Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

What bromeliad?

Discussion in 'Live Plants' started by Arachnomaniac19, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Arachnomaniac19

Arachnomaniac19 Arachnolord

Advertisement
    Does anyone know what bromeliad this is? I'm looking to use it for a dart frog tank. On the same note, what frog should I get?

Attached Files:

2. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoprince Active Member

That's Guzmania lingulata, an epiphyte from tropical South and central American rainforests. It ought to be perfect for a dart frog tank, since it's from an identical habitat. I would imagine it would even be good for some species to lay eggs in.

If you haven't already, you should ask your dart frog question in the vertebrate subforum (not so spineless wonders). You'll be more likely to get answers. However, may I suggest saying what you're looking for? That would make it easier to give suggestions.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  3. Arachnomaniac19

Arachnomaniac19 Arachnolord

Sweet, thank you! The dart frog question was just a side question just to see what people recomend. I'm looking for something relatively cheap and easy to breed. I was thinking Oophaga pumilio or a Ranitomeya sp.. I'm really just looking for any suggestions. I already have a Mantella aurantiaca and a Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella.'

4. Hamburglar

Hamburglar Arachnobaron Old Timer

I kept dart frogs for a number of years. Pumilios are a great choice. However, if you want more than a trio Ranitomeya might be better. They will make the most of the axils once they fill with water. Just watch out for scale. Once it's in the tank it's nearly impossible to eliminate.

5. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

I changed my rating from Informative to Award. Reminded me of a curate, John V, at an LA County Arboretum leading a group through their huge bromeliad and epiphyte collection, casually spot on IDing hundreds of plants in both Latin and common.

• Love Love x 1
  6. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoprince Active Member

:shame: Naw I'm not nearly that impressive. I just looked it up and felt confident with the results.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.