What am I?

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What kind of tarantula is this? I got it at a local petshop that got it from an apartment manager. They said that it came from Carolina Biological Supply (I think) and was labled as brown tarantula. It does have red sattae on its abdomen, and maybe on its legs. Its overall color I think is browinish -- but it might -- MIGHT -- have a slight greenish hue to it -- that could just be my overactive imagination kicking in. The carapace almost has a shiny appearance to it. It is lighter than the rest of the body. Its about 3 inches.

Probably an Aphonopelma?

Pic 1:

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pic 4 (in a mad threat posture):

Last edited:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Definitely an Aphonopelma. Possibly anax or hentzi, or maybe clarki... there's a lot of brown Aphonopelmas. I certainly can't tell them apart visually without having the specimen in front of me, location it was collected, a key, and someone who knows them better than me ;)

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
Definitely an Aphonopelma. Possibly anax or hentzi, or maybe clarki... there's a lot of brown Aphonopelmas. I certainly can't tell them apart visually without having the specimen in front of me, location it was collected, a key, and someone who knows them better than me ;)
I didn't realize that hentzi had the red setae... and I've never seen a clarki. How common are these 2 species? I figured if it was store-bought then it was probably the anax since that seems to be somewhat common.

Now that I look at the original post and location of the poster, I'm not sure at all... I don't think there are tarantulas in the Carolinas but maybe I'm wrong. And Vegas... are there tarantulas in Nevada?

I guess you're right Code, you can't really make an educated guess without knowing where it came from when you're talking about Aphonopelma!

Jon--did they know whether it was wild caught or captive bred? Is there any way that you could find a number or website for the supplier and they could help you out with IDing?

Such a bummer that petstores sell specimens without knowing what species they are selling! "Brown tarantula" narrows it down to about, what, 200 species? ;)

kellygirl

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Carolina Biological is a supplier of biological lab materials for schools and institutions (and hobbyist mad scientists as well). This T is certainly wild caught and they make no effort to identify species. This is the amazingly detailed ad.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
Carolina Biological is a supplier of biological lab materials for schools and institutions (and hobbyist mad scientists as well). This T is certainly wild caught and they make no effort to identify species. This is the amazingly detailed ad.
Oh my goodness! That is absolutely ridiculous. I got a little mad feeling in my chest when I saw that. Thanks for sharing, Code.

kellygirl

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow.
They even know it's Living...
That Is amazing.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Ephesians
Now THIS is rediculous. I wander if stupid people actually support and buy this crap? Enter Poo
The prices are amazingly rediculous. Sand for a G. rosea???? It's sad to think that people actually fall for such nonsense.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, it probably is Aphonopelma anax or hentzi. Hard to say right now. Once it molts, I probably will have a better idea. It is looking rather scruffy right now. One thing that I can say is that the little guy has quite the apetite. I gave it a cricket and a superworm yesterday. I eagerly snached up the superworm that I just gave it a few minutes ago.

I don't know why, but I kind of like the guy. I never thought that I would like an Aphonopelma species, because IMO, they are on the kind of scruffy side. But I have to say that I kind of like him.

Jon

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My favorite thing about that company is the ONE hissing roach for $8.50!!!!!!!