What do to......

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a sick Haplopelma lividum adult female...... her fangs are stuck she shows no defensive threat positions. She was bread with a male not to long ago and its been down hill since.
I am stuck debating,
1) Wait it out
2) Freeze her.

Shes isolated from the rest of the Ts. She is WC so it could be anything really. As you can tell from the pics. She does not move fast and walked right on my hand with no threats or speedy movements. :( What would you do?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A female I had awhile back, did the exact same thing. I had her for about 6 months till she tried to molt and died. I don't know if she was stuck in it or didn't have the power to finish it. I say wait it out awhile longer and see what happens. Good luck though man!

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wait it out... i think it deserves a few more days to live. dont you? :(

pinktoe23

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How long has it been since you noticed her fangs were stucked talkenlate?

I agree to wait more before euthanizing her. I'd let nature decide and take its own course but hope she pulls through instead.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well its been about 3 weeks. She molted 7 weeks ago or so, and has refused food ever since. Thats not that long however she is showing no signs of any kind of defensive posture. With these girls thats not a good thing. Ill wait it out shes isolated from the rest now. I hope she snaps out of it.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh ya I forgot to ask in my last post, how exactly are her fangs stuck? THe one I had, had one fang hanging a few milimeters from the other one, and they never moved. It rarely, if ever ate.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I had one with the hanging fang, I had to freeze her in the end.
This one I can stick my hand in there and she just slaps lazly at my hand with the tips of her legs never bares fangs. You offer her food she does nothing but push it away from her with the tips of her legs. And she keeps her palps tucked under her at all times like she is feeding on something. I dont see any signs of parasites, so I will just have to wait I guess.

My other female is a beast she strikes at anything that moves and is faster then the speed of sound. They are night and day those two.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hm, pedipalps kept under her and fangs stuck sounds like nematode symptoms... could also be a couple of other things though. hoiwever, i'd wait and keep her seperated from other ts.

also wash, and if at all possible disinfect, your hands every time you do something in her tank or touch her. humans can transfer nematodes from one t to another!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
also wash, and if at all possible disinfect, your hands every time you do something in her tank or touch her. humans can transfer nematodes from one t to another!
Oh crap really...... I had no idea, well wonderful. Learn something new every day.

So wait how long can nematodes live off of something thats alive?

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i don't really know, sorry.

is there a white substance at her mouth/between her fangs? if yes, get some and use a magnifying glass and a dark background. nematodes appear as hair-thin and very small worms (for lack of a better word).

if there is no white substance, it's either not nematodes or the infection is not yet really bad. in the latter case, there might be nothing you can do for the lividum (nematodes are usually fatal, there is no treatment) - but at least it is less likely that you have been transferring nematodes to your other ts.

btw - no matter what afflicts a t (with the possible exception of old age, but you can never be sure), you should always isolate sick individuals and disinfect everything - tools and hands - before using them on any other t. also, uneaten prey items should under no circumstances be put back in the colony/communal prey kk or fed to another t. crix are great desease carriers!