What is this female purpurea doing????

teamster6

Arachnopeon
I purchased this mf purpurea to try and breed her with a male I purchased. She is about 3 1/2 inches. I have only had her for a few days and have had her tanked next to the male letting them both settle in.

According to who I purchased her from she molted about two months ago so I dont think she is moulting. She ate well the first day and now this is going on. She has been completely sealing off this flower pot. Dont know what is going on maybe she was already gravid??

Teamster6

Last edited:

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IMHO she is using the only hide provided.That spider is probably in shock. Do you have any corkbark in there so she can climb to the top?From the looks of things you really need to set that tank up properly for her,(vertical) and provide a large water dish.It looks like a setup for a terrestrial with an arboreal thrown in....The purpurea we have had all made massive tubes compared to other avicularia,from the bottom to the top of their homes.They just need a proper place to anchor their webbing towards the top( corkbark)

teamster6

Arachnopeon
Yeah this was only a temporary setup. I ordered two large enclosures from the tarantula cage guy that should be here in a couple of days. YOu cant see it in the picture but there is a large water dish to the left.

Teamster6

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah this was only a temporary setup. I ordered two large enclosures from the tarantula cage guy that should be here in a couple of days.

Teamster6
That spider is just doing whatever it can to be out of sight. Ours were VERY reclusive.They made their homes with whatever was available,and disappeared.