What about butterflies

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Has anyone tried feeding a BF to a T?? If so, which ones repel your T's??

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
im sure u could get away with it but if you think about it, butterflies arent very big. Take away the wings and u basically have a small worm that isnt very large at all. unless u can catch swallowtails or something of that nature but its still pointless...

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have a rosehair that eats BFs and moths.. i never really know how they get into the cage though -- i guess theyre growing up in the cage??

but its kinda fun to watch them catch a moth --
i don't think you should exclusively feed BFs or moths -- i would assume there's not too much nut. value there.. but something to supplement!

peace
dave

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Actually, butterflies and moths, are a large source of protein and nutrition, one of the better things you can actually feed an animal...but today i tried feeding one to my A. avic and my E. Pandinus (sp?) scorpion, and both rejected after catching multiple times..I was wondering if they have some sort of built in mechanism that prevents the butterfly from being eatten..such as a odor or taste...just found it strange that both of my pets rejected it..

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i still wouldn't exclusively feed your Ts or Scorps BFs or moths, no matter how good they are ;)

it's all about diversity for my bugs!

but they do get fed moths once in a while.
i know butterflies have a bad taste... i'm not sure about moths though..

peace
dave

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
oh I feed my guys, anole lizards, dragon flies, beetles, moths, crickets, pretty much anything i can get my hands on, that i know is clean...

Action Jackson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I feed my better feeders moths occasionally, if they (the moths) follow me inside and end up in my room. Dave is right, it's a lot of fun to watch a spider take one down. I've never tried butterflies, though... Just doesn't seem like they'd be worth the effort; I know the moths wouldn't be if they were hard to catch.

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Moths are a good food source as long as you know they're pesticide free.Butterflies on the other hand are a different story.Usually with butterflies the more colorful they are,odds are they're no good for T's.Color in butterflies usually indicates a warning to other creatures....the more colorful it is usually means it tastes horrible or is poisonous(monarchs being a good example).The same goes with a lot of insects...color serves as a warning sign......peace..

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Feeding them to the arboreals makes for some exciting viewing for the 'parent' though. Mine can't seem to resist that wing beat motion and will jump quite a ways when they are feeling really energetic to grab them. I kinda hate to do this to butterflies as I have several species dried in display boxes due to their beautiful wing color and pattern. Moths though are missing that other than a few species and their fat little bodies make really good food for Ts.