What do You use for substrate?

invertinverts

Arachnopeon
I apologize if this is a thread that already exists, but I couldn't find it.

I used to use bio dude and reptisoil but have moved on to making my own mixture as it gets expensive real quick with any even medium sized collection. Usually a mix of top soil, excavator clay, and coco fiber. Most recently I found a landscaping type place near me that sells top soil which already has clay and sand among other things in it. I worked really hard to find this place because they actually list the ingredients of the dirt and exactly what's in it whereas at home depot it will just say "forest products". I live in the pnw and found most topsoil has a lot of conifer/pine in it which I've heard is bad for tarantulas (but I had to buy it in bulk for my snake which is actually why I was so concerned).

What do you use? What do you put in your mix? Do you use conifer products? And is it easy for you to find topsoil without conifer where you are?

Appreciate any input, I'm always looking to try new things and have far from perfected my dirt mix.

Mustafa67

Arachnopeon

I used to use bio dude and reptisoil but have moved on to making my own mixture as it gets expensive real quick with any even medium sized collection. Usually a mix of top soil, excavator clay, and coco fiber. Most recently I found a landscaping type place near me that sells top soil which already has clay and sand among other things in it. I worked really hard to find this place because they actually list the ingredients of the dirt and exactly what's in it whereas at home depot it will just say "forest products". I live in the pnw and found most topsoil has a lot of conifer/pine in it which I've heard is bad for tarantulas (but I had to buy it in bulk for my snake which is actually why I was so concerned).

What do you use? What do you put in your mix? Do you use conifer products? And is it easy for you to find topsoil without conifer where you are?

Appreciate any input, I'm always looking to try new things and have far from perfected my dirt mix.
Coco fibre

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Coco fibre
Same here but I gotta find a new source for it big mold issues .

mix of top soil and coco fiber.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You couldn’t find a single post on this? How did you search, and what terms did you use?

maybe this info could improve the site….

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
What part of Washington? Can you make a trek south east to the "desert" as I used to call it when I was a kid 🤣

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
cocofiber only tried using a mix of repti soil with it but ended up with mold issues. so its pure coco fiber only now

invertinverts

Arachnopeon
cocofiber only tried using a mix of repti soil with it but ended up with mold issues. so its pure coco fiber only now
I had insane mold issues with the bio dude stuff which is why I quit using it :/

What part of Washington? Can you make a trek south east to the "desert" as I used to call it when I was a kid 🤣
I live on the Canadian border somewhat close to Bellingham if you know where that is lol. Too scared about pesticides to be taking any random dirt from outside 😭

You couldn’t find a single post on this? How did you search, and what terms did you use?

Haha of course I found some posts (mostly about coco fiber). I wish there was a thread with lots of people saying what they use and how they mix it up in one place, but I couldn't find such a thing. I was also unable to find anecdotal evidence of the safety of conifer products in substrate. If you know of one, feel free to link it ;)

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

Probably couldn’t choose from hundreds of threads 🧵..🤣 I have atleast 5 one dealing with substrate .
Haha of course I found some posts (mostly about coco fiber). I wish there was a thread with lots of people saying what they use and how they mix it up in one place, but I couldn't find such a thing. I was also unable to find anecdotal evidence of the safety of conifer products in substrate. If you know of one, feel free to link it ;)
maybe you didn’t search the right terms 🔍 it’s fine , I wouldn’t use anything with sap or ceder .
Cured pine I don’t know 🤷

Last edited:

caddude

Formerly 'cadman99'
Arachnosupporter
I have always used coconut fiber and have had good success with it. Just be sure to pack it down to firm up the surface, as some Ts are sensitive to losing substrate.

Spinnenfritzi

Arachnopeon
i use soil sold for tortoise keeping ( was recommended by a german youtuber).
Dosen't mold, dosen't collapse, is nice for burrowing, looks good and holds moisture very well!

caddude

Formerly 'cadman99'
Arachnosupporter
Dosen't mold, dosen't collapse, is nice for burrowing, looks good and holds moisture very well!
What is the brand of soil, please?

invertinverts

Arachnopeon
Wow I didn't even know tortoise soil was a thing 😯 might have to look into that

invertinverts

Arachnopeon
Probably couldn’t choose from hundreds of threads 🧵..🤣 I have atleast 5 one dealing with substrate .

maybe you didn’t search the right terms 🔍 it’s fine , I wouldn’t use anything with sap or ceder .
Cured pine I don’t know 🤷
Yeah I don't plan to use any lol I'm too nervous. I wonder if it causes respiratory issues like in snakes or if it causes serious neurological problems like dks symptoms 🤷

I have always used coconut fiber and have had good success with it. Just be sure to pack it down to firm up the surface, as some Ts are sensitive to losing substrate.
Do you have issues with fossorial species and coco fiber? I have always felt it doesn't hold burrows quite as well

caddude

Formerly 'cadman99'
Arachnosupporter
I do not have fossorials. However, I would think that coco fiber would need an additive to make it bind better,

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I had insane mold issues with the bio dude stuff which is why I quit using it :/

I live on the Canadian border somewhat close to Bellingham if you know where that is lol. Too scared about pesticides to be taking any random dirt from outside 😭

You are smart to stay away from conifers, any odiferous would secretes oils that are toxic to invertebrates (and actually used as insect repellent, e.g. cedar wood oil). Also very toxic to cats FWIW.

Personally I use reptisoil for just about everyone, because I don't "trust" anything that's not specifically marketed for animals. You still have to read the label as many reptile and mammal products include pine products.

I have the luxury of living/accessing the native distribution for many Aphonopelma species, and collect native "loamy soil" but still trek a mile from any show of civilization to avoid chemicals.

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter

Reptisoil