years ago and got a shipment of 231 when my numbers went down, as I sell them on ebay. But when the box came in, I counted every one individually and put them in my breeding tank. There were a few "nymphs" that I saw but I don't remember seeing any odd looking ones. Keep in mind that I got that shipment in late august. So what type of roach can grow from not noticeably different from a G. portentosa to this in that amount of time. Thank you, I hope the image link works.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58477308@N02/5368047975/
Nauphoeta cinerea, lobster roach.

MCO Reptiles

Arachnopeon
It looks like one but it can fly...also it's wings are protruding....like it has extra wings or something...I've been observing it for about 7 or 8 hours and they have no retracted fully. I read that lobster roaches are not able to fly.

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

Ok it doesn't really "fly"....but it does look strange with it's wings hanging out. Is it possible that it could have mated with any of my G. portentosa?

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It looks like one but it can fly...also it's wings are protruding....like it has extra wings or something...I've been observing it for about 7 or 8 hours and they have no retracted fully. I read that lobster roaches are not able to fly.

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

Ok it doesn't really "fly"....but it does look strange with it's wings hanging out. Is it possible that it could have mated with any of my G. portentosa?
It is impossible for the two to even mate, let alone produce offspring. The wings hanging out is just a physical defect due to a bad molt.

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep, good ol' lobster roach. Although I like my Hissers I think I like my lobsters more. :p