Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Wet Moult...?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Becky, Jul 17, 2007.

1. robc

robc Arachnoemperor Old Timer

Advertisement
    You have it backwards. The higher quality cat food contains - among other things - higher calcium, which is great for your cats but horrible for your roaches and therefore horrible for your T's. I made the same mistake initially, I gave my roaches very expensive cat food at first and I was told by one of the top roach breeders on this board, Rochelle, to use the cheap stuff - it's much better for the T's. You can also give yoru roaches fresh veggies, fruits, ect and that's good for your T but not high quality cat food.

2. robc

I agree, but a high calcium rate could affect exoskelton formation....rob

3. clam1991

clam1991 Arachnoangel Old Timer

im still intrigued on the gene problem
    like people with bad genes
    people that are born then later on in life gets diseases like diabetes
    its very perplexing
    but just like snakes if one is born albino it has a lower chance of survival
    so if a tarantula has a wet molt it could lower the chances for living but wouldnt automatically spell death for the creature

just some ideas to play with:D

4. ShellsandScales

ShellsandScales Arachnobaron

Well I use a mix of cat, dog, turtle, crock, tortoise, etc. Plus veggie and fruit scraps, left over bread heals, etc. I haven't noticed any negatives with my roaches. Not saying thats not true I just haven't noticed. I definitely haven't had any T problems...... so far. I will try and put my secondary colony on lesser dog and cat food and feed those only to my T's. I'll keep my main colony the same and only feed them to my geckos and other herps. I like the idea of boosted calcium for them!!!! Especially my new vorax gecko breeders and my amel fattail gecko breeders!!! I just use the good stuff because thats what I buy for my cats and dogs. I actually got a huge throw away from petco (my wife works there) and is about 80 lbs of all different kinds of mixed dog and cat foods that are less than premium. I'll start using that. Just because the bags were torn they were going to throw it all away!!! Dumb A#!* Petco. Thanks for the heads up!! But still I stand by my aversion to canned dog or cat food!!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  5. robc

That should work, you do more than most for your pets, my hats off to you:)

6. ShellsandScales

ShellsandScales Arachnobaron

Thanks I appreciate that. With a little luck and sweat in the next couple of years I can quit my job and focus on the animals exclusively. I really want to dedicate even more time to them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.