What is the most saught after tarantula ?

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's what I think...LOL-She's really pretty.& Fat Again.

Mine just ate her sack, after like, 40+ days!

Bad Mommy ! Bad C.Rican Bad!:mad:

Jason

Last edited:

Andy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
On the whole it has to the the blondi, without a doubt

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As a whole, probably P. metallica.

I already have M. balfouri, so my most sought after are E. olivacea and P. ultramarinus.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hands down it has to be Stromatopelma satanas. But unfortunately no one has seen them since their description so they won't be around any time soon.
OMG YES!....i dont think they are the most saught after becuz like NO ONE knows if they even exist...and not many people know of the name itself...the guy whom i consider a mentor didnt even know about it when i described it to him.

Xian

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'll interject a little common sense here as my opinion on 'the most saught after tarantula'. The easiest way to determine this is to see which T is the most kept by all T owners. Be it G. rosea, or perhaps B. smithi, etc.
The most commonly owned T would have to be 'the most saught after' because it is aquired by the most people, therefor 'the most saught after'.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Seems to me that this question can be interpreted and therefore answered in 2 ways -

1) the most sought after would be the one people want most, in which case I would think it would have to be G rosea

or

2) I can't speak for anybody else, but my most sought after at this point is Brachypelma epicureanum, only because when I first read about it I wanted one, and then found out that it is apparently not to be had - WHICH ONLY MAKES ME WANT IT MORE !!:wall:

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You guys are killing me! You are only making me want the most sought after therefore making me part of the most sought after tarantula crowd. This makes that tarantula(s) even more sought after by one more person.:D

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Seems to me that this question can be interpreted and therefore answered in 2 ways -

1) the most sought after would be the one people want most, in which case I would think it would have to be G rosea

or

2) I can't speak for anybody else, but my most sought after at this point is Brachypelma epicureanum, only because when I first read about it I wanted one, and then found out that it is apparently not to be had - WHICH ONLY MAKES ME WANT IT MORE !!:wall:
I don't think G rosea is really "sought" after. It's just commonly available and extremely cheap due to insane amounts of importation. If a pet store has a single tarantula for sale, 9 times out of 10 it's probably a G rosea.

WelshTan

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The most sought after tarantula is one YOU really really badly want but cant find or get anywhere or can't afford lol ...... whether it be a P. metallica or a grammostola pulchra to a G. rosea RCF lol

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't think G rosea is really "sought" after. It's just commonly available and extremely cheap due to insane amounts of importation. If a pet store has a single tarantula for sale, 9 times out of 10 it's probably a G rosea.
except the pet store i work for, which currently has 23 different species in stock lol ;) but we dont carry the most sought after....yet lol

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
^ that's why I said "single" tarantula. I know there are stores out there that actually carry a good supply of T's. Sounds like the store you work at has quite a selection, I'd be in there pretty often if I lived in Michigan.

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Killy, rosies are way too common in the hobby to be any sort of coveted species. A G. rosea RCF would be a rosie that people would go out of their way to actually search for.

Hands down it has to be Stromatopelma satanas. But unfortunately no one has seen them since their description so they won't be around any time soon.
+1!!!!!
Ever since I got my S. cal, I've wanted more members of the Stromatopelmanae sub-family....which led me to finding E. olivacea. :drool:

I've tried finding a photo of the S. satanas, but with a name like THAT, a pic isn't necessary. You just know it's gotta be out of this world!!!! :evil:

Oh yes ......what about the costa rican tiger rump?
Too bad they are common, and subsequently overlooked. I love this species, and feel as if they should get a bit more attention than they do.

So, what is the most sought-after T???
The most sought-after T is the one in your heart...the next one on the list...the one you absolutely must have!!!!

My most sought-after list (like the ones I can't find, or afford yet) would include (but not limited to): E. olivacea, I. seladonium, P. metallica, A. diversipes, B. epicureanum and X. immanis.

evicton

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I can't be the only one that has wet dreams of the Pampho Sp refered to as the 'chicken spider'. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I gotta P.Metallica...

So now I want a Poecilotheria Smithi...:rolleyes:

Just waitin'.....J

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What came 1st ?

The "ckicken" or the "spider" ?:confused: LOL

I'd also like a Psalmopoeus yet described -or- *Rare*

Last edited:

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The most sought after tarantula is one YOU really really badly want but cant find or get anywhere ...
If a pet store has a single tarantula for sale, 9 times out of 10 it's probably a G rosea.
Precisely my point! Now you've got my hopes up! Is that other 1 time out of 10 the b epicureanum, and if so, it's that LPS I'm seeking! :drool:

robertcarst

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The "ckicken" or the "spider" ?:confused: LOL

I'd also like a Psalmopoeus yet described -or- *Rare*

Here is your rare Psalmo: Psalmopoeus langenbucheri. I happen to own irminia, cambridgei, pulcher and reduncus so this is next on the list, even if I can't find it on any FS list.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Precisely my point!
The ubiquity of a G rosea has little to do with its desirability, rather it's cheap price and the fact that Chile will still allow exportation by the boatload. It's just about the only adult T you can get for under $20.

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The ubiquity of a G rosea has little to do with its desirability, rather it's cheap price and the fact that Chile will still allow exportation by the boatload. It's just about the only adult T you can get for under $20.
Avic avic's are also extremely cheap. I paid $15 for my 4" girl.

OBT, H. mac, P. lugardi, and A. seemani adults are a few of the species I've seen priced at the "around $20" range" at an LPS or two in my area.