What do you feed your feeders?

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Out of curiosity, what do you all feed your cricks/worms/roaches/etc. that you give to your Ts? Are certain things better? Are certain things completely off limits? Should I not feed superworms chocolate-covered marshmellow easter eggs? LoL

Also, where do you stand on the Easy Water/Cricket Quencher stuff? Ever give it directly to your Ts?

N.

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Hey,
Usually i will feed my feeders potatoes or fruit and vegetables. But this question has come up alot of times, i would do a search and you can find other threads like this one!

James

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, I did search for similar. However, other than 300 people ranting about chicken feed (LoL), I didn't find what I was looking for.

N.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hehe, I remember the chickenfeed rants :)

Me, I use whatever vegetableish is in the fridge. Capsicum, tomato, carrot, lettuce mostly.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
.....Also, where do you stand on the Easy Water/Cricket Quencher stuff? Ever give it directly to your Ts?..........

That stuff is great for crickets, you do not have to worry about
all of them commiting suicide ( cricket-icide) in a water dish:eek:

I have never given it to my T's though, wonder if we can? :?
Maybe someone else can help with that.
As far as "feeding feeders," I give them whatever is in the fridge,
veggies and fruits, potato works good too. Crickets seem to enjoy oat meal flakes, and it makes them nice and fat :}

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by sunnymarcie
.....Also, where do you stand on the Easy Water/Cricket Quencher stuff? Ever give it directly to your Ts?..........

That stuff is great for crickets, you do not have to worry about
all of them commiting suicide ( cricket-icide) in a water dish:eek:

I have never given it to my T's though, wonder if we can? :?
Maybe someone else can help with that.
As far as "feeding feeders," I give them whatever is in the fridge,
veggies and fruits, potato works good too. Crickets seem to enjoy oat meal flakes, and it makes them nice and fat :}
I use the cricket water that I buy in bulk (it is non-hydrated, just add water as needed) for crickets, roach colonies and small scorpions, never have used it for t's or other assorted inverts. IMHO plain tap water is fine for the t's, adult and juv scorpions, amblypigids, vinegaroons, etc., etc. I do use bottled water for my frogs though.
a link to purchase bulk non-hydrated cricket water (aka water polymer, aka polyacrylamide copolymer):
www.watersorb.com
order the large craft size, it is sifted more and you get less powder than the other sizes
food for my feeders is:
silkworms-fresh mulberry leaves (the only thing they eat)
crickets-cheap fish food, dog food, any leftover veggies and fruits
roaches-same food as crickets get
wax worms-I feed these out as soon as I get them, no food is offered to them
rats-I used to use rodent lab blocks but it is a pain to find so I compared dog food labels to the lab block label and I buy the dog food that is the closest in fat, protien, etc. to lab block food.

Ed

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I feed my crickets a mix of dry cat food, powdered milk and calcium suppliment. Plus, the occasional potato or carrot.

Cheers,
Dave

Action Jackson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mine are on an exclusive potato diet. It gives them food, moisture AND it's easy to clean up. Tell that to a leaf of lettace.

Right now, though, my only adult is preparing to molt, so the crickets are currently in the freezer awaiting hungry spiderlings.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just started keeping crickets on hand and feeding them. I have been using a mix of JurassiDiet for crickets, powdered dog biscuits(NutroMax Senior, Healthy Essentials Beef) and powdered barley grass/ Spirulina supplement. I have the supplements and dog biscuits because I have a dog so its not like I got them just for my crickets. I use flukers water bites. I was wondering if the water bites could be used for small slings as a water source?

Baphomet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here is what I feed my feeders:

Crickets: Cricket Total Bites

Mealworms: Red Barley & vegetable scraps

Wingless fruit flies: Citrus fruit

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by nocturnalpulsem
Out of curiosity, what do you all feed your cricks/worms/roaches/etc. that you give to your Ts? Are certain things better? Are certain things completely off limits? Should I not feed superworms chocolate-covered marshmellow easter eggs? LoL

Also, where do you stand on the Easy Water/Cricket Quencher stuff? Ever give it directly to your Ts?

N.
I feed my crickets Armstrong's Cricket Chow and give them liquid water from a shallow dish with a large sponge so there is no cricket mortality. Armstrong crickets has different watering systems, housing containers, and foods.

Check out the link below:
www.armstrongcricket.com/food.htm

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I feed my crix potatoes and oranges.

For water, I rip open a "pampers", fill it with water and toss it in.

:D :D NOT! :D :D

Newbies... don't believe me!!! I just keep a fresh orange in there and they usually get enough liquid from that. (I only keep about 25 at a time!!)

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Nothing! I only buy enough to feed at once. I hate friggin crickets.

Bill

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I feed my crickets the cricket gel thats yellow. This is the calcium kind for srong and health animals. and possibly a potatoe.............

SoCalKyle

Arachnopeon
I throw just about anything into the cricket tank. Usually leftover food that i couldnt eat. Sometimes pizza crust sometimes those little cheezy goldfish. They eat pretty much anything even each other!

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I read somewhere feeding feeders things with citrus isn't good for the spider, but who knows i could be wrong, but i believe i read that before, but if you've been doing it, and you things are still alive, i guess it's ok. I just give them water, because i only get a weeks worth of food for my T's i go get crickets once a week, or soemtimes once every 2 weeks. Maybe i should feed them, it would stop them from eating each other, haha. I used to feed crickets fish food, but it got moldy really fast, pretty much over night, so that wasn't good, so dont use fish food unless you have alot of ventilation.
Mike

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Re: Re: What do you feed your feeders?

Originally posted by Professor T
liquid water from a shallow dish with a large sponge so there is no cricket mortality.
Do you change your sponges daily? Because otherwise what you have there is a breeding ground for bacteria and other nasties.

Cheers,
Dave