What is this?

lwinther47

Arachnopeon
A couple of minutes ago I feed my tarantula a dubia roach. I was busy for a bit and then I went to check on him and I see this (picture below). What is that? I’m pretty sure it wasn’t there before I fed him.
291C5B2B-6563-4AE4-95CC-DE0EE8171025.jpeg

Liquifin

Arachnoking
That is a female dubia's oothecae or their egg case. Female dubia roaches will maternally keep their oothecae inside themselves until the baby dubias are ready, then she'll birth them. When you feed a female with a oothecae inside them to a tarantula, they will sometimes drop them.

Last edited:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
put in a critter keeper and start a colony (hopefully)
I don't think that will work. Normally, they incubate inside the female's body. The eggs actually hatch *inside* her body and the mother expels the nymps as they hatch. If the ootheca is dropped prematurely, the eggs and the developing roaches inside them will just dry out and die. They only chance they might have of surviving is if hatching was already imminent when she dropped the ootheca.

Adam Jablonka

Arachnopeon
I don't think that will work. Normally, they incubate inside the female's body. The eggs actually hatch *inside* her body and the mother expels the nymps as they hatch. If the ootheca is dropped prematurely, the eggs and the developing roaches inside them will just dry out and die. They only chance they might have of surviving is if hatching was already imminent when she dropped the ootheca.
You are very well informed sir.

Moyzie

Arachnosquire
Weirdly enough, having adopted a set of Madagascan hissers earlier this week, I would of been able to identify this NOW, but not before. Last night I checked on the litten's and to my horror I was like "what the f*** is that? my first thought was worm of some sort eating the roach, a parasite? a naked morio worm thingymajig!??!? I then googled, cockroach penis. Some of the images I wish i could unsee. Poor guys, Poor wives ! I also discovered the fake story of cockroaches living inside mens penis. WTF.

Digression is my middle name

I was then wondering if it was some sort of penis, but it was coming out of what i believed to be a female. Im like a meganoob, but the m/f thing I had mastered.
A few mins later on google after googling breeding i learned of the egg sac stick or whatever its called. Like who, never seen anything like it.

NOW THIS IS WHY I HAVE THROWN MYSELF INTO THE WORLD OF LITTLE ONES.

I love being shocked, I love not knowing. I love having to google and ask. Its the start of a journey for me, but i know already Im gonna look back at this moment and think - that was a chance to have a different life. LEFT OR RIGHT ? Blue pill or red pill moment.

Im gonna choose the bugz life, cos they're cool and interesting.

Marlana

Arachnoknight
Weirdly enough, having adopted a set of Madagascan hissers earlier this week, I would of been able to identify this NOW, but not before. Last night I checked on the litten's and to my horror I was like "what the f*** is that? my first thought was worm of some sort eating the roach, a parasite? a naked morio worm thingymajig!??!? I then googled, cockroach penis. Some of the images I wish i could unsee. Poor guys, Poor wives ! I also discovered the fake story of cockroaches living inside mens penis. WTF.

Digression is my middle name

I was then wondering if it was some sort of penis, but it was coming out of what i believed to be a female. Im like a meganoob, but the m/f thing I had mastered.
A few mins later on google after googling breeding i learned of the egg sac stick or whatever its called. Like who, never seen anything like it.

NOW THIS IS WHY I HAVE THROWN MYSELF INTO THE WORLD OF LITTLE ONES.

I love being shocked, I love not knowing. I love having to google and ask. Its the start of a journey for me, but i know already Im gonna look back at this moment and think - that was a chance to have a different life. LEFT OR RIGHT ? Blue pill or red pill moment.

Im gonna choose the bugz life, cos they're cool and interesting.
🤣🤣🤣🤣 Hilarious! And also exactly what I do. Do I ask someone what it is? No! I go on a 2 hour google dive and find odd information along the way. It’s just my nature. I must know and if the answer is out there…I will find it.