What are y’all’s set ups?

nervousspider

Arachnopeon
Hello photography friends! I’ve been doing macro photography for roughly a year now, first with a clip on lens for my phone, and then later I got my first and only camera. It’s a canon S5 IS with a Raynox DCR-250, and for lighting I have a hand-me-down flash (can’t remember the model, not home right now) as well as a cheap pop up diffuser that attaches to the front of the camera from Amazon.

My question here is, what set ups do you all use? I’m looking to get some new lens to mess around with, or possibly even a new camera! I would love to see some of your photos too if you don’t mind sharing :)

here are some of the pictures I’ve taken, if anyone has any constructive criticism or advice on how to improve I would really appreciate it!

Attachments

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
I use a Nikon D3200 with film SLR lenses and a macro bellows. For light I've used the pop-up flash with a paper towel for a diffuser, an off-camera speedlight and an LED worklight. I recently acquired some studio strobes but haven't gotten to use them much yet.
This recluse was with the camera's pop-up flash and an off-camera cheap speed light from Walmart with a built-in optical trigger, both with paper towels as diffusers:

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I’m using a Nikon d7500 and a Laowa 25mm 2.5x-5x lens. It's a great lens if you want to get closer than most macro lenses, but it is fully manual. I don’t remember what flash im using but i have 2 remote flashes that are held on little arms to the left and right if the camera, with diffusers on the end. It looks crazy but I love the lighting it makes, the flash however doesn’t fire every time and results in a lot of missed shots :/
Here’s a little oribatid mite taken with the setup 1E779100-ECFD-424C-9767-7DA1CF3A2164.jpeg

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I love Bridge Cams for good and easy macros, so I use an old Nikon P80 and also a P520. I also use a Raynox DCR-250 if needed...

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Yes, just the Macro function of the cam. The pic above is made without the raynox lense..

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nikon D7100, Nikon Micro-Nikkor 40mm F/2.8 / Tamron SP 90mm F/2.8 Di, Godox TT600, AK Diffuser, Raynox DCR-250 (sometimes).

20230410_013419.jpg 20230410_013428.jpg

deathstalker.jpg

nervousspider

Arachnopeon
This is really awesome!! I think this is the type of shots I'd like to take. Was this one taken using the raynox or the Nikon Micro-Nikkor?

Craig

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have so many macro lenses etc but the one I reach for the most is my Olympus point and shoot. It is the TG-6. It has in camera focus stacking. The camera really takes a beating too. I had the TG-5 before that.

For the convenience it's great. When I don't feel like taking out a lens, light(s), and camera it is definately helpful.

These are shots I have taken with the camera. For some perspective that T.riveri was a 2i at the time.

Due to the small sensor size, and other factors fully cropped photos will never look as good as photos from a dedicated macro lens and camera.

For the H.hottentotta I can post some pics I took with an actual macro lens for comparison. The detail is far superior. Zoom in on Richard's photo vs mine and look at the detail difference. On his the detail is amazing, then zoom in on mine and you can see the fine detail fall off. Something to keep in mind if you are looking for a setup. An actual camera and macro lenses will always be better.

Attachments

Last edited: