What kind a spider is this??

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A geographic location would be helpful, but while that is a Mygalomorph, it is not a tarantula. It appears to be one of the trapdoor/folding door spiders - possibly one of the Euctenizidae - and almost certainly a mature male. (I can't get a good look at the pedipalps in your pictures to confirm, but the general legginess, small abdomen - and the fact that he was running around out in the open - all point that direction.)

Last edited:

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Not a tarantula, but a mature male trapdoor. Still a pretty lucky find, I'm sure there's many people that are probably looking for males to establish captive breeding colonies

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
A geographic location would be helpful, but while that is a Mygalomorph, it is not a tarantula. It appears to be one of the trapdoor/folding door spiders - possibly one of the Euctenizidae - and almost certainly a mature male. (I can't get a good look at the pedipalps in your pictures to confirm, but the general legginess, small abdomen - and the fact that he was running around out in the open - all point that direction.)
I am totally impressed...very cool.

Popmel

Arachnopeon
I live in Georgia so its most likely a Mygalomorph from what I looked up. I still cant believe that hes a trapdoor spider though! That's so cool and I think I might keep him if I am able to establish a proper enclosure for him haha. Thank you guys so much for your help!

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I live in Georgia so its most likely a Mygalomorph from what I looked up. I still cant believe that hes a trapdoor spider though! That's so cool and I think I might keep him if I am able to establish a proper enclosure for him haha. Thank you guys so much for your help!
Just be aware that mature males will not live long. What I think is an interesting prospect is that, if he was located in your house, you may have trapdoors very close by... Maybe even in your yard!

From what I can tell, it doesn't look like it molted a long time ago so I can't imagine he's come a far distance or anything. It might be worth looking around various areas of the neighbourhood and seeing if you can find a wild colony. Then you may be able to release him and watch him pair with a female, which (while is probably quite off-putting to most) is something many of us on here would only ever dream of witnessing

Liquifin

Arachnoking
A mature male trap door spider will not settle down, so keeping him is basically preventing him from doing his job before he dies. Mature male trapdoor spiders are the same as mature male tarantulas when they mature. They will barely eat, sleep, or rest, as their last few months of living are focusing on breeding and leaving a legacy before they die. Even if you did keep him, he wouldn't build a trapdoor because he knows his time is running out and he needs to find a female to continue his legacy before he dies. So better to just release him than to keep him since he doesn't have much time left. I'll be disappointed if I was a mature male spider with little time left and just got caught and prevented from looking for a female.

(I can't get a good look at the pedipalps in your pictures to confirm, but the general legginess, small abdomen - and the fact that he was running around out in the open - all point that direction.)
Yes, this is a mature male, if you look at the last picture and see how his front legs have a cave-in is an indication of a mature male. It's hard to notice, but if you look at the shadow of the first pair of his legs in that last photo you can see it's caved-in which is to serve the same purpose as tibial hooks for tarantulas.

Popmel

Arachnopeon
Just be aware that mature males will not live long. What I think is an interesting prospect is that, if he was located in your house, you may have trapdoors very close by... Maybe even in your yard!

From what I can tell, it doesn't look like it molted a long time ago so I can't imagine he's come a far distance or anything. It might be worth looking around various areas of the neighbourhood and seeing if you can find a wild colony. Then you may be able to release him and watch him pair with a female, which (while is probably quite off-putting to most) is something many of us on here would only ever dream of witnessing
I was honestly thinking about letting him go because I have no knowledge of trapdoors whatsoever. If I'm actually able to find a female trapdoor close by to home then that would be a treat! And if they do ever pair while I'm there ((which I doubt)) I'll be sure to record it and post it haha. It was so exciting that he wandered in though! I really hope I get to find more trapdoors close by

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
It looks like it belongs to the family Euctenizidae, but that is a wild guess. Unfortunately for us, non-tarantula mygalomorphs need to be examined in person with a microscope to identify them properly. They all pretty much look the same superficially.