What do tarantulas mean to you, and how did you get to the hobby?

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Every time I would go to a local zoo as a kid, I loved seeing the bugs and spiders. So in 2005, two years after I graduated high school, I decided to get a T! My first was an adult female WC Eucratoscelus pachypus aka Stoutleg Baboon. It became a pet hole within days. It unfortunately died not too long after, so I ended up with about 15 more.

Over the years I have been in and out of being serious in the hobby, at one point I was down to only 2. Now I have 8, 3 adults and 5 slings, and I am comfortable with this for now.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I used to be scared of most bugs, and I only found out about tarantulas once I had overcome that fear. It was centipedes that helped me do that. Check out the story I posted earlier here. The Scolopendra morsitans I mention in the story sadly passed away a few weeks ago after a good 6 years in my ownership (and was already adult when I bought it, so I imagine it would be over 10 years old).
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/ce...t-came-to-a-happy-ending.290396/#post-2577178

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Short story is that I got into this hobby because I was scared of them. It was at the level of irrational, and I chose to get over it. I bought my G. porteri on impulse, and the rest is history.

As for what they mean, they're a collection. In my mind they're exactly the same as a collection of records or plants. I enjoy them from a purely selfish view - different colors, dispositions, rarities, and lifestyles. Yes, I understand that they're a living creature and should be respected. I assure you that my spiders are respected to the extent that I got over yet another phobia of roaches. But to me, I simply enjoy the collection side of it. Simply having a few for fun isn't worth it.

They're fun and keep the hands busy. Idle hands are the Devil's workshop, on and on.

Ondottr

Arachnopeon
I was a weird bug kid too haha. I've always especially loved spiders. My family knew I'd get really upset if they killed one that came into the house, so I elected myself "Spider Patrol" and made them call me if they saw one so I could pick it up and let it go outside (after playing with it a bit, of course!) Even as a teen, I liked cleaning up the garage because I got to play with the big old spiders that lived in there. I liked letting them walk on my hands. I thought they were so gentle and graceful. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that so many people find them disgusting.
I went through a short phase of being afraid of Ts after accidentally watching Kingdom of the Spiders on TV one night when I was maybe 7. :rofl: But my dad told me that to get over my fear, I should research them and learn everything I can. So I did a report on "Goliath Bird Eaters" for school, and thought they were absolutely amazing. I wanted a tarantula since then. It was always at the back of my mind like 'hm... it would be awesome to have a tarantula...' 20 years later, I mention it to my bf and he made me realize how totally doable it is to keep one. Then boom.
Just got my first one, easy hardy little G. rosea.
I adore the little thing! I'll probably name it at some point, but for now I just call it Buddy. I definitely think of it as a pet. I just love to watch it do its thing. It's relaxing to me. And I love that it doesn't need any affection from me - just a decent box to live in and a cricket every now and then.
I dunno if I have the time, space, or commitment to collect a ton of Ts, but I like the idea of keeping a few more and working through my "wishlist" bit by bit.

Cordialis

Arachnopeon
So I was, like most kids, into bugs in an early age. That included spiders, but over here we don't have that many wild spiders to choose from. At least not that we encounter without actively searching for them. Come age 6 I started to develop arachnophobia. I'm guessing it was transferred down to me by my mom, unintentionally of course. From that point on, up until three years ago, I suffered from arachnophobia and couldn't be in the same room as a spider.

Three years ago I got tired of fearing for my life each time an itsy bitsy eight legged creature made an appearance, so I started learning about them. Step by step as my knowledge of them grew, so did my fascination with them. All of a sudden, there I was with an (at the time Avicularia) C. versicolor sling in my home and it was the cutest little being! I kept it for a little more than a year before I lost it due to a bad molt. I cried like crazy and when I was done crying, I went to the T store where I got the little critter and got myself two new ones. After that I started visiting expos every once in a while and three years later I'm now the very proud owner of 15 T's. They mean the world to me! I talk to them as though they were cats, even though I know their ganglia don't have room for such luxuries as feelings toward other beings and such. I cry if I lose any of them and I'm so glad I managed to rid myself of that horrible arachnophobia, or I would've missed out on these amazing beings!

I talk quite a bit about my T's to anyone who wants to hear... :angelic:

Kelly Fornez

Arachnopeon
I have always had a deep love for insects and bugs, I especially loved spiders! As a kid living in CT you don't really see a huge diversity of insects especially living in the city. Once a year I'd go to Puerto Rico where I'd get to explore the rainforest floor for creepy crawlers until my legs were swollen from mosquitoes and ants and I absolutely loved it! I didn't get my 1st tarantula until 2 years after I graduated high school. I got a lot of heat on arachnoboards for starting off with a P. Irminia and a T. Stirmi but I've still yet to ever be bit. I don't handle any of my tarantulas and the ways I tend to enjoy the hobby are collecting tarantulas on the classic or rarer side of the hobby. I keep mostly new worlds now and only keep a few select old worlds. I've learned I enjoy the new worlds more!

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have always had a deep love for insects and bugs, I especially loved spiders! As a kid living in CT you don't really see a huge diversity of insects especially living in the city. Once a year I'd go to Puerto Rico where I'd get to explore the rainforest floor for creepy crawlers until my legs were swollen from mosquitoes and ants and I absolutely loved it! I didn't get my 1st tarantula until 2 years after I graduated high school. I got a lot of heat on arachnoboards for starting off with a P. Irminia and a T. Stirmi but I've still yet to ever be bit. I don't handle any of my tarantulas and the ways I tend to enjoy the hobby are collecting tarantulas on the classic or rarer side of the hobby. I keep mostly new worlds now and only keep a few select old worlds. I've learned I enjoy the new worlds more!
well, i cant resist, im pretty sure that if you got flack for starting off with t stirmi, it wasnt because the t stirmi could bite you, its because of the husbandry issues that those tarantulas tend to have, that one 'should' be experienced before taking care of.

AshS

Arachnosquire
My Father Died not long after my first birthday, but he used to have a G. Porteri called Charlotte. My mum kept her for a few years after, and one of my earliest memories, when I was three I think, is watching my mum try and feed Charlotte. I remember being lifted up so I could see the spider catch her crickets. problem was my mum hates spiders and she eventually gave Charlotte away. however I was hooked.
All through my childhood I kept creepy crawlies of all kinds and used to catch as many spiders as I could keeping them in jam jars. I used to catch butterflies and feed them to the spiders in the garden, much to my grandmothers horror. I have always been fascinated by Spiders, even now when I'm asked "why do you keep Tarantulas?" I can't really answer the question. I just love to watch them, the way they move, the way they eat, their biology, everything about them.
whats more, My 3 year old son is also fascinated by them, so its something we bond over and enjoy doing together. he likes to help me make the enclosures and watches me feed our T's.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I never really cared much for spiders growing up.i was obsessed with snakes however and kept multiple little WC Garters over the years. I remember being bit by a large wolf spider wheni was about 6 and running inside and crying for a bit. I would probably be arachnophobic today if I didn't get into tarantulas. I got my first at 9 after a couple hours of research online and pet store help. A AF G porteri.
I got my first because I had never seen a tarantula before and after seeing my first I was hooked. My mom wasn't thrilled but my father encouraged me, so thanks dad. I never knew where to get more and for years my only additions were what I could find at the pet store.
My tarantulas are a hobby that interests me. I liked showing off my first and feeding time. I also really like the collecting aspect of tarantulas and enjoy picking up my favorites. I enjoy their behaviour and how their instincts tell them to change their cage to their needs.
It's cool to see how other members got into the hobby, nice idea for a thread.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Thought Ts might assist with my arachnophobia -- it didn't -- but I still adore my Ts. I still view other spiders with some trepidation but even that has improved with catch cupping wild spiders and releasing outside.
The Ts are just a joy for me. I enjoy seeing them bulldoze and build, love seeing a fresh new/bright T after a moult, and enjoy being the one to feed and care for them. They make me feel good just having them in my home. :)

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I've always been the animal guy, I've been fascinated by living creatures as long as I can remember. As a kid I loved reptiles and distinctly recall catching a huge garter snake at my dad's cottage, I was bitten several times and musked on, but I was happy as could be and in awe of the beautiful creature I had caught, this was one of many incidents.

My father was astonished to see my resilience and fascination around them, he was proud and noticed my ability of capturing them and fearless nature, he nicknamed me croc hunter.

After reptiles Ts were my first true obsession, nothing ever topped it. There was so much to learn and discover it was overwhelming. Sadly spiders were one of the few things people could relate to, I was always fascinated by them and it was hard for others to understand that.

Eventually I stopped caring or trying to convince others why I kept them in such numbers. After many feeding sessions alongside my elder brother I've since introduced him to the hobby, it's awesome that he now shares my fascination. He's since bought many Ts and contributed to an immeasurable collection that we look forward to viewing every single day.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I'd say my rooted fascination with biology started at around age 7. Our second grade teacher went on maternity leave, and we had a substitute for about 3/4 of that year. Her name was Mrs. Buys. She was the real-life Ms. Frizzle (from Magic School Bus, for those of you who know)! First thing she did was show up with a bunch of old jars and a fish tank, and told us to go outside and find some bugs! Our collection on the side of the room grew and grew as more kids were bringing more jars and filling them with more animals, even lizards and such. We'd care for them and learn about them. It became my favorite pastime to flip rocks over to see the fascinating world beneath. My dad would yell at me for rolling neatly-placed rocks all over the garden:angelic: Needless to say, this was a VERY effective teaching philosophy. Spark the curiosity, and the learning becomes automatic!

Anyways, this experience was following a not-so-great 1st grade experience. In 1st grade, I was forced to stay inside during recess and lunch to finish math homework. I was slow, and they pushed me to finish. So I had a pretty bad time with that. Of course, in 3rd grade, my teacher would always pick on me. She thought it was cute to call me "Calvin Klein" (just because my name is Calvin), and I absolutely hated it because it brought the attention on me in a way where I felt ridiculed for having a unique name. I was already a non-catholic in a catholic school, so I already had enough trouble trying to blend in and not get bullied.

Well, when we grow up, it is often the best times of our early years that stick with us. For me, the only positive experience I had was catching critters. So it stuck! Of course, my interests have shifted into the marine biology world. There's a long story about that, too! But I guess my interests in Ts and scorpions are simply remnants of those early years, and my love affair with critters. I've also kept various reptiles over the years, and still have one who takes up half my apartment:dead:

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Like many previous posters I kept a lot of exotic pets growing up.

Watching them relaxes me- this is a big one for me. I think spiders are good luck to have in the house.

I also like that there is always something new/interesting etc to read about them. I love to read, nice to combine my interests.

Cordialis

Arachnopeon
I have always been fascinated by Spiders, even now when I'm asked "why do you keep Tarantulas?" I can't really answer the question. I just love to watch them, the way they move, the way they eat, their biology, everything about them.
I get that question a lot too: "Why do you keep tarantulas?". It's a good thing that people are curious about it because it gives me a little space to talk about them and educate them with the small amount of knowledge I have (which is most often a vast knowledge in comparison to theirs). I still find it kinda funny, even though I understand the question stemming from tarantulas not being the most commonly kept pet, but still. Nobody asks anyone "Why do you have cats/dogs/random other fluffy animal?". I guess the obvious answer to the latter would be that you can cuddle with them and that they're (or at least can be) affectionate. But I think it all boils down to the answer "Because I like them and/or are fascinated with them" no matter what kind of animal you keep, presuming you keep your animals for the right reasons and not as some kind of fashion statement, symbol of your courage or any other reason that has more to do with trying to affect the way others perceive you rather than doing what you actually enjoy and makes you feel good. Sorry for the rant, I've just been overthinking the phrase "Why do you keep tarantulas?"... :angelic:

Leila

Arachnobaron
As small children, my brother, Zach (who is less than two years my junior,) and I were continuously exploring outdoors. We grew up in a rural town, so there was always an abundance of countryside to entertain our curious minds for indefinite lengths of time. If Zach and I happened upon any dead bugs, we would bury them under our pine tree (our 'fortress') and mark their graves with small, plucked wild flowers. There is no telling how many bugs we buried there over the summers.

I retained that same fascination and curiosity throughout my childhood and into my adulthood, although the spark had dulled a bit up until less than a year ago.

I'd always been wary of spiders. But one day last summer, my friend, Josh, was chatting with me on my patio, and a tiny spider crawled onto his arm. He nonchalantly coaxed it onto his hand and gestured for me to hold it. That was the day I realized how irrational my distrust of spiders had always been.

A few months following that day, I purchased my first tarantula and acquired several more soon after. What do they mean to me? Well, I love them just as I love my cat. It does not matter that they are incapable of reciprocating that love; I respect them for what they are, and I adore them even more for it.

Last edited:

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As small children, my brother, Zach (who is less than two years my junior,) and I were continuously exploring outdoors. We grew up in a rural town, so there was always an abundance of countryside to entertain our curious minds for indefinite lengths of time. If Zach and I happened upon any dead bugs, we would bury them under our pine tree (our 'fortress') and mark their graves with small, plucked wild flowers. There is no telling how many bugs we buried there over the summers.

I retained that same fascination and curiosity throughout my childhood and into my adulthood, although the spark had dulled a bit up until less than a year ago.

I'd always been wary of spiders. But one day last summer, my friend, Josh, was chatting with me on my patio, and a tiny spider crawled onto his arm. He nonchalantly coaxed it onto his hand and gestured for me to hold it. That was the day I realized how irrational my distrust of spiders had always been.

A few months following that day, I purchased my first tarantula and acquired several more soon after. What do they mean to me? Well, I love them just as I love my cat. It does not matter that they are incapable of reciprocating that love; I respect them for what they are, and I adore them even more for it.
Just had to pull out that writing didnt you

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
I bought my first tarantula at a petco on a whim when I was 17 and I honestly knew nothing about them at the time. It was the first time I saw a tarantula in person and I became absolutely fascinated by it and bought it immediately, which today I would not recommend to anyone new because I did not do any research before the purchase. He was a G. porteri and turned out to be MM I ended up selling him to a mutual friend at the time who said he would breed him and never heard from him again.

Today I have a small collection of 8 different species. I can only describe the pleasure of owning them being similar to a zen garden. I always have a water dish to clean. more often than not at least one of them is ready for another feeding. I am always expecting one to molt relatively soon. This hobby always gives me something to look forward to no matter what else is going on in my life.

I like this thread and I'm glad I had the opportunity to share these thoughts!

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
In my junior year of college, I found a caterpillar in a bouquet and decided to raise it in a plastic container rather than cast it outside into the harsh Boston winter. It eventually became a plain-looking moth and I released it on a nice day. Though I am still not fond of moths, the experience was a lot more fun than I would have expected. That, perhaps, was the turning point.

Around the same time, I started reading about tarantulas, which seemed a suitable pet for a dorm room. Unfortunately, my roommate at the time was deathly afraid of all bugs so I shelved the idea.

Fast forward. A few months into my new job in Arizona, my manager and I scooped a large Aphonopelma chalcodes off the sidewalk outside of our workplace and into a plastic baggie. That very day during lunch break, he drove us to Petsmart and we picked up a tank and crickets. And that was how I ended up keeping a tarantula for several months at my work desk.

So, as for how I started keeping tarantulas, I blame my manager for being such a cool guy. As for why I continue to keep them, well, I came to adore the large, hairy, eight legged-creature who kept me company at my desk, whose quirks and behaviors were so strange yet so interesting, and who was my gateway to learning about all the amazing local fauna in Arizona.

Now I have ten arachnids.

:)

Daesu

Arachnopeon
I started watching tarantula addict feeding vids on YouTube late at night out of morbid curiosity and it got to a point where I actually enjoyed them.
Started jokingly mentioning to the gf about getting a T over several months. For my birthday this year she surprised me with everything thing I needed except the spider, went out that day and bought Ragnar my curly hair. Just over 2 months later and I have 6 tarantulas!
I just find them fascinating for so many reasons.