What is a Good Beginner Mantid.?

pdm

Arachnopeon
I am looking to get my first mantis and was looking for some feedback. I was looking at the ghost, dead leaf & violin mantids.

pdm

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've had good luck with both African Budwings and Wide Arm mantids. They have both been hardy and are aggressive eaters. They are more interesting looking than Hierodula species IMO.

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There is no such thing as a communal mantis. There are a couple of species that are less agressive but over all they are canabulistic. I would recommend going with Chinese Mantids as a first species. They are hardy, common and very cheap. I am currently raising many L3 nymphs. They are fascinating and growing like weeeds.

pdm

Arachnopeon
ok thanks.

I have read that mantids bite/pinch when handled, is this correct?

pdm

Last edited:

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have never been bitten by a mantid, but I have been pinched by one. It was nothing.

The largest beginner mantis I believe is the chinese. They grow up to 5 inches.

Tom

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was just thinking about getting a mantid as a photograph subject aswell as a great pet, and was wondering ( apart from apperance and all) which are the lease skitty, and most calm when handled. So that they will stay in one place for a photo.

;P cheers;P

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Again,

I would go with the chinese mantid. They are not skittish at all. They love to sit on your hand or wherever and just watch you and whats going on around them. Their size, stature and demenor make them excellent pets and photo subjects.

Tom

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have some for sale. Check the sale adds here on Arachnoboard.

Tom

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've had good luck with both African Budwings and Wide Arm mantids. They have both been hardy and are aggressive eaters. They are more interesting looking than Hierodula species IMO.

I find that interesting. Are Hierodula really that impressive sizewise? It is true they do not look much different from the Chinese mantids we have here.

What about Miomantis?

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They are L3 & L4. Around an inch or slightly bigger.

danny7499

Arachnopeon
Whats the deal with Mantids and California now. My reptile place doesnt carry them anymore and I remember some hoopla, not too long ago

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wicked... dont spose you ship to britian.. if so do you cahrge more yea?