What is your reaction when a family member or friend steps on a spider?

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
They get a firm tsk tsk from me. It is slightly upsetting, but people have been stepping on bugs for ages... hasn't really slowed them down much. I'm less worried about stomp-happy arachnophobes than I am about the wicked monsters who intrude on and demolish these beautiful animals' natural habitats.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It's my choice to catch and release. If it's not theirs, then it's not my job to tell them that it's important. Let's get real here, people. They're bugs. For every spider that was found and killed, there are five more living within a few yards.

Although, widows and recluses get the boot treatment from me as well. No mercy with them.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
It's my choice to catch and release. If it's not theirs, then it's not my job to tell them that it's important. Let's get real here, people. They're bugs. For every spider that was found and killed, there are five more living within a few yards.

Although, widows and recluses get the boot treatment from me as well. No mercy with them.
Only thing I treat with a disregard for its existence that isn't a pest is wasps.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I remind that person that I believe ALL life is precious and no life should be needlessly killed.

Then, I tell them I also believe in Hammurabi's Code, as I pull out my Uzi.

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
Ideally people would educate themselves on which "pests" are beneficial and completely harmless to humans so that they can catch and release those. However, not everyone can identify all the critters that crawl into their homes. I live in AZ and people here kill scorpions regularly given that C. sculpturatus, one of the more common ones, can deliver a really nasty sting. You don't want that one crawling on your kids or small pets :/

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I just take satisfaction in that such a person is most likely surrounded by the spiders they squashed and they don't even know it.

Reminds me of a time where I went to a park and asked a few people if they have seen tarantulas there. One girl was convinced there were none since she has been coming to that particular park for years and never saw one. That same evening I saw several walking about on the paved trails that same girl was walking on.

I think of that every time someone kills a spider out of fear or disgust. One may kill a few here and there but sometimes there are giants living in the ground those same people walk on. :)