What if a Brachypelma hamorii would bite a ferret? Would the ferret be okey?

Bloem

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,

I am been lurking in this forums for a while and decided to make an account as well.
For a few months now I am looking into keeping a tarantula as pet, I got the Mexican Redknee in mind (Brachypelma hamorii). I am looked up a lot already about how to keep and care them, and stuff. But their is one question I cannot find an answer on. I also have ferrets who I have in my living room. One is old, three are younger.
I am planning to keep the tarantula in a terrarium in another room, my so called spare room. I also got my leaf insects over here in their terrarium.

I am planning on just geting 1 tarantula, the Brachypelma hamorii.
But I was wondering, I know that their possible bite will feel like a wasp sting to us. But what if, for some reason, the spider would escape and for some reason would also meet my ferret. Is a tarantula then dangerous for my ferrets? My ferrets are little predators who are 500 to 950 grams in weight.

Hope anyone can help me with this question. :)
I kinda do wanna get a tarantula as well, but I just wanna make sure I am not endagering anyone else in any possible way.

Kind regards,
Bloem

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
So I dont know the actual strength of the venom, I dont know if anyone actually does. I strongly doubt any Brachypelma could kill a ferret even if it bit, I imagine the ferret would eat the T. But I cannot guarentee this, as all animals (even humans) can have allergic/severe reactions to any venom, even a bee can take a full grown man down.
That aside so long as you appropriatly house your T and make sure the ferrets cant get to its terrarium the chance of an escape is low, it would literally have to be you messing up, and then if you make sure the room is locked off from other animals then the escapee would be contained and safe!

Bloem

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the reply.

I got my terrariums setup upstair in a room. Also I got their doors from glass that move up, and they are too heavy for insects. But yeah, they are away from each other a lot. The ferrets are not allowed upstairs in that room. And even then they cannot get to them or get them open.

(Gotta make sure my leaf insect setup with adults, juiveniles and eggs are safe from anyone.)

I do think the ferrets could kill the tarantula, but they also ignore the big house spiders who can get 7 cm when fully stretched. They are native species here living in the wild, and get in the house somethimes through the kitchen ventilation. But yeah, the tarantula does need to walk all the way out of the room, through the hall, make it downstair, and then the living room door is mostly always closed. So that is a long way and I would sure see it in the hallway, no hiding there.

I had a mantis in the past, that one also never escaped.
I had no escaped from any animal, would like to keep it that way. :D
Got a habit of doubel checking everything.

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
I would be more concerned that if there were to be an escape, the ferrets manage to get hold of the T and end up with a mouth/throat/eye full of urticating hairs.
Whilst it doesn't seem like the venom is overly effective to humans, the hairs can lead to respiratory and visual problems (inc. blindness) requiring surgery.

The good news is the species your considering is for the most part a slower / more docile / more manageable than the vast majority. Keeping them in a different room and with some good husbandry practice when it comes to maintenance and rehousing should leave minimal risk of any harm to your furry & non furry pals :)

As someone with a good number of T's (new and old world), 3 cats, a 2yr old and an arachnophobic partner.........IT CAN BE DONE :rofl:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Leaf insects rock!!

No one knows- your T would likely be killed, and your ferrets would have UrS all over their feet and face

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
your t would be slaughtered on the first bite from a ferret mine happily played with anything ferrets are crazy hyper as you know. play until they drop and get into everything they can . the best thing you can do is never allow them unsupervised any where near your insect cages. gotta admit though the funny way they hop around making that chirping noise to play just cracked me up every time

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Id think if your tarantula and ferret met it would be the tarantulas safety and well being that you should be worried about.

Bloem

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of your suggestions and comments.
I do have an own room for my terrarium pets, and the terrariums have glass fall doors so nobody can push the door open. (Their custum made, and heavy. LoL)
So I think it will be super hard for them to escape, and the room. But just in case.

At the moment I am still reading into the subject, as I am plan on getting one next year.

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
I am planning to keep the tarantula in a terrarium in another room,
Good idea.
But what if, for some reason, the spider would escape and for some reason would also meet my ferret. Is a tarantula then dangerous for my ferrets?
If you set up an enclosure for it correctly, escapes should never happen. In a hypothetical situation where T and ferret meet, the T could do damage to the ferret with its hairs if they ended up in it's eyes or respiratory system (flicking urticating hairs is the greatest defensive measure for many new world terrestrials as opposed to biting), and if it got bitten, well... as said above, allergic reactions can happen, but the venom of B hamorii itself isn't that potent so far as I know. If either ended up dead, its almost certainly going to be the T.
Great T, good choice. Glad to hear you are researching the animal before acquiring, be sure to come to the forum with questions if you need anything clarified, good luck!

Wolf135

Arachnoknight
What I would do is, place the tarantula enclosure in a ten gallon tank and put some snake clips on the lid.

murkoff

Arachnopeon
as some people above already said, i highly doubt the venom would be enough to cause any significant harm to a ferret. the hairs irritating the poor thing would probably be a bigger concern, but as long as you house the T appropriately, you shouldn't have to worry about escapes or incidents like this. i just generally find caution to be best with housing any kind of T, regardless of potency, and you'll be fine. don't "accidentally leave the lid open after feeding", etc, all those wack mistakes you hear about. besides that, if by some chance it did escape, it's highly likely that the T would be the one actually harmed between the two.

cold blood

Staff member
. Is a tarantula then dangerous for my ferrets? M
your ferrets could get bit a dozen times (but probably would never get bit, ferrets are quick, smart hunters) and it will always end with the ferret eating the tarantula. It would be fun for them.

They would have a much worse reaction to the hairs, although I doubt even that would cause any long term issues.

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
Hello everyone,

I am been lurking in this forums for a while and decided to make an account as well.
For a few months now I am looking into keeping a tarantula as pet, I got the Mexican Redknee in mind (Brachypelma hamorii). I am looked up a lot already about how to keep and care them, and stuff. But their is one question I cannot find an answer on. I also have ferrets who I have in my living room. One is old, three are younger.
I am planning to keep the tarantula in a terrarium in another room, my so called spare room. I also got my leaf insects over here in their terrarium.

But I was wondering, I know that their possible bite will feel like a wasp sting to us. But what if, for some reason, the spider would escape and for some reason would also meet my ferret. Is a tarantula then dangerous for my ferrets? My ferrets are little predators who are 500 to 950 grams in weight.

Hope anyone can help me with this question. :)
I kinda do wanna get a tarantula as well, but I just wanna make sure I am not endagering anyone else in any possible way.

Kind regards,
Bloem
I’m pretty sure your ferret would kill it. I doubt the tarantula has a chance. Ferrets are weasels. Vicious little boogers. I had ferrets before.

Bloem

Arachnopeon
I'm gonna file under 'weirdest 'what if' of the week'
hypothetically speaking
Why that?
I don't know much about the tarantula's yet, just wanting to learn and make sure every pet is safe at all times.

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
The tarantula will be a decent ferret snack and you’d just end up with a happy ferret. Guaranteed or your money back. 🤣

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Why that?
I don't know much about the tarantula's yet, just wanting to learn and make sure every pet is safe at all times.
because the n onion of a tarantula and a ferret running into each other seems odd
first the ferret would have to be loose
second the tarantula enclosure would have to ferret accessible

the only way both could happen would be negligent husbandry on both cases

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
because the n onion of a tarantula and a ferret running into each other seems odd
first the ferret would have to be loose
second the tarantula enclosure would have to ferret accessible

the only way both could happen would be negligent husbandry on both cases
More on the tarantula side. Ferrets are domesticated and can’t just be caged up all the time. The tarantula shouldn’t be handled as much.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
More on the tarantula side. Ferrets are domesticated and can’t just be caged up all the time. The tarantula shouldn’t be handled as much.
my point being if your ferret is running loose and unsupervised (like a cat) and your Ts are not isolated from them, you have failed on both sides

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I know that their possible bite will feel like a wasp sting to us.
The venom alone might feel like a wasp sting.

However, if you're talking about the bite itself...2 substantial puncture wounds will hurt a lot more for a lot longer, and are also at risk of infection. The bigger the fangs, the more mechanical damage is done.