what are some communal Ts?

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i want to have a communal T setup.what species would this work with?i have read that OBTs are.is this true?

KidChromatus

Arachnopeon
There are T's that are communal until a certain point. At some point the T's will begin to defend "their" territory. I would not recommend this.:embarrassed:

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
If you want truly communal, your best bet would be to go with Holothele incei. There are some members here keeping OBT communals etc with success, but as far as a truly communal species, it would be H. incei.

I only have 1 OBT, but from what I've read, if you keep them communal you want to do so in an enclosure that does not allow them enough room to set up their own territories.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
T R E A T E D!

On a more serious note. The following can be kept communally:
h. incei
heterothele sp.
pamphobeteus sp. "chicken spider"

And a few from the poecilotheria genus can be kept together as well. Many people say they are just tolerant to one another though and not a true communal sp.
p. regalis
p. pederseni
p. rufilata
p. fasciata
p. formosa
p. miranda
p. subfusca

Not sure about smithi, metallica, tigrinawesseli, ornata or striata. I've heard rumors that they can be kept together but I've also heard horror stories that didn't go so well. :( I'm sure there are some communal sp. that I'm missing but that list is just off the top of my head. Almost forgot to add m. balfouri to the list!

Last edited:

maitre

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a communal of 3 formosa and another of 3 rufilata. Both are very successful and they all share hides, huddle together, etc. etc. However, I do plan to pull out the males when they mature - I hear that is when problems begin in pokie communals. Oh, I also keep them well fed. Not overfed.. but I make sure they all get a chance at food, ie. 3 T's, 4-5 prey items. Each T gets at least one. Oh, the prey items would be smaller than usual to account for the T's that catch 2 of them.

I recently tried a H. incei communal of 3 but one of them ended up getting munched within 2 or 3 days - even though there was half a pre-killed cricket available at all times. The last 2 were then separated. There goes the H.incei-as-best-communal-species for me :p jk. I know next time I'll start a H. incei communal with 10-20 individuals.. prob have better success that way.

Remember that just because some species are more SUITABLE to be house communally, it doesn't mean it will be 100% successful. On a long enough timeline, if you keep enough communals, you WILL have deaths and it is something you have to be willing to accept. If you're tight on cash and can't afford to 'lose' a T due to cannibalism, don't try to keep a communal. If you can afford multiple T's of the same species and can afford to lose one or more, then I think keeping a communal is one of the most rewarding aspects of tarantula husbandry! My T's kept individually are cool but they are nothing compared to my pokie communals. My pokies huddle together, walk around with each other, climb all over each other, etc. etc. etc.

The most nerve wracking part of communals is the initial introduction. For the first few weeks, keep a CLOSE eye on the groups. Watch for any aggressive behavior (threat postures, chasing each other away from a hide, etc.) and separate those individuals. When I first introduced the pokies together, pairs would touch feet, dance around each other (they literally went in circles as if they were doing the waltz), and just explore each other before settling down. It was reallllly cool to watch but I was crazy nervous at the same time. As for my H incei, I should have caught onto any aggressive behaviour but I just didn't spot it. I didn't see ANY aggression so I don't blame myself. This stuff just happens and there's not much you can do except separate the rest.

Goodluck!

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
T R E A T E D!

On a more serious note. The following can be kept communally:
h. incei
heterothele sp.
pamphobeteus sp. "chicken spider"

And a few from the poecilotheria genus can be kept together as well. Many people say they are just tolerant to one another though and not a true communal sp.
p. regalis
p. pederseni
p. rufilata
p. fasciata
p. formosa
p. miranda
p. subfusca
*P. metallica*
Not sure about smithi, metallica, tigrinawesseli, ornata or striata. I've heard rumors that they can be kept together but I've also heard horror stories that didn't go so well. :( I'm sure there are some communal sp. that I'm missing but that list is just off the top of my head. Almost forgot to add m. balfouri to the list!
I've seen my dealer have his set up in a communal.... their sizes last january where from1/2" - 1 1/2" now and their about 4".....

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've been thinking of the "communal" idea mentioned in the T section and scorp section. Are there really any "communal" species or is it best to think of individuals as "compatible"?

maitre

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been thinking of the "communal" idea mentioned in the T section and scorp section. Are there really any "communal" species or is it best to think of individuals as "compatible"?
There are several species that are communal by nature. The most popular species kept by hobbyists is probably H. incei. This species is found in the wild sharing burrows, sharing food, and generally just living together.

Other species that are kept in communes are merely tolerant of each others' presence. If you force the T's to live in close quarters where they cannot set up territories, you will have much higher success.