What am I

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Grumpy is an understatement. Think it might have little dog syndrome ya know how they stand there quivering in fear barking endlessly?
I think i am going to contact Dr. Brent Hendrixson and send this little guy off to him. I think he is cool and the coloring is sweet.... however........Research is more important. Seems to be alot of mystery around this little T inquiring minds want to know. I will email the doctor with a newest pic with the quarter in the morning and make arrangments to ship if he wants it.
I will post a new thread with the ID once it is known
The smaller the Aphonopelma species, the crazier they are. They give some imposing threat displays for their size. Slow crawl, fangs splayed out, abdomen raised. Showing off all their armaments.

Good to hear you're contacting Dr. Hendrixson.

I think you'd be better off just letting him go again.
He's likely on his last legs and the weather isn't as friendly as it was a few weeks ago for tarantulas anymore. Specimens like this are needed for research. The ID is secondary to the data he'll provide. No reason not to send him off.

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
I stand by my original offer... If you'd like me to relieve you of this burden, I can PM you my address.{D

BUT, for the sake of science, I'd send him to Dr. Ralph Charlton of Albequerque, as he's worked extensively for the past 2 decades on these very species... He probably has one of the single greatest understandings, and Mitochondrial DNA work out there on the Aphonopelma Genus, and would probably LOVE to document this little guy.

That is of course if you aren't going to send him to me:razz:...

Arachnopal

Arachnopeon
have contacted Brent. He is hungry for anything from this area. seems i live in the twilight zone here. I feel for this little guy but science is more important. I have been treating him like a pet the last few days. Lots of nice fat juicey crickets. And i caught him drinking from the water dish. As skittish as he is he seems to have calmed a bit.
Its getting to cold now and more than likely will not see any more wild T's until next summer. I will wait until then before i tell the Dr. i find 3 variations of the Arizona Blond T in this area.
Think one of the biggest factors here is that Fort Huachucha owns about 1/3 of the mountain range. It has become a wildlife refuge in a way. Forgotten land for over 100 years now. Its loaded with various T's, Desert Centipides and Scorpions

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Great news Arachnopal,

The work of Dr Hendrixson and others promises to make some huge steps forward towards understanding the diversity of tarantulas in the USA, so its really great to hear you are willing to send this to him/collaborators. Right now they have the setup and funding to make great strides forward, so sending specimens like this (with as much location and collecting data as possible) is a really really valuable thing to do. Its also valuable to tell these researchers what you know about the diversity of tarantulas in your area, as it might bring up new leads for them. If you know several local species or forms, its very helpful to share this information, some or all could be new. Its important for most studies to know when/where different forms exist, so dont wait to tell the researchers what you think/know about variations, telling them now can make a dfference to their research goals/results !!

As you all know, the USA covers a huge area, with many diverse habitats. These researchers alone cannot cover as much ground to densely sample tarantulas from the majority of these areas without local help. So yes, if any of you come across wandering males then its a great idea to hold them while you contact these researchers and find out if they may be valuable additions to ongoing studies !!! If these researchers have plenty enough samples from an area, then of course you may be told they are not an extra help, but if they are from an unsampled or undersampled area then contributing them to ongoing scientific study and improving our knowledge of these amazing creatures is something very very worthwhile for the future.

Please guys/gals, cmon, consider doing something valuable, and making a lasting contribution to tarantula science and helping ongoing projects like those of Dr Hendrixson. Thanks for considering this Arachnopal.

Arachnopal

Arachnopeon
shipping

arrangements have been made this little guy takes a trip to Brent monday morning. also told him i would collect for him next summer. i spend alot of time gold prospecting and exploring all of southern arizona

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
BUT, for the sake of science, I'd send him to Dr. Ralph Charlton of Albequerque, as he's worked extensively for the past 2 decades on these very species... He probably has one of the single greatest understandings, and Mitochondrial DNA work out there on the Aphonopelma Genus, and would probably LOVE to document this little guy.
Ahhh, it's becoming clear now. Your stance against Brent is based off of this? Dr. Charlton? Someone who won't/hasn't helped his Masters student from 2006 finish a manuscript so that they could actually get some Aphonopelma work published in a peer-reviewed forum?

Really? Two decades? Where are his publications?

Chris

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
Ahhh, it's becoming clear now. Your stance against Brent is based off of this? Dr. Charlton? Someone who won't/hasn't helped his Masters student from 2006 finish a manuscript so that they could actually get some Aphonopelma work published in a peer-reviewed forum?

Really? Two decades? Where are his publications?

Chris
I don't have a stance against ANYBODY... If I have ever made an off color comment about ANYONE, I greatly apologize, and if I havn't already deleted any such post, where upon my greater foot was in my mouth, please let me know, and I shall delete it as well...

I stand behind REASON, LOGIC, and SCIENCE, and hope by all means that WHOMEVER ultimately fixes the Aphonopelma mess, that they receive the consideration and congratulaions that would be greatly deserved. It will be nice to see SEVERAL schools coming together, and their representive scholars hopefully collaborating, for decades to come, so that, in the end, there's SOME LEVEL of clarity on the North American Theraphosids.

I think if there were DOZENS, of Dr. Hendrixsons, and Dr. Charltons, then our likelihood, of actually clarifying of the muddied waters, would hopefully be much more of a possibility. A BIG Congratulations is also in order for all of the Graduate Students, (especially THOSE who share their efforts here), that have given their heart and soul to North American Theraphosid research.

Regardless, it is EXTREMELY refreshing, to see, this work done in the first place, and I thank ALL who have contributed.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
there are 2 definite species of dwarf found in the Huachucas, and possibly a 3rd. Here is the female to both species from that area

What people are calling cochisei, adult female

And what people are calling 'huachuca dwarf blone' or whatever, adult female

They both came from the same hillside and both moult out very different looking, the dwarf blonde moulting out very blonde like chalcodes and cochisei very charcoal gray with reddish highlights. They both act very different, the blonde thing being more shy and skittish. cochisei being much more aggressive and confrontational. the 'huachuca blonde dwarf' is overall much smaller than the 'cochisei' and I know she was an adult cause I got a sac from her. But who knows what these things are.... maybe they are the same thing.... lol. Or maybe they're all paloma!!!! mwahhahahahahahahaha!!!!! I cant wait to see what comes of this mess. sheesh!

---------- Post added at 01:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

Oh yeah, hentzi is not found in arizona last time I checked;)

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
I am learning more and more each day about these dwarfs. I cannot thank you guys enough, for the opportunity to learn about these special "Little Ones". Josh, you are the best.