What Isopods dont breed in captivity?

isopodluvr

Arachnosquire
Question for all my isopod keepers :)! I have an interest in keeping isopods but i dont have any way to sell/rehome "extra" isopods if my colony becomes too big too fast. It seems many isopods breed much faster than they die, so i was wondering if there are any good, (and it helps if theyre pretty :]) breeds of isopods that are difficult to/do not breed in captivity. A breed that breeds very little would also be alright.

Cas S

Arachnoknight
I dont think you can keep them from breeding unless you only keep one, but I've heard Armadillium spp tend to reproduce slower

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
Most Cubaris sp. don't reproduce as fast as other species. Stay away from any genera that start with letter p.

Reezelbeezelbug

Arachnosquire
From what I understand (and I could be wrong) they'll increase in population until they reach the limit of available resources. So they'll only increase in population to match the food available to them and will eventually stabilize their numbers.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I dont think you can keep them from breeding unless you only keep one, but I've heard Armadillium spp tend to reproduce slower
Armadillidium can reproduce as fast as most any other species, in the right environment (I have thousands of Armadillidium maculatum after a year and several hundred each of Armadillidium klugii and Armadillidium frontirostre after 6 months)

There are some species that breed less frequently and won't grow a colony as fast, but they also tend to be expensive since they breed less easily.

For the OP: why can't you sell/give away any offspring that are produced?

paumotu

Arachnobaron
Hemilepistus sp isopods are found in old-world deserts and live in monogamous pairs in the wild. As far as I know, nobody has managed to successfully breed them in captivity, but I also don't know anyone in the US who has them, and definitely nobody selling them for that matter.