What is the process with a hatching eggsac?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
when an eggsac hatches into hundreds of slings, what are you supposed to do? Do you leave them in the same large enclosure until they molt a few times? What then? Housing every sling would require a ton of little deli cups, and feeding all of them would suck. Do a lot of them die in the early stages? That would make it easier. Do they cannibalize to thin their numbers a bit? That's sad. How does this work?

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
I think this thread would be better placed in the Tarantula Questions and Discussions section. :troll:

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
I didn't think it was scientific enough for that
Yeah I really wouldn't know to be honest. I was just busting your chops. I agree that it's sad when the slings cannibalize I recently saw a deli cup full of P. murinus slings at a lps and the guy told me he was waiting for them to thin out before he separated them. I don't know if that's frowned upon or even efficient but if I were breeding, I would try to avoid doing that.

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
when an eggsac hatches into hundreds of slings, what are you supposed to do? Do you leave them in the same large enclosure until they molt a few times? What then? Housing every sling would require a ton of little deli cups, and feeding all of them would suck. Do a lot of them die in the early stages? That would make it easier. Do they cannibalize to thin their numbers a bit? That's sad. How does this work?
I'm sure someone like cold blood could drop some knowledge. I don't even know how to tag people haha but I hope he replies to the thread

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Yeah I really wouldn't know to be honest. I was just busting your chops. I agree that it's sad when the slings cannibalize I recently saw a deli cup full of P. murinus slings at a lps and the guy told me he was waiting for them to thin out before he separated them. I don't know if that's frowned upon or even efficient but if I were breeding, I would try to avoid doing that.
I've heard of people doing it with Araneomorphae spiders that live for like a year. Tarantulas are higher life forms imo than that.

creepa

Arachnoknight
What i did is when the sac of my C. sp. Hatihati was 30 days old i took it from the mother and when i opened it they where ewls, and i put them in an incubator.

Then i waited until they molted to first, second and third instar and then i seperated them...

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Do you know how to use the search feature? Or how to use Google? This had been answered numerous times including some nice videos by members of these boards.

cold blood

Staff member
Typically you will, as mentioned, take the sac at 30 days (hopefully before is hatches). This way you don't have to round up 100's of little ones that can easily hide or be in a burrow, which can make retrieval a pain. Or you let them hatch with mom and than collect them....like this.

Generally they stay in an incubator until they molt from 1i to 2i, which is when they will begin to look like little tarantulas. When they molt, I separate them...for most species you have a few days to a week to do this, after which cannibalism generally will begin.

There are exceptions, like pokies for instance, that can indeed be housed together for a few molts, but I always prefer to just separate them at 2i.

Yes, it requires a lot of cups for housing and feeding days can take hours.

Generally, if things are done properly, few if any will die, although sometimes there are losses....but looses are rarely extreme. Best bet for survival is separating them and feeding them asap...by separating you can ensure each is actually eating, as opposed to keeping them in groups where some can dominate the food and others just fail to grow as their siblings take their food.

I've heard of people letting them together to cannibalize, but IMO this is straight up irresponsible and lazy.

This is just prior to separation when they've all molted into 2i.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Do you know how to use the search feature? Or how to use Google? This had been answered numerous times including some nice videos by members of these boards.
Sorry if I wanted to actually use the forum meant to give answers about tarantulas to get answers about tarantulas. Especially when using google is discouraged on these very same forums. Basically every single thread on this forum could be replaced with "Just Google it." <edit>

cold blood

Staff member
Sorry if I wanted to actually use the forum meant to give answers about tarantulas to get answers about tarantulas. Especially when using google is discouraged on these very same forums. Basically every single thread on this forum could be replaced with "Just Google it." <edit> .
Using google to find things on AB is in fact, the best way to search these forums.

Last edited by a moderator:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Google isn't always the best way to find answers, even if you use AB. Countless threads exist on the dangers of mites, Avicularia not needing substrate, and keeping some species communal when they should not be.

These forums are over a decade old. The further back you go, the more wild speculation you'll find. Some advice is just blatantly wrong. Discussions like these are better than the constant "what do you name your spiders" threads. If you don't want to participate, then simply don't reply. Shocking how that works.

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Sorry if I wanted to actually use the forum meant to give answers about tarantulas to get answers about tarantulas. Especially when using google is discouraged on these very same forums. Basically every single thread on this forum could be replaced with "Just Google it." <edit> .

Hmmm, I don't remember calling you names. However more on point, cold blood was willing to respond to your op even though he has answered this same question before. My point is that if you were to take the time to do some research. You would find a heck of a lot of information out there. If at that point you still had questions at least you would be prepared for a discussion on the topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Google isn't always the best way to find answers, even if you use AB. Countless threads exist on the dangers of mites, Avicularia not needing substrate, and keeping some species communal when they should not be.

These forums are over a decade old. The further back you go, the more wild speculation you'll find. Some advice is just blatantly wrong. Discussions like these are better than the constant "what do you name your spiders" threads. If you don't want to participate, then simply don't reply. Shocking how that works.
I hope you realize that much of the current advise is based on speculation as well.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I hope you realize that much of the current advise is based on speculation as well.
Of course it is, but it's a hell of a lot better than what it was before. It's extremely common now to have actual discussions with citations. Not so at all back then, at least not with the majority of threads I've seen when Googling to AB past.

We've got a new hobbyist that is wanting to learn. This hobby is an ocean of information, it's absolutely overwhelming. You don't know what you don't know, so how would you search for it? Discouraging people from asking questions is how ignorance spreads.

These are forums, not Wikipedia. Forums are meant to discuss - if we just yelled "SEARCH IT" to every question, then why bother with a forum?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Hmmm, I don't remember calling you names. However more on point, cold blood was willing to respond to your op even though he has answered this same question before. My point is that if you were to take the time to do some research. You would find a heck of a lot of information out there. If at that point you still had questions at least you would be prepared for a discussion on the topic.
Of course it is, but it's a hell of a lot better than what it was before. It's extremely common now to have actual discussions with citations. Not so at all back then, at least not with the majority of threads I've seen when Googling to AB past.

We've got a new hobbyist that is wanting to learn. This hobby is an ocean of information, it's absolutely overwhelming. You don't know what you don't know, so how would you search for it? Discouraging people from asking questions is how ignorance spreads.

These are forums, not Wikipedia. Forums are meant to discuss - if we just yelled "SEARCH IT" to every question, then why bother with a forum?
Agreed. This isn't the German forums.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Of course there is varience between species in this. I've read that GBB sacs mature rather quickly and some will pull them at 20-22 days while others go longer than 30.

I've never done it but I'll let you know when I do here in a couple of months! I'll be sure to let everyone know if I find any with wings.

Also check out the breeding reports for detailed information.

cold blood

Staff member
I would hope that most people offering advice are doing so based on real experiences and not just speculations.

Yes, but the fact of the matter is that most of these common questions and a ton of others have been asked, discussed and answered, in just the past couple of years...so while you are right on that a lot of the older threads are very dated, that doesn't mean there isn't a more recent and prudent thread that can be searched for...its just a matter of doing a search and looking at the most recent threads on the topic.

louise f

Arachnoangel
I would hope that most people offering advice are doing so based on real experiences and not just speculations.

Yes, but the fact of the matter is that most of these common questions and a ton of others have been asked, discussed and answered, in just the past couple of years...so while you are right on that a lot of the older threads are very dated, that doesn't mean there isn't a more recent and prudent thread that can be searched for...its just a matter of doing a search and looking at the most recent threads on the topic.
Awwcchh that purple really annoys my eyes sweetheart <3 :smug::kiss: