What is this on my Asian Forrest?

ScorpyDude

Arachnopeon
Hello peeps, here I am again. As I mentioned on my first pot ever -being this one the second- I'm new to the hobby. I just noticed my Asian Forrest moving to the corner of the tank and I saw this underneath it. Never seen it before and I was wondering??? Molting in process???

Thanks for taking the time to look and answer.

Attachments

Hiking Mike

Arachnopeon
No worries! your scorpion is fine, those are pectines -- these are small comb-like appendages on the ventral abdomen (underside) of the scorpion used for reproduction

ScorpyDude

Arachnopeon
Thanks for your prompt response Mike. So I can say this one is male or female?

Hiking Mike

Arachnopeon
It's hard to tell, it depends on the number and spacing of teeth on the 'comb.' Im actually in the process of getting my first scorps too, I had come across pectines in my research. I would Google it or maybe someone on here could tell you male/female.

JoshBC

Arachnosquire
Hard to tell, you may need to take a clearer picture. For sexing I wouldn't focus on the pectines as much as the genital operculum right above. If it's heart-shaped, female. If it's oval and lumpy looking, male. I'll post a couple pics of mine, hopefully it'll give you an idea what to look for.

First pic is my Heterometrus Spinifer (Asian forrest scorpion) Female. Second is my Pandinus Cavimanus (red claw emperor) Male. Like I said, you really need a crisp photo to tell. Good luck :)

Attachments