What is this on my mantis

Tittysprink

Arachnopeon
My friend and I caught this mantis today, and i am wondering what that growth on its side is, im counting 6 body segments and i believe it's a female, could that possibly be her ready to lay an ootheca?

Attachments

NathanJBoob

Arachnosquire
My friend and I caught this mantis today, and i am wondering what that growth on its side is, im counting 6 body segments and i believe it's a female, could that possibly be her ready to lay an ootheca?
Probably has a parasite inside her gut. Many wild caught mantids carry these types of worms in their digestive tracts.

At this time of year, at least here in PA., the Chinese mantids have already deposited their eggs and are at the end if their life span. Females ready to lay show their whole abdomens very swollen as if they are about to burst.

Tittysprink

Arachnopeon
Too bad, i was hoping id have eggs for spring. There is a reptile expo next week in New York so maybe i can find one over there, maybe even a more exotic species. Thanks for the insight.