What do you name them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Absolutely there was! Please see my post before this one.
My apologies then. It wasn't needed.

Not even sure how this is a big point. We all care about our tarantulas, but some do it in a more scientific way than others. As long as they are caring for them appropriately just leave it at that.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Absolutely there was! Please see my post before this one.
Hm. Please re-read. I said ACT like a child or disabled. I'm sorry, I frequent communities where calling someone "idiotic, disabled, or childish" isn't a personal attack, just a generalized insult. Please don't take everything on the internet personally, this isn't 1994. Also, can @advan or tell me a way to make it so I don't see this thread? It's honestly killing braincells just reading it.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Hm. Please re-read. I said ACT like a child or disabled. I'm sorry, I frequent communities where calling someone "idiotic, disabled, or childish" isn't a personal attack, just a generalized insult. Please don't take everything on the internet personally, this isn't 1994.
Anyone with a shred of decency is going to take that personally. And you're right, it isn't 1994, so grow a bit of that common sense you so freely say that others don't have and realize how offensive that has become.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Hm. Please re-read. I said ACT like a child or disabled. I'm sorry, I frequent communities where calling someone "idiotic, disabled, or childish" isn't a personal attack, just a generalized insult. Please don't take everything on the internet personally, this isn't 1994. Also, can @advan or tell me a way to make it so I don't see this thread? It's honestly killing braincells just reading it.
Apology accepted. Thank you.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Thank you Tim. The debate will go on and on for ages, and probably there will never be an established proper answer. Those that wish to continue this discussion/debate on this particular thread should be encouraged to do so without insults or mud slinging before one of the mods has to step in and close this thread. They will do so if they feel it is necessary and it's likely bordering on that now.

No idea how I ended up with the personal opinion that debates/discussions should be kept peaceful but there it is. I understand feeling passionately about a subject. I'm spending a lot of time trying to teach my young son that having an opinion and passion is a good thing but having respect for the opinions of others with differing viewpoints is even more important. I would like to see this forum continue as a place of both learning and enjoyment and it will be up to the users here to see that it happens.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Anyone with a shred of decency is going to take that personally. And you're right, it isn't 1994, so grow a bit of that common sense you so freely say that others don't have and realize how offensive that has become.
Hey, I'm not some oversensitive child, I don't need to take things on THE INTERNET personally, as I know THE INTERNET is a place where people have been saying things like this for a very long time. I'm aware that we most likely use very, very different sites, but please, this isn't tumblr, don't take everything as a personal attack and use it as "internet PTSD" and begin ranting about how I should burn on a stick, as that is how this will delve into with your mindset. And with regards to Chris, in early internet days, people took everything personally, and would scream if you called someone dumb. Now, is the cancer fest over, or should I change all of my social media names to Cancer? currently my skype, steam, and facebook are all called Cancer. :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
And with regards to Chris, in early internet days, people took everything personally, and would scream if you called someone dumb.
Oh, i see now. Thank you man. One thing i remember about 1994 is a loser called Cobain making a headshot to himself, but, thanks Lord Jesus Christ, not the Internet.

Here in old word Italia were "free" back then, plague arrived years after. Jesus Christ, the Internet in 1994 :)

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Blame the problems on me, but how many long-term collectors/breeders are left to answer questions? Are you going to step up and field them? By all means, be my guest. Show us what you can do.
Poec, My apologies if you believed I was speaking as if you were the reason anyone has chosen not to frequent the forums. I was arguing that I believe that there is a larger reason people disappear from these forums than topics that could be considered silly or repetitious. Personally I would love to see good scientifically sound discussion as I could learn and share. However, as we are mostly hobbyists this must also be a place to share the fun of the hobby.

As to the toxicity unfortunately I have seen too many people discussing it on other sites to not believe what I have also seen for myself. Be that as it may, notice that I am still here.....only we can change it.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
People who are living their lives with mental and physical challenges aren't the idiots - those who continue to defend using offensive slurs and can't get it through their heads why it is offensive are the idiots. Can you kindly drag yourself into the 21st century and start getting a clue that slurs are no longer acceptable?
And I will call out anyone and everyone using the 'R' word slur - on the internet and in person. I have zero tolerance for that type of behaviour and I am appalled that anyone could even attempt to defend it.
Is that what this forum is all about now? Is that how low this forum has sunk that it's members tolerate those offensive comments being made about people who have mental and physical challenges? Good grief - if that is the case, then the least of your worries is whether or not people give names to their tarantulas!

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Now I have a question that I don't know where to post.
The "upper end" pet shop I was at yesterday has 2 roughly 3 inch "guyana pinktoes", which I know are Avic avics, for 30$ each. They've got them in shoe boxes even though the main t guy admits to knowing better. I can get tall rubber maid for her. Put X vent. in it.
This will be my 2nd T. My 1st is a B. albopilosum juvie who's doing extremely well.
Should I do this? I'm willing to listen. I've already read your opinions here and get them
No humidity or temp gauge
A water dish--I've got a peanut butter lid.
Cork bark. Got some
Substrate is eco earth
Right now the wallyworld container is all I can do $wise. Will get her better one later
Is this okay?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Calm down, folks.
Oh, i see now. Thank you man. One thing i remember about 1994 is a loser called Cobain making a headshot to himself, but, thanks Lord Jesus Christ, not the Internet.

Here in old word Italia were "free" back then, plague arrived years after. Jesus Christ, the Internet in 1994 :)

You guys don't remember back in 1994 when the earth blew up? And we all escaped to this planet on the giant space ark. But the government didn't tell the stupider people because....Ohhhh! Nevermind!

A quatloo to anybody who recognizes where that came from.

Also, again, calm down a bit, folks. Using "retarded" in the derogatory sense IS on bad form, I won't defend that (and I have a very good reason to not do so*), but it's just a word, and bickering over things like that will not produce anything positive.

*No, wise guys, I'M not mentally handicapped. Well, maybe a little. :D But my sister was.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My drama llama is LOVING this thread!!!!
Thought, I see us all beating a horse that's been dead for weeks so it's likely to get shit down eventually.
My poor drama llama will have to graze elsewhere then...

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
Yes, the admins did say that there's a limit to what they'll put up with, and that you and some of your cohorts at the time crossed the line. They directed those individuals to another part of this forum ('The Watering Hole'?).
AWWW, I never GOT to be a "COHORT" before!!!!

Want to know why people leave? Maybe for the same reason I pretty much have... unwelcoming, superior attitudes. I don't think it's because people like to name their pets.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
My drama llama is LOVING this thread!!!!
Thought, I see us all beating a horse that's been dead for weeks so it's likely to get shit down eventually.
My poor drama llama will have to graze elsewhere then...
Best. Typo. Ever.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
The "upper end" pet shop I was at yesterday has 2 roughly 3 inch "guyana pinktoes", which I know are Avic avics, for 30$ each. They've got them in shoe boxes even though the main t guy admits to knowing better. I can get tall rubber maid for her. Put X vent. in it.
This will be my 2nd T. My 1st is a B. albopilosum juvie who's doing extremely well.
Should I do this? I'm willing to listen. I've already read your opinions here and get them
Cork bark. Got some
Substrate is eco earth
Right now the wallyworld container is all I can do $wise. Will get her better one later
Is this okay?
uh, what? just make a new thread in "tarantula chat". real easy. will save alot of annoyance on this train wreck of a thread.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Cork bark. Got some
Substrate is eco earth
Is this okay?
I have seen avics in smaller enclosures. While you couldn't wait forever to rehouse them into a more vertical home - it would probably be okay for a short while at that size. I don't know what a wallyworld container is, so I can't judge if it is appropriate.
They are considered a good species for beginners because they are more forgiving than some of the other arboreals. And at 3" they are bigger than the far more sensitive spiderlings.

Status
Not open for further replies.