What kind fo Spider is this?

DaHammer

Arachnopeon
wow. Thanks! I think you totally nailed it. That's amazing. Do you know if this is a dangerous spider? I have kids runnings around and its parked itself right under our patio covering where the kids play. Is it harmless or do I need to remove it? Thanks for your speedy reply! You're awesome.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
No problem, at all. This spider is most def. harmless, no worries! :D

Quoted from BugGuide.net;

Behavior:

"Orb weavers are very docile, non-aggressive spiders that will flee at the first sign of a threat (typically they will run or drop off the web). They are not dangerous to people & pets, and are actually quite beneficial because they will catch and eat a lot of pest-type insects."

Being Bitten:

"Being bitten by an orb weaver is very uncommon, and typically the individual was "asking" to be bitten. Orb weavers will only bite if they feel threatened and trapped without a chance for escape (e.g. - like trying to pick them up). A bite is often compared to a bee sting, and for most people, is nothing serious. However, it is recommended to observe them in their environments (e.g. - on their web) and not to pick them up."

More Info; http://bugguide.net/node/view/1972