What is this patch on my T’s?

Makeno

Arachnopeon
IMG_4325.jpeg
So my (i think) T.vagans had just recently molted and i discovered this patch on her abdomen. I wasn’t sure what it was so i posted on reddit looking for answer and people said that i should be worried. Mind you this photo is taken 3 days after she molted.
I would love to identify this problem as well as the solution to it. This is my first tarantula i don’t want to lose it, especially since my mom has just started getting into the hobby.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
View attachment 470079
So my (i think) T.vagans had just recently molted and i discovered this patch on her abdomen. I wasn’t sure what it was so i posted on reddit looking for answer and people said that i should be worried. Mind you this photo is taken 3 days after she molted.
I would love to identify this problem as well as the solution to it. This is my first tarantula i don’t want to lose it, especially since my mom has just started getting into the hobby.
That is the most odd thing I've seen in a while on a T's abdomen. My eyes are not the best anymore. Could it be some type of cyst?, I'm not sure. Then there's those little grayish white specks at the top left that at first appear to look like mites but then they don't.

Have you had this T before it's last molt? I'm curious to it's condition before the last molt. Could of had a previous injury and this is the beginning of repair after it's last molt, I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Looks like an unusual cyst, I bought one with a bad cyst once.

Makeno

Arachnopeon
That is the most odd thing I've seen in a while on a T's abdomen. My eyes are not the best anymore. Could it be some type of cyst?, I'm not sure. Then there's those little grayish white specks at the top left that at first appear to look like mites but then they don't.

Have you had this T before it's last molt? I'm curious to it's condition before the last molt. Could of had a previous injury and this is the beginning of repair after it's last molt, I'm not sure.
I had this T since it was a sling. Raised it for 7 years to get it to this size, which is rather slow. I must admit there was a period of time where I neglected it and contemplating selling it, but no significant injury. The only thing i could think of is that patch is also on the same spot as the previous molt’s bald spot from kicking hair.

View attachment 470079
here’s a closer look on the patch: IMG_4345.jpeg

Makeno

Arachnopeon
I didn’t regard that grayish thing. It looks a lot like hemolymph, which is concerning. At first I thought it was debris, but upon closer inspection, it looks like liquid that is leaking out of her abdomen.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I didn’t regard that grayish thing. It looks a lot like hemolymph, which is concerning. At first I thought it was debris, but upon closer inspection, it looks like liquid that is leaking out of her abdomen.
If that's the case and it's still leaking I would use cornstarch to seal it.

Yeah I couldn't really tell plus my eyes are not the best.

cold blood

Staff member
It could be a cyst...but it almost looks like a molting issue where the exo didnt fully form....it looks like its bulging just a bit...but i cant be completely sure based on the pic

Makeno

Arachnopeon
S
If that's the case and it's still leaking I would use cornstarch to seal it.

Yeah I couldn't really tell plus my eyes are not the best.
Should i wait until her exoskeleton fully heal or should i do it as soon as possible? She is still in a very vulnerable state and hasn’t left het hide yet. I’ll try to keep her updated to see if she could pull through

It could be a cyst...but it almost looks like a molting issue where the exo didnt fully form....it looks like its bulging just a bit...but i cant be completely sure based on the pic
Really felt like i got hit by the worst beginner‘s bad luck possible lol. I got a unidentifiable condition on my first and only matured tarantula.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
this is purely speculation, but it looks like the new exosceleton ruptured internally and healed back together before it was fully formed.

the pach itself looks like it may not have developed normally as a result.

if it recovers for now, the next molt will likely show if it will heal or end fatally.

it would be great if you could post an update then, most requests like this remain unconcluded...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sure looks like the exoskeleton didn’t grow properly- that’s quite large too

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Arachnophobphile has information that's worth paying attention to.

Last edited:

Makeno

Arachnopeon
UPDATE: I think i’m doing this out of desperation lol. My T’s decided to get out of her cave so I got the chance to take an even closer look. This is about 24H after the first photo.
It looks like it shrunk? or maybe her abdomen shrunk instead. Her bodily function seems to work just fine.
I will wait 2 weeks when i feel it is safe to feed her in order to provide some meaningful update.
IMG_4396.jpeg IMG_4404.jpeg

Makeno

Arachnopeon
UPDATE 2: It’s almost a week and things has turned for the worse. Luckily, it’s not that bad.
I was checking for her today and i notice that her abdomen was a little bit wet, mostly around the ‘wound’. Immediately i thought of hemolymph leaking and went to buy some cornstarch and covered it up. All i can do is hope for the best.
On the upside, the spot doesn’t seem to affect her much (at least not yet). There is no other area in her body where hemolymph could be leaking except around the spot. She is moving just fine, quite energetic actually. Despite that, ii’d still hold on for another or half a week for her to completely regenerate her exoskeleton and proceed to feed her.
Thank you to all the people on this forum for giving advice and information, and from all of the suggestions i might be able to draw my own speculation: This might be debris and dirt that got stuck on her when she is developing her exoskeleton. So after she molted, the dirt got in because some reason the web mat didn’t do it’s job properly, and while she is developing her exoskeleton, the dirt got in the way, “infused” with it and create this, almost like hard plate on the abdomen. If the abdomen shrinks or inflates, the plate would not do that accordingly, causing further rupture. That’s my current theory.
1st image is the wet spot, 2nd image is after the cornstarch operation.

I’ll you keep guys updated until she fully recovered.

Attachments