What is going on?!?! Dehydration? Temp?

Gooty11

Arachnopeon
A couple months ago my A. Geniculata went into a death curl and unfortunately didn't make it. What concerned me was that she was eating well, had a water dish, etc. My only problem is the temperature; I live in Southern California, and at night, it gets quite cold in my room. I don't have any supplemental heat because as a general rule it is not required. Fast forward to today, and I see my GBB exhibiting a slight curl in the legs. Again, she's eating well, has water, so my concern is that it's getting too cold in my room? Maybe time to invest in a space heater? I do not know why my tarantulas are having these problems, any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I doubt heat is the issue. Probably parasite of some sort from bad feeders.
are the Ts adults?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, first I need to ask you this: cold... how much, man? Remember, a 'cold' Theraphosidae is/acts sluggish, in a too hot environment one, a Theraphosidae is/risk to be 'cooked'. The latter IMO is always worst. This aside for really "ice" cold temps.

I agree with KezyGLA, probably something involving intoxication due to preys.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Do you have photos of setups? Humidity may be an issue with GBB.

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What's up, Irvine (I grew up there). Anyway, I live in So Cal and keep my central heating set to about 68F and mine are all fine. But I agree with the others, probably not due to the cold.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I assume or lows outside are in the 50s at night? If so, surely the temps inside your place are 65+. They might prefer it a bit warmer than that but I don't think that would seriously hurt or kill them.

Posting pictures is indeed a good idea. With a gbb just make sure the substrate is totally dry and that it has a water dish (sounds like it does). If you have all this correct and there is still an issue its going to be a bit harder to find the problem and solution...

Gooty11

Arachnopeon
I doubt heat is the issue. Probably parasite of some sort from bad feeders.
are the Ts adults?
Both are juveniles. I never considered a parasite to be an issue? How do you think I could tell for sure if it's a parasite? That would be quite awful...

Sana

Arachnoprince
How much time has passed since the first one started having problems? I feel like if the events have occurred a couple weeks apart then a feeder or environmental issue is most likely the problem. If it's been more than a month though it seems less likely that a parasite or toxin exposure is the cause. If I missed this information somewhere I apologize.

Gooty11

Arachnopeon
I assume or lows outside are in the 50s at night? If so, surely the temps inside your place are 65+. They might prefer it a bit warmer than that but I don't think that would seriously hurt or kill them.

Posting pictures is indeed a good idea. With a gbb just make sure the substrate is totally dry and that it has a water dish (sounds like it does). If you have all this correct and there is still an issue its going to be a bit harder to find the problem and solution...
At the very worst the temp is at the low 60's but usually around 65 I'd say. Yup, I leave the substrate totally dry, and the water dish is filled. It's just weird because it's like deja vu with my geniculata. Don't know what's up.

Gooty11

Arachnopeon
How much time has passed since the first one started having problems? I feel like if the events have occurred a couple weeks apart then a feeder or environmental issue is most likely the problem. If it's been more than a month though it seems less likely that a parasite or toxin exposure is the cause. If I missed this information somewhere I apologize.
It was about 4 weeks apart. However, I've been feeding all my T's from the same feeder and all the other ones have been doing fine.

cold blood

Staff member
Why are people in warm climates so resistant to heating? In the north we have these things called furnaces and thermostats, even when its -10 we can keep the temps at literally any level we want.:astonished: I mean, why not just set it at 68, its only going to go on to warm it a few degrees...is there no furnace option? I assume you're not in a camper.

I mean, when its 50 out and my thermostat is set at 68-70, the furnace hardly ever goes on and barely needs to work to keep those temps....its not even a major expense to heat a dwelling when its only 50 degrees outside.

Gooty11

Arachnopeon
What's up, Irvine (I grew up there). Anyway, I live in So Cal and keep my central heating set to about 68F and mine are all fine. But I agree with the others, probably not due to the cold.
Looks like 68F is the key temperature then. Thanks for the advice!

Sana

Arachnoprince
Excellent enclosure! I have to keep my house a little warmer then I'm totally excited about with my exotics. I don't let it drop below 73 unless something happens outside of my control (like the power outage this week).

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Enclosure looks fine. Bumping the heat up wont do damage. What do you use as prey and where do you get them?

I really think temperatures arent too bad. Lower temps shouldnt be an issue for the GBB but the enclosure being dry is a must.

Did you buy them as CB slings?

Struggling to think what the problem could be. Do you have a photo of both Ts in the curls?

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
My general rule of thumb is to always aim for a minimun of 70 degrees. during winter months my T room is usually between 72-74 degrees and summer months are around 78-80

Also are there any type of perfumes in the room?

Gooty11

Arachnopeon
Enclosure looks fine. Bumping the heat up wont do damage. What do you use as prey and where do you get them?

I really think temperatures arent too bad. Lower temps shouldnt be an issue for the GBB but the enclosure being dry is a must.

Did you buy them as CB slings?

Struggling to think what the problem could be. Do you have a photo of both Ts in the curls?
I use crickets and superworms from my local petsmart. I didn't get them as slings but I do know they are captive bred, and at the moment I don't have any pics. The curls are nothing too extreme, but to me it signals a problem. I can get pics as soon as I see it again.

Gooty11

Arachnopeon
My general rule of thumb is to always aim for a minimun of 70 degrees. during winter months my T room is usually between 72-74 degrees and summer months are around 78-80

Also are there any type of perfumes in the room?
Nope, nothing sprayed or scented in my room that would upset the T's.