Wet spinnerets/anus on T. Stirmi

kerplunk

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

So I had a really nice opportunity to keep my first Theraphosa species and I've successfully raised it from L1 to L3 currently (just molted a week ago). I made sure to follow Nightstalker's guide on them --moist (not soggy) sub, lots of ventilation (2 rows of holes on ALL sides), clean water and lots of food. All's been well until I noticed an unusually large wet area on it's abdomen. I took a video to best show it and it's around it's spinnerets and anus and almost looks like it dipped its end in the water dish which is just a plastic bottle cap for now. I checked the dish and there aren't any signs that it even went there as I should've been seeing some dirt in the water. Regarding it's behavior, it's still very very active. Doesn't kick hairs but very skittish and never lethargic or weak. It's still as voracious as ever, fed it 2 lateralis juveniles last night while it's abdomen was wet just to see if it responds normally and it chased both of them down no problem. Eventually, the anal/spinnerets area dried out as it progressed with eating but just this morning, shortly after dropping the bolus in a corner, it started grooming itself. I thought all was well until I came up after breakfast to see the same area extremely wet again!

My thoughts are:

1. I don't feel it's a rupture from a fall either since I made sure to keep the sub-to-roof distance really safe, just enough for it to stand on the walls but not climb high enough.
2. It may be the cleaning fluid that T's rub on themselves BUT this just seems really excessive and I fear that if this point is true, it might be suffering from one of those fatal infections/impaction which is why it's using so much cleaning fluid in this area.

I tried reading around more but haven't found much info on this particular situation. I've seen my other T's do this cleaning of the anus from time to time but not to this level. I'm very worried and would literally beat myself up if end up losing him should this turn out fatal in the long run. It's my first Theraphosa and essentially the most expensive in my very, very modest T collection and I'd really hate to lose him to something I can't understand so any help and opinions would be much appreciated.

Link to video:

Last edited:

kerplunk

Arachnopeon
Just a quick update btw, I caught him rubbing the area and feeding the same leg into his mouth and back again so it seems to be the cleaning fluid they use but what really worries me is how much fluid and attention he's using on the anal area. It's almost like he's trying to get rid of something but having a really hard time.

Demonclaws

Arachnosquire
Can't tell where the 'wet' area is. Seem it kicked lots of hairs and may be molting soon. T. stirmi tend to cover their hide and nearby area with hairs especially before molting.

kerplunk

Arachnopeon
Can't tell where the 'wet' area is. Seem it kicked lots of hairs and may be molting soon. T. stirmi tend to cover their hide and nearby area with hairs especially before molting.
I forgot to add that it just molted a week ago.

It's the really shiny lower half of the abodmen where the spinnerets and anus are. It's a bit hard to make out but it's really wet and I found it was due to cleaning fluid that it repeatedly rubbed over for 3 times now. It dried out earlier but I caught it cleaning it's rear again now and the area around the anus and spinnerets has gone bald from repeated rubbing. This is really starting to worry me ..

kerplunk

Arachnopeon
Update: Saw it grooming itself yet again in the same area using copious amounts of fluid. Definitely looks like it's trying to remove something. I'm still trying to take a decent pic of the anus to see if there is blockage. How is the anus supposed to look like? Is it just a small opening or a small tube that extends slightly above the spinnerets coz that's what it looks like now..

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Tarantulas don’t get “wet” so to speak. They are hydrophobic. If you mist (which I don’t generally recommend) if the water gets on the spider it beads. There are videos of H. gigas swimming, and when they emerge from the water they look bone dry. I’m almost positive that what you are seeing is the new stelae and exoskeleton under the old exoskeleton, and light reflecting off of the old giving the illusion of being wet, very common pre-molt appearance. The grooming you observe is common also, and would also contribute to the spot of which you write. You’re spider looks very healthy, plump abdomen, active. My two cents is, not to worry, just tarantula life.

kerplunk

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas don’t get “wet” so to speak. They are hydrophobic. If you mist (which I don’t generally recommend) if the water gets on the spider it beads. There are videos of H. gigas swimming, and when they emerge from the water they look bone dry. I’m almost positive that what you are seeing is the new stelae and exoskeleton under the old exoskeleton, and light reflecting off of the old giving the illusion of being wet, very common pre-molt appearance. The grooming you observe is common also, and would also contribute to the spot of which you write. You’re spider looks very healthy, plump abdomen, active. My two cents is, not to worry, just tarantula life.
Thank you for the reassurance. But I want to assure you his bottom was indeed "wet", not with water but with the cleaning fluids they groom themselves with. I totally understand the shiny pre-molt look but he just came from a molt last week and the baldness was caused by repeated rubbing. The area was covered with setae prior to this.. I caught him for the 4th time doing the same thing; reaching in his mouth with his hind legs and swabbing over the anus and spinnerets, coating them with the cleaning fluid. What alarms me is the number of times he's been concentrating on it and I've never observed any of my T's doing the same so obsessively and with so much fluid. In fact, all of them groom themselves and look bone dry whereas my Stirmi is practically "bathing" his bottom with cleaning fluid. I've did some extended reading and some keepers who lost T's to impaction all had those T's do the same things; frequent grooming in that area and coating it with fluid.

I really appreciate the response and insight. One question though, how is the anus supposed to look like? Is it like a short tube that protrudes near the spinnerets or is it a barely visible opening?

kerplunk

Arachnopeon
I've attached some photos with the problematic area. I really want to know if this is how the anus is supposed to look like (encircled in green). I've attached both copies of photos in case the circle gets in the way.

Annotation 2019-11-13 0632191.png Annotation 2019-11-13 0632591.png Annotation 2019-11-13 063219.png Annotation 2019-11-13 063219.png

Attachments

kerplunk

Arachnopeon
He's not looking too good now.. I've been keeping the water dish fresh and gently swabbing the anus with warm water every time I saw some remaining feces to hopefully prevent buildup and any more blockage if any. He also ate normally. Over the days there are various feces around the enclosure which I thought was a good sign but he has gotten very lethargic and weak last night.. Stress curled in one spot and randomly moving to a different spot and going back to it's stress curl.. He is really exhibiting all the symptoms Tom Moran described in his article about his T's that suffered impaction. I can honestly say I'm already preparing myself for a very difficult goodbye.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
He's not looking too good now.. I've been keeping the water dish fresh and gently swabbing the anus with warm water every time I saw some remaining feces to hopefully prevent buildup and any more blockage if any. He also ate normally. Over the days there are various feces around the enclosure which I thought was a good sign but he has gotten very lethargic and weak last night.. Stress curled in one spot and randomly moving to a different spot and going back to it's stress curl.. He is really exhibiting all the symptoms Tom Moran described in his article about his T's that suffered impaction. I can honestly say I'm already preparing myself for a very difficult goodbye.
If it is pooping (and you're sure it's the poop of the spider and not a feeder), it is not impacted. The cleaning behavior is a bit odd, but tarantulas do a lot of cleaning and weird behaviors after molting.

I imagine the stress curl could be from being constantly checked up on and the swabbing.

kerplunk

Arachnopeon
If it is pooping (and you're sure it's the poop of the spider and not a feeder), it is not impacted. The cleaning behavior is a bit odd, but tarantulas do a lot of cleaning and weird behaviors after molting.

I imagine the stress curl could be from being constantly checked up on and the swabbing.

I'v never saw it pooping in action but noticed additional feces around the enclosure as the days went by but his abdomen was perpetually wet from the frequent cleaning which really rhymes with what Tom Moran's article was describing regarding impaction. Anyway, I appreciate your input. My little guy has passed away already.. Big thanks to all who took the time to offer advice

kerplunk

Arachnopeon
Thank you to all who took the time to help. My little friend has passed away now.. This will easily be the saddest day of my year.

ThatsUnpossible

Arachnosquire
So sorry you lost your little guy :( It hurts.

I also read Tom Moran’s post and watched the video and it was very worrying and sad.

kerplunk

Arachnopeon
So sorry you lost your little guy :( It hurts.

I also read Tom Moran’s post and watched the video and it was very worrying and sad.
Thanks. I'm hoping this will also spread awareness about early signs of impaction. Just from my experience, incessant grooming of the anus and excessive use of cleaning fluids were the indicators and just like the article said, it ultimately led to my T's death.. I am praying for the day someone discovers a remedy for this cursed condition since learning from other keepers and my experience so far, once a T starts showing these symptoms you can pretty much prepare for a slow and painful goodbye..

ktul

Arachnopeon
I am hijacking this old thread as i am worried my stirmi has a similar problem.

I got her two weeks ago and she has refused food since. Her abdomen looks like she is in premolt so i was not worried.
She has been cleaning herself for at least 3 hours now and she is using hideous amounts of a clear liquid. I have never seen any of my other Ts do this so i am worried.

I could also not find anything on google concerning this topic. Is this normal with the species?

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
I am hijacking this old thread as i am worried my stirmi has a similar problem.

I got her two weeks ago and she has refused food since. Her abdomen looks like she is in premolt so i was not worried.
She has been cleaning herself for at least 3 hours now and she is using hideous amounts of a clear liquid. I have never seen any of my other Ts do this so i am worried.

I could also not find anything on google concerning this topic. Is this normal with the species?
You'd be better off making your own thread for future concerns, but it sounds relatively normal. They groom themselves with a clear liquid. But photos would help tremendously as there could be an underlying problem we can't see.

Rick Ocon

Arachnopeon
[/QUOTE
Can she survive?

Attachments