What is it?

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
All right experts what is it? Not a game, I have it narrowed down to about four species I think it is.

Attachments

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
The unknown T

This is the T I recently rescued. It was huddled in the semi-death pose for a while and was sluggish, but now it seems to be huddled in the corner of the pet pal. It isn't stuck, it came down for a while and then went back up there. I started with 75% humidity, but thought maybe he wanted it drier, so I adjusted it to 60%, but same result. He does look darker in the photo than in real life. He is really blonde/golden looking and doesn't look as brown as in the photo. Any ideas?

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm no expert, but it looks like an A. Seemani to me. I saw some at the local pet shop that look almost exactly like that one.

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
My first thought...

Yeah that was my first thought especially with the knee markings, just didn't think the belly would be as light as that.

NorthwestInverts

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A. seemanni. The brown morph. I personally dont think they are as striking as the darker morph. I have lots of these.

Dean

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah that isnt nearly as gorgeous as a normal color morph. I never would have guessed it was an A seemani.

ahkiu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i'm a real newbie but i say something similar recently and it kinda looks like a Pterinochilus meridionalis to me.

probably wrong though since everyone else reckons it's a seemanni :D :p

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They do have lighter bellies, too.....I know the below method of holding a T isn't exactly preferred, but I wanted to get a decent underbelly pic. Here's my A. Seemani's belly:

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I like the brown and grey morph better... I think it is prettier and a lil' more rare.. I plan to retain some soon.

Very cute and great pics ;)

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't know if I'd settle on that id just yet. Even the lighter colored seemani's I've seen have leg striping that is much more prominant than that.

Atrax

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
I'll see if I can get a better pic

I'll see if I can get a better pic when he comes back down to the substrate. BTW, this is the one the pet store says was a G. Rosea and I got it for $5. A good deal to me no matter what the species.:)

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Oh, and maybe it wants even lower humidity? It looks to me like it's too much for it if it's still sitting on the air holes.

NorthwestInverts

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know what you're saying Atrax, but like I said I have lots of these and some have very little visable leg striping, which really has nothing to do with ID anyway, but when you talk of A. seemanni, everyone expects to see the stripes, but this newer color morph, many individuals just dont have it.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Spiderdad33
I know what you're saying Atrax, but like I said I have lots of these and some have very little visable leg striping, which really has nothing to do with ID anyway, but when you talk of A. seemanni, everyone expects to see the stripes, but this newer color morph, many individuals just dont have it.
The brown morph seemani's are pretty new to the hobby? That would explain the difficulties I'm having in finding any info on them. :)
I absolutely agree with you in regards to id'ing a T based on color etc.. Especially where tibial striping is concerned. Just the number S. American species alone that possess bright tibial stripes makes a good case as to why.

Do you know where there may be more pics of the brown morph A. seemani?

Atrax

NorthwestInverts

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, the darker brown color morph of course has been around for awhile, along with the blackish morph, but this lighter brown to grayish morph with very little distinct striping is fairly new. Yes you're very right, not alot of pictures around of these. I will post some as soon as I can. I have around 20 subadult to adult sized of this morph.

Dean

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
A. seemani humidity

Oh, and maybe it wants even lower humidity? It looks to me like it's too much for it if it's still sitting on the air holes.
Yeah that's why I lowered it to about 55-60%. He's been down on the substrate in his hide all day so maybe he's happy now. Still, if it is A. seemani, I thought they liked it a little more humid, say 70-80%. Very strange, but he's quickly becoming my favorite...maybe I'll call him mutt.

NorthwestInverts

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Oh, and maybe it wants even lower humidity? It looks to me like it's too much for it if it's still sitting on the air holes."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, the T sitting up at the top of the enclosure (by the airholes)is in my opinion not necessarily a sign that the T wants a lower humidity. I have seen many causes to this situation. many times when I see a terrestrial T that hangs out on the walls, it seems to have to do with the type of substrate and or the moister content of the substrate being used. I use 100% peat for A. seemanni/ slightly moist througout, and never have any climb the walls. Also, A. seemanni is a burrower, so either give it enough substrate to burrow, and/or provide a shelter to make them feel more secure. Just a thought for ya.

Dean

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
Also, A. seemanni is a burrower, so either give it enough substrate to burrow, and/or provide a shelter to make them feel more secure. Just a thought for ya.
Thanks for all the tips. I've got him on 4" of peat and had it moistened throughout although I've let it dry out a bit trying to see if that was the problem. He's also got a hide which he stays inside of all the time now. I think I'll slightly raise the humidity and see what happens because it seems a little dry for A. seemani and you might be right, he may have been hanging from the top for other reasons (escape artist wannabe). Thanks to everyone for their inputs.:)