what age.....

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
at what age can u find out the sex of ur T. and is there any signs that r the same thru out all species thanks ppl i forget to ask what Nova was at the pet store but assumed nova was a she ...

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
u can find out at any size if u have n elec microscope. if u dont then u need to prolly wait till ur spider molts. also it needs 2 be 2.5-3 inchs to get a really gud id. u can also use ur i to sex it if u know what 2 look 4.

there is a guide at
www.birdspiders.com/faq_sex.html that is gud.

B

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
so slit is a female, hole is a male ? lol

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
roflmao. no u need 2 read more and

heh, sorry, I can't do it anymore..

Sexing tarantulas seems to be a hobby in itself, at times. The guide by Rick West above is pretty good, but it is a little on the scientific side for alot of people. I'd wholeheartedly recommend you get 'The tarantula keepers guide' by Schultz and Schultz. It should be available in the UK, and it has a pretty basic guide to sexing through exuvium. Once you understand that, you can get into some of the more complex methods of sexing visually. Still, even the people who sex alot of T's visually often say that you can't be sure until you've examined an exuvium (shed exoskeleton)

Bill

P.S. - No offense, but there's no time limit to making a post, so why not type using full words.. alot of people (myself included admittedly) get annoyed by "u" and "r" and "ppl"...

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
roflmao. no u need 2 read more and

Sexing tarantulas seems to be a hobby in itself, at times. The guide by Rick West above is pretty good, but it is a little on the scientific side for alot of people. I'd wholeheartedly recommend you get 'The tarantula keepers guide' by Schultz and Schultz. It should be available in the UK, and it has a pretty basic guide to sexing through exuvium. Once you understand that, you can get into some of the more complex methods of sexing visually. Still, even the people who sex alot of T's visually often say that you can't be sure until you've examined an exuvium (shed exoskeleton)

Bill

P.S. - No offense, but there's no time limit to making a post, so why not type using full words.. alot of people (myself included admittedly) get annoyed by "u" and "r" and "ppl"...
ok thanks

sorry about the net slang thing but its kinda like part of my vocab now lol u should see me trying to type up my CV i kept on using " r" and "ppl" :?

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i sex mine based on behaviour - the moody aggressive ones are female ;)

*not really*

yeah your best bet is probably with a moult... however there is the 'judging of booklung alignment' ill see if i can dig out the website with it on.... however the genic's dont climb the tank walls often and i wouldnt advise pickin it up :p

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto

Thanks Bill... you were driving me crazy with that crap. For a moment I didn't catch on to what you were doing and I thought perhaps you'd been out late drinking or something.

I've got to concur with Bill. Although I'm not real experienced in sexing visually, I've already proven myself wrong twice by trying to sex visually and then checking the molt. Once the T is large enough, sexing by the molt is pretty easy... as long as your T cooperates and doesn't destroy the exuvium.

Botar