What do your roommates/family members that you live with think of Ts?

deConteville

Arachnopeon
My mother was rather revolted at first, but I kept giving her random hints of knowledge. I was insistent I didn't want one, but I was just fascinated. That was true enough, as I was an arachnophobic still, so I wasn't quite ready for owning one. Instead I spent time researching, reading books and watching videos of people feed and take care of their T's. Of course, fear turned into fascination, fascination into admiration, and then I continued giving my mother facts versus myths. I could tell she was interested, so I asked and, still revolted, she agreed, under the condition that if it got out, she'd squash it :rolleyes:.

My stepfather didn't mind and joked about it alot, and still claims one day he'll burst into my room with a can of raid for my own protection. Irregardless I kept my T in my room so it could avoid my mom, but eventually I convinced her to watch me feed it.

Slowly she's fascinated by it now, and when it was molting I put it in a more public place. My mom was worried it was dead and was actually genuinely concerned for it, and now she likes watching things about tarantula's when they're on. Still hates the non T variety of Spiders though. I'm sure I can convince her to like them too.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have to chuckle because I have received so many of the same reactions as above, but one reaction that sticks out more than the others is Arachnoholics... Out of everything in this world to have as pets, why Spiders?!?!"

I get this all the time with EVERY pet I own. Snakes, spiders, the fish(because they're not tropical or saltwater fish...simply North American fishies)...heck I think the turtle is the only one who doesn't get that question...

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't live in the same state as my mom or sibs, but they pretty much think anything other than a dog or cat is immature and weird. My SIL irresponsibly (accidentaly/randomly) breeds her kids' hamsters, though:rolleyes:

My S/O thinks they're OK and my older boy thinks my G. rosea is so beautiful. He's bummed that the B. vagans I bought him hides all the time and you never see it; 3 inches
and too shy,I guess. My little boy (10) wants a "pinktoe", as he calls it (A .avic)

S/O says I can have 1 more but nothing else since "We have too many pets already". May be getting A. avic for Bday:D I want a B. emilia, B. albopilosum and GBB too, though!

Last edited:

Altair

Arachnopeon
Out of everything in this world to have as pets, why Spiders?!?!"
My roommates and family asked me the same question too. They also said "Spiders aren't pets! You can't pet them!"

But they got pretty quiet when I mentioned fish can't be petted either. :)

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My father is indifferent but my mother hated them, however, she is starting to think that they are kinda pretty, especially my A.versicolor. Maybe there is hope for her yet. ;)

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my parents dont care much,i just have to keep the place tidy and clean (which i still don't do).
my mom seems to like roaches though...she just doesnt touch em.
my sister probably doesnt know they exist.