What is the most venomous spider in the trade?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Shweety, if you saw what I dealt with as a cop and paramedic you might just go genuflect on your neighbors lawn and sing their praises to the skies: "No sir. Hitting your wife with an -empty- beer can is still considered assault."
Think of having a truly twisted and demented version of Homer Simpson as your neighbor. There are thousands like that, or much worse. MUCH worse.
Recalling one regular customer a police department had. Cited him over 100 times for pooping out of his window for the neighbors to watch.
Your inbox is full

I come from, and still am in, an extreme inner city urban environment. I full well understand what you deal with every day. Trust me. Some of my closest friends are law enforcement officers and I respect you guys. Let us not de-rail the thread anymore :)

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I would think that any animal whether it is an arachnid or reptile with medically important venom should only be sold to persons over the age of 18 and have them sign an indemnity form before taking ownership. But with so many private sales it will be impossible to govern I guess.
It is a hard line to draw in the sand.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I would think that any animal whether it is an arachnid or reptile with medically important venom should only be sold to persons over the age of 18 and have them sign an indemnity form before taking ownership. But with so many private sales it will be impossible to govern I guess.
I am firmly against this break over point where a switch clicks and a person is supposedly a competent capable intelligent adult. That is asinine. I know quite a few "underage" women as young as 14 who are competent mothers and care providers.
In the modern world, especially in the US, I do see some wisdom in that due to the incompetence of the parents to give their children the ability to think and discern and the age of reason should be up in the mid 20s and if the parents are devoutly fanatic religious, in the 90's.

I am also categorically against protecting a person from him or herself. If you think about that, it is hard to get more stupid, especially with the mixed signals given people today. Victimless crimes. Dumber than dirt. It's okay to play with loaded guns by yourself but take a puff of ganga in the privacy of your own home and you can go to prison. If you want to trash yourself fine be it drugs of whatever or being the ultimate absent minded jerkoff keeping cobras, that's your business.
Where laws should intervene is in protecting the animals from the imbeciles:
"Sorry, you have failed to prove you are more intelligent that a toaster. You may not have a license to keep any animal with the exception of those with equal mentality to your own to wit, common slugs and garden snails."
Then when the brainless poophead gets caught with a restricted animal the fine and prison sentence is in direct proportion to the animals conservation status with Least Concern a $50 fine and probation to Critically Endangered getting half your income garnisheed for the rest of your life, half of which will be spent in public service work camps.

brolloks

Arachnobaron
License/Permits are a good option, but only if they are obtainable by ordinary folk and not just targeted at the breeders/stores/labs/etc.

People will always find loopholes in the system or just plainly ignore the rules and do as they wish without caring about the consequences.

nieksluys

Arachnopeon
when did this turn from a topic about venomous arachnids into a debate about wether or not people should have children from a certain age.

goddammit, back to the topic.

dear @darkness975 ... the last thing we want to do, is live as cavemen and hide our (dangerous) animals from our local environment and try to run from our responsibilitys, people are going to know sooner or later regardless, or maybe at least suspect something.

all right, an example, here in Holland, some guy got his Naja nivea/ Cape cobra (relatively large, bad tempered and highly venomous cobra) loose in the neighborhood... it was ALL over the news, the papers, radio, TV... it ended in court, basically, and the idea that venomous animals (or any animal, for that matter) should be able to be kept in captivity, was highly up to debate (the government is busy making a lot of laws regarding the keeping of exotic animals).
at that time, everyone overreacted: people on social media were in an outrage, everyone who was keeping venomous animals was a self entitled egocentric thrillseeker who should be put in a mental institution, people in the hobby were furious, how could this happen? The person itself also didnt have an idea how it could happen, it just did.
everyone you could think of got involved, the police, a local zoo who sent ''experts'' to hunt for the snake, the local firemen...
eventually the snake was found in the shelter of a nearby home, and got caught without any harm done to anyone.

a big snake that got into a closed shelter? imagine the places a spider would be able to crawl in/on to.

so basically everone overreacted, and the person was fined around 25k to pay for (sorry, looking for words here) well, the work done by all the instances, even though most were totally unnecessary.

you know who didnt overreact? the neighborhood.
because the guy was just a normal, decent bloke that was honest about the animals he kept towards his surroundings, because he talked with everyone BEFOREHAND ánd afterwards.

the people were like: hey, don't worry about it, it could happen to everybody. and these were people that didnt even keep anything remotely simmilar to exotic animals, mind you.

See? That's what happens when you're honest to your surroundings (well, not guaranteed, obviously), because a slip up can happen to everybody, of course, it shouldn't happen, never, at all.
but because this guy lived up to his responsibilities he can at least show himself to this day into his own neighbourhood, because he never hid anything from anybody, imagine how it would have went down if he dídn't inform the neighbourhood, and his Cobra got loose...

please guys, take this as a lesson (or just take it to heart)

regards,

Niek

Rogerpoco

Arachnopeon
I agree with a lot of what you said, but I do not agree with this statement. The last thing we need is nosey neighbors (or the neighbors that hate us) finding out about what we have and using it in neighbor wars and jeopardizing our entire hobby. It is sad, but we are not a society of "love thy neighbor" we are a society of "fear thy neighbor."
In my neck of the woods,haha,the creedo seems to be "screw over thy neighbor". It's really sad.
With blue laws and such,it's nearly impossible to be 100% certain,but I am fairly sure everything I keep is legal in my area. Still,in a small town,where a very few people run the entire show basically,I feel it prudent to keep my hobby relatively quiet-umm...except that I only seem to be aware that they sell Spider Halloween decorations,nothing else...

I agree with @The Snark 100% on the point of the inanity of trying to protect someone from themselves. But the story brought up by @nieksluys has a very good point. On this particular topic,at this point,at least,the issue seems to be protecting others from our potential missteps.
Truly,I'm not sure where I stand on the issue,but I do see where some would feel that if you keep potentially life-threatening animal species,you may have a community obligation to acknowledge it.
This is extreme,and unlikely,but even if your neighbors cannot legally harass you because of your animals,it at least gives them the option to move away,rather than face an unwanted surprise visitor.